Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A statement has been released by the team that did the recovery. Agnes left one tank behind in order to navigate a series of restrictions. She was unable to navigate one restriction coming back and never reached her other tank. She DID have a line, she was NOT LOST. This is just a bad deal but not unexpected for people that dive at that level. I'm not sure what lesson there is to be learned here. As long as people push the limits this will happen. Gas management is crucial but we will never know if it would have helped if she turned earlier.

Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource

A statement has been released by the team that did the recovery. Agnes left one tank behind in order to navigate a series of restrictions. She was unable to navigate one restriction coming back and never reached her other tank. She DID have a line, she was NOT LOST. This is just a bad deal but not unexpected for people that dive at that level. I'm not sure what lesson there is to be learned here. As long as people push the limits this will happen. Gas management is crucial but we will never know if it would have helped if she turned earlier.

There is a definite lesson to be learned here. Gas management must be so much more conservative when you ditch half of your gas supply and continue penetration with only one cylinder. Especially when you are progressing through restrictions that don't allow for 2 cylinders and will most likely mean coming back in zero visibility. This passage was also small enough that turning around could have been problematic meaning exiting might have to be done backing out. Obviously enough gas was not reserved for a safe return to the ditched cylinder.

There is a definite lesson to be learned here. Gas management must be so much more conservative when you ditch half of your gas supply and continue penetration with only one cylinder. Especially when you are progressing through restrictions that don't allow for 2 cylinders and will most likely mean coming back in zero visibility. This passage was also small enough that turning around could have been problematic meaning exiting might have to be done backing out. Obviously enough gas was not reserved for a safe return to the ditched cylinder.

Maybe you can learn and use it since you are part gopher too. I learned I wil NEVER EVER turn my primary bottles into stage bottles. You know me, and like you I also think diving 1/3rds is not conservative enough in most places so there is no way im gonna be in that position.

Here's the latest media story FWIW, since the CDF link is only available to members:

The lure of the deep includes some quotes from Andy Higgins

If there is one lesson to be learned here, it is -- if you are going to live to the edge, then live each day as if it were to be your last.

With all her experience and successes, Agnes Milowka took calculated risk at a level that she must have felt to be worthwhile. Only those at that level of expertise can make such a decision for themselves.

since the CDF link is only available to members

Hmm, I'd have thought you you could read the forum (or at least parts of it) w/o registering. Maybe it's cuz it's linked to a particular post. Dunno.

Ya'll are welcome over at the CDF, ya hear!

Back
Top Bottom