Cave diving legislation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A friend of mine (activ member of Croatian cave diving comunity) asked me to post this letter here. She'e trying to get information on common practice and laws regulating cave diving in other countries, since situation in Croatia regarding cave diving (and diving in general) is becoming worse and worse every year. She'll collect your replies and make apeal to Ministry in charge in order to show that other countries don't have such strict prohibition.

You can contact her directly at ivasklempe@yahoo.com with your replies, direct answers to questions below or links pointing to useful information. Thanks in advance. Here's her letter:

Dear Sir/Madame

please, provide me information regarding legislature and permits for cave diving explorations in your country.

I'm a member of Caving Club Zeljeznicar from Zagreb, Croatia (Untitled Document ). One of our most important activity is cave diving. Currently, we have difficulties with obtaining permits for cave diving in our country. Untill this year we didn't have problems, but it was necessary to obtain the yearly permit from Ministry of culture, Nature Protection Department. Permit was valid for one year, and all we had to do is to provide them research report.

We didn't get this kind of permit for this year. They practically forbid us to cave dive in most locations and all our explorations plans are now questionable. From this year cave diving will be allowed only for certified scientific projects led by scientific institutions. As a Caving Club - we will not be able to get permit for topographic surveying, exploration and all other activities related to cave diving.

As we will try to negotiate with Ministry about our permit we're trying to collect information about cave diving legislature and permits in other European countries. Please, respond to following questions:

1. do you need special permits to cave dive in your country?
2. if you need permits is it for all cave diving locations or just some of them (if so, how many locations are under special protection)?
3. is this activity regulated (do you have nature protection laws wich regulate cave diving and speleological activity)?
4. do you need some yearly permit to pursue speleological explorations and visits to speleological objects?

If you need permits, could you send us example of one permit? Could you send us your laws wich regulate cave diving? Or give us the link to specific cave diving regulation in your country wich can be find in the Internet?
We need all information we can get, so dear collegues - please help us.

With Kind Regards,
Iva Sklempe

My cave diving group has been notified and they are collecting info. Will let you know how much will I have. This is bad news also for us because there is quite a group of Polish cave divers that used to go to Croatia for cave diving
Cheers
Mania

Iva is greatful to everybody that helped her with information in building her case. According to the latest information, some progress has been achieved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom