Cavern/cave diving and family concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent perspective, Rick.

First of all ask yourself this: Why Are you deciding to Learn Cavern Diving?

IF it is for some ego thing then You are not ready. If it is for additional knowledge and skills then you may be ready?

If it is so that you can safely dive the caverns and decide that today is not the day to dive them then you are starting to be ready

Take a look at your loved ones and tell them and yourself that it is every intention you have to come back at the end of the day and finish that day with them. Tell them that with your heart of hearts that you will stay well within the limits you plan the dive.

At the end of every one of those dives you appreciate them and the respect and trust that they have in you before you made that dive. And then once you make the dive you say thank-you

My wife is the one who wants to, and I'm the freaked one.

Put her in touch with me! Women cave divers are few and far between. It's tough finding other female cave diving buddies to share room and board. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't share a hotel room with a man who isn't my husband or related to me.

My husband of 32 yrs is an Army Special Forces colonel and he has a difficult time understanding my passion my cave diving. This is ironic because he jumps out of perfectly good airplanes! He is also a scuba diver and even took the cavern course with me, but that's as far as he was willing to go.

He has a difficult time understanding how cave divers are not synonymous with thrill-seekers or adrenaline junkies. I patiently explain that I dive caves because of the tranquility I experience in a cave, my interest in cautious and careful exploration, to hone my skills and to appreciate the amazing beauty and magic that one can only witness diving a cave.

Put her in touch with me! Women cave divers are few and far between. It's tough finding other female cave diving buddies to share room and board. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't share a hotel room with a man who isn't my husband or related to me.

Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll be joining the ranks :wink: .

I patiently explain that I dive caves because of the tranquility I experience in a cave, my interest in cautious and careful exploration, to hone my skills and to appreciate the amazing beauty and magic that one can only witness diving a cave.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to be able to experience.

I dive caves because of the tranquility I experience in a cave, my interest in cautious and careful exploration, to hone my skills and to appreciate the amazing beauty and magic that one can only witness diving a cave.

You have absolutely nailed it!

At the start of the new year I will be starting my cavern class with Jeff Bauer. Since i decided to do this, the girlfriend has been very worried and concerned since a good friend of her's had her father die in a cave last year (he was an OW instructor with no cave training.) I assume many of you have spouses who do not agree with the activity. How have you minimized the worry and concern for them?

Most people do not understand cave diving. Most people associate it with dry caving and squeezing through small holes. Take some time to explain the skills you will be learning and how they will build a foundation for your survival. Use metaphors to help them understand in layman's term how you manage your air supply:

For example the fuel gauge on their car and relate this to the rule of thirds

Explain to them the skills you will be learning and how these skills will arm you with knowledge to be successful in these environments. With cave diving there is a ton of misconconception. Clear the mist.

If they do not feel comfortable ask them what aspects do they feel unconfiortable with and work to help them understand how through skills knowledge and equipment you are minimizing theses problems.

In the end if you respect there feelings/opinions and they do not feel comfortable with the activities you choose it may create a rift.

Good Luck

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom