Cave diving gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
just wanted to know some info on cave diving gear, I have heard some good remarks about OMS... are they a good company?, and what other good cave gear companies are out there?

Thanks
-JD:cool2:

just wanted to know some info on cave diving gear, I have heard some good remarks about OMS... are they a good company?, and what other good cave gear companies are out there?

Thanks

Good to see you back, Jordan.

As you were told yesterday, OMS and caves?

"Biscuits and mustard" I believe was how one caver put it.

slingblade.jpg

There is a lot more to it than just brand - some of there stuff is ok, but some of their stuff is not.

They are into plastic buckles on their harnesses and bungeed wings are a big NO in a cave. Their plates are deeper than some and flatter than others and they tend to have a lot of perimeter holes (neither good nor bad) left over from OMS's prior preference to use metal to metal connections on just about everything - another big NO. Their D-rings use heavier diameter wire than most - which is mostly a matter of preference. They are stonger (the need for that is arguable) but the downside is that a bolt snap has to open more to attach and detatch - which could be more of an issue with a slightly corroded boltsnap. I would say it is both a pro and a con.

So in short, even their basic one piece harness will need a new buckle, their plates are ok and their wings are ok only if you get a non bungeed model, stay away from dual inflators, and replace the ungodly long corrogated inflator hose they come with. Their stuff is overall not really cave oriented and is by no means superior to other stuff you can get for the same or less money. You would be better served by buying from dive-rite, deep sea supply or some other company with a better feel for the pulse of the cave community.

I would not buy an OMS reg. Ever.

On the other hand, the OMS Slipstream fins are excellent.

Thanks

OMS gear is not typically associated with cave diving. Dive Rite, Salvo and Halcyon, are all right in the heart of cave country and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to cave dive. Deep Sea Supply and Oxycheq have some nice stuff as well.

Best advice I can give you is talk to your instructor before purchasing gear. Odds are that if you are taking a cave course, many things will be available for rent (lights, tanks, maybe even BP/W and regs). No sense buying something that you'll end up chaninging or that won't really work for you. Many of us have already been down that path and have a closet full of stuff we dont need/use.

Good Luck!

P.S. the DIR link in my signature has a link with some good information on gear selection and setup that you might find helpful.

I can tell you I have heard enough negative feedback about OMS's customer service on this board, that I will never buy anything from them.

I dive Dive Rite and Oxycheq gear, depending on my configuration. I've had no issue with gear from either of these lines. Check out my LDS. They carry everything from both.

For myself , it's Dive Rite.
But then , when you live about 30 minutes from Lake City , it makes it EASY to get your stuff serviced etc.

Classic wing and regs myself.
And BOY do they get a workout. :D

I see a lot of OMS and Oxycheck around too.

Seeing all of the gear combinations down here in Cave Country , it's still personal choice.

Jean

P.S. For goodness sake , I am STILL using a set of Blue Mares with SStraps that I bought up in Minnesota fer sure. That's about 7 years on the SAME pair of fins , but I still love em. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom