Cavern/Cave diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
List

The Cavern/ cave diving scene in Thailand has really caught on. Last year I hardly had any request for the cavern courses and now I have one course right after another. I just finished up with 5 cavern courses over the last couple of months with my students joining in on other cavern trips. I would have to say it does not compare to Florida and Mexico but my students have had a blast on the trips. The caverns/caves are in fresh water lakes with absolutely no current which is a bit change from diving around here. I have seen cat fish that where around a meter long that where probable a foot away from my face. The place the courses are run there is nothing but mountains everywhere you look and we leave out of the local villages. Hotels rooms are extremely cheap and clean (even for Thai standards) roughly $12.00 a night with aircon t.v. etc.For those of you coming over to Thailand it is worth the trip. Up there you will see what the "REAl" Thailand is like. Actually on the last trip we where told about a Buddah temple in around 50 meters which will be on the list for future dives.

andibk

Thailand is on my list of places to go in life, as I also know they have dry caves.

What agency do you teach cavern and cave thru? And do you have a course outline you could share with us so we can see how it compares to cavern courses taught in Florida and Mexico?

Wendy,
Yes I do have a standards and procedures that I go by that where written by are Training directors. The certification is by ANDI (American Nitrox Divers International). I did all of my training in Mexico through full cave with Steve Gerrard. I did receive a NACD certification from Steve Gerrard who used to be the Presidient of NACD. Most agencies teach the course in three days and as you can see I teach it in 4 days. During the course you will have a total of 6 dives. Minimum dive will be 45 minutes each. All of the same skills that are taught NACD, NSSCDS are taught on are courses.

andibk

Wendy:
Thailand is on my list of places to go in life, as I also know they have dry caves.

What agency do you teach cavern and cave thru? And do you have a course outline you could share with us so we can see how it compares to cavern courses taught in Florida and Mexico?

andibk:
List

The Cavern/ cave diving scene in Thailand has really caught on. Last year I hardly had any request for the cavern courses and now I have one course right after another. I just finished up with 5 cavern courses over the last couple of months with my students joining in on other cavern trips. I would have to say it does not compare to Florida and Mexico but my students have had a blast on the trips. The caverns/caves are in fresh water lakes with absolutely no current which is a bit change from diving around here. I have seen cat fish that where around a meter long that where probable a foot away from my face. The place the courses are run there is nothing but mountains everywhere you look and we leave out of the local villages. Hotels rooms are extremely cheap and clean (even for Thai standards) roughly $12.00 a night with aircon t.v. etc.For those of you coming over to Thailand it is worth the trip. Up there you will see what the "REAl" Thailand is like. Actually on the last trip we where told about a Buddah temple in around 50 meters which will be on the list for future dives.

andibk

Are there unexplored caves available for us to explore if I brought a couple sidemount and rebreather cavers?

I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you have them, post them here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom