cave line, O-rings, inner tube...pictures please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regtechkidd

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok,
So I understand the pros and cons of each connection type and media for joining a hose and bolt snap. However I still have not been able to find a picture of how to do this using an O-Ring or inner tube!
Can somebody please show this?

Like this?

index.php

Or you can do this on both ends:

lower_boltsnap_removable_large.jpg

My rig: ScubaBoard Gallery - Mk7/BA

Inner tube to attach snap link to SPG and an o-ring on a primary rather than a dedicated snap link. I then use a double ender to clip it off when necessary.

I see, either way you are just tying two larks heads, or still using a zip tie with a small o-ring. The inner tube does not break easily. However, I am sure it will get more brittle after a few uses.

pro's of cave line being it won't come off unless you want it to...for the most part. cons being zero that I can think of

pro's of cave line being it won't come off unless you want it to...for the most part. cons being zero that I can think of

Cons - it's not breakable by hand. I prefer some of my connections to not require a cutting tool to break apart, like the SPG pictured below. If loss of a clip will not result in a loss of the item (spg, primary reg), I prefer o-ring connections. If loss of a clip will result in the loss of an item (back up lights) then I prefer cave line. YMMV

I went with the inner tube because, depending on my gear configuration, the couple inches it would stretch allowed me to see my SPG without unclipping. In the 5 years or so that I have used this, I don't recall any failures.

My general rule is if a connection failure can result in the loss of gear, I use cave line. If not, I use zip ties or inner tube

Cons - it's not breakable by hand. I prefer some of my connections to not require a cutting tool to break apart, like the SPG pictured below. If loss of a clip will not result in a loss of the item (spg, primary reg), I prefer o-ring connections. If loss of a clip will result in the loss of an item (back up lights) then I prefer cave line. YMMV

why would it need to be breakable by hand? that leads me to believe it would break unexpectedly.

why would it need to be breakable by hand? that leads me to believe it would break unexpectedly.

As far why I want it to break, I've had stuff snag a few times. Getting up off a bench on a rocking, crowded boat in doubles and something snagged on SPG. The o-ring connection popped allowing me to gain my footing. If I'd had a connection that didn't break, I probably would have fallen back against the bench and possibly injured or damaged something.

So what if it breaks unexpectedly? If it's attached to a hose or something you can't lose it. If cave line works for you, by all means use it. For me, I see value in alternatives.

Cave line can also break unexpectedly but is stronger than these other means discussed. With reasonable inspection, such breaks can easily be avoided in normal usage with any of these connection means. I went with the o-ring and zip tie connection on my primary mainly to avoid 6 more snap links. The dangling snap link was a tertiary consideration as was the easier break-away capability. The break-away capability is not "needed". But in some situations, it could be helpful and I don't see any situation where it could be a serious problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom