Cavern vs. Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The person I earned my Cavern Cert. from would fatally harm both me and my "buddy" if he knew what my friend wanted to do, since he was instrumental in getting iEagle's Nest reopened to the public and would not want any incidents to happen that would abort his hard work. (Oopps...that might have given away my instructor). But he in no way would give his blessing on my "buddy's" intentions or desires. I guess my real problem is that I need to find better buddy's to dive with that actually pay attention to their buddy rather than look at only their personal pleasure.

Ian and Major,

Thank you so much for the info. No, I have no business going to Eagle's Nest with my limited experience. I will enjoy this coming weekend to the point my "buddy" tries to desert me for his expanded experience, then will no longer dive with him. I'll invest in my own equipment (after all, money can be made to purchase stuff, once life is gone it's over for good), and find new buddies that actually care for the people they're diving with (or at least have a sense of responsibility). I see now where a lot of problems we've had previously are due to his self-destructive behavior that had consequences on me due to his inattention and lack of communication.

Based on the comments you've made about your "buddy" I would be hesitant to do an open water dive with him, much less a cavern/cave dive.

People that seem to have this reckless approach are the ones that end up restricting access to places for the rest of us.

Any chance you could encourage him to take up sky diving instead?

Then you could buy his gear, and he'd be out of the caves. Win/Win

"He said that the ballroom was large enough for me to explore and enjoy alone while he went into the cave, then he'd come up and we would ascend to the top together..."
So what will your plan be if he doesn't come up where/by when you expect him? Go in after him to find him? Or ascend without him?

One nice thing about scuba diving is that there are no scuba police. Its basically up to each diver to be responsible for her/his own safety. Cave AND Cavern diving requires additional training precisely because it is a more complex environment that puts far more potential situations in front of a diver than most open water environments.

The plan quoted above is a cluster waiting to happen.

You sound like a reasonably cautious and pragmatic person. Do you think you're ready for a dive plan involving solo diving in a cavern?

I hope you "think things through thoroughly" and enjoy diving within your own limits, with a buddy who cares about your concerns with respect to those limits.

(PS - ScubaBoard may be a way to find new buddies to dive with...)

Dive safe,

Doc

No, I'm not ready to dive solo (my "buddy" doesn't make plans.....he makes up the rules as he goes along). One good thing he told me was that if he passed out and sank deep or didn't return from a tunnel to not go looking for him. One fatality is enough. (Could that be his death wish? He wants to die, but not be alone when it happens????) My plan is once I feel uncomfortable to leave a tablet letting him know I surfaced and would meet him when (and if) he was done with his dive. I don't intend on being a statistic or ruining dives for other people because of poor choices. It'll never happen at Eagle's Nest, because after reading about it, I'm no where ready to even get wet there yet, let alone descend into the ballroom, with or without someone who knows what they're doing, so that part is out of the question at this point. I appreciate all you who have taken an interest in my question. I now have faith that there are responsible people who take diving seriously and care about those they dive with. WOW!! What a great bunch of people on this site!!!!!!

Sounds like that's a dive you need to abort before you leave the house and you're buddy doesn't sound much better.

Don't let someone guilt you into doing a dive beyond your limits. If you can't enjoy a dive that's "below" your limits then you're diving for the wrong reasons.

Please post a detailed itinerary of your trip so I can avoid being there when it happens.

dogbert.gif

Find a new buddy and rent the gear you need or want in cave country, but do not get in the water with a buddy like you described.:no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom