Cavern Course with Johnny Richards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the ease of buoyancy in a wetsuit, but now that I am diving double 130s on technical dives, a drysuit makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Not sure how much a GPS helps, at least at first. My Garmin with its newly loaded maps and updated software is totally baffled by Florida in general and the High Springs area in particular. As you get close to Ginnie Springs, it tries to put you on roads that don't exist and thinks you are off-roading when you drive the existing roads. Punch in the address for a place like Amigos Dive Center and it will take you to the exact wrong end of that road. What I learned to do is input in the exact location of a place once I was there and save it in the favorites so that I would be able to find it again the next time I tried.

We had the same issue trying to find Amigos. The GPS took us down another road that ran parallel to the actual road Amigos is on. After driving around for 30 minutes, we ditched our pride and called Wayne for directions.

I never did find Amigos. I only had a little bit of time, but next time I am in the area. I want to go.

I did get to meet Rich Courtney of Cave Excursions East. He was hanging out in front of the Cadillac on Sunday night. We got to talk for a little while. Nice guy with a good sense of humor and good advice.

We had the same issue trying to find Amigos. The GPS took us down another road that ran parallel to the actual road Amigos is on. After driving around for 30 minutes, we ditched our pride and called Wayne for directions.

I never did find Amigos. I only had a little bit of time, but next time I am in the area. I want to go.

If you have Garmin, as I do, Amigos is on the other end of the road from which it sends you. Just go about 5 miles in the other direction from which it sent yo, and you will find it. It's a residential home, with a small sign that is easy to miss.

Garmin is positively baffled by that area in Florida. It shows roads where there are no roads and thinks you are off-roading while you are on established roads. Take it to Ginnie sometimes and see what it things of the roads around there.

What I ended up doing is putting every location I thought I might want to get back to into my Favorites (do this in the tools area--where am I) It will be able to find it then.

absolutely, john is right. i was lost on the road amigo's is on & called wayne & told him & he said to look for wisteria & daffodils! :D we found it eventually, in the other direction.

so, rich was hanging in front of the cadillac, huh? i guess cheryl booted him out for a while.

He was chatting with cave diver from Canada. Sharing stories and jokes.

If you have Garmin, as I do, Amigos is on the other end of the road from which it sends you. Just go about 5 miles in the other direction from which it sent yo, and you will find it. It's a residential home, with a small sign that is easy to miss.

Garmin is positively baffled by that area in Florida. It shows roads where there are no roads and thinks you are off-roading while you are on established roads. Take it to Ginnie sometimes and see what it things of the roads around there.

What I ended up doing is putting every location I thought I might want to get back to into my Favorites (do this in the tools area--where am I) It will be able to find it then.

Did you use the address or the GPS coords? My TomTom was perplexed by the address. Amigo's website now lists the coords. I've put them (the coords) in my TomTom and looking at the map, it appears to have it in the right place. I'll find out firsthand next week.

Did you use the address or the GPS coords? My TomTom was perplexed by the address. Amigo's website now lists the coords.

I was using the address. Once I found it, I put in the coords. It sounds like the problem is not limited to Garmin. I wonder what is causing it. As I said, that whole area of Florida seems to have my GPS buffaloed.

I was using the address. Once I found it, I put in the coords. It sounds like the problem is not limited to Garmin. I wonder what is causing it. As I said, that whole area of Florida seems to have my GPS buffaloed.

It does seem to be more than Garmin w.r.t. problems properly navigating via directions in N. FL. More proof that it's only cave divers and cattle rustlers who head to that part of the state!

I'm loading GPS coords whenever I can get them. If all I have is an address, I'm setting a favorite and then pulling it up on the map to verify that it looks like it's got the right location. I'm hoping that helps us next week. We'll be down there for the entire week.

You can just follow the path of my paypal payments (I hope to dive my new Shearwater this weekend).

A good place to enjoy a camp fire as well.

Good luch with your training.

Did you use the address or the GPS coords? My TomTom was perplexed by the address. Amigo's website now lists the coords. I've put them (the coords) in my TomTom and looking at the map, it appears to have it in the right place. I'll find out firsthand next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom