Cayman Brac input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback on Cayman Brac. We usually go to Bonaire or Curacao but might be looking for something different. X-Ray Mag stated Cayman Brac is now the best shore diving spot in the Caribbean. Just wanted to see if I am missing something before booking our next trip somewhere. Also where is a good spot to stay? How about car and tank rental?

I am looking for some feedback on Cayman Brac. We usually go to Bonaire or Curacao but might be looking for something different. X-Ray Mag stated Cayman Brac is now the best shore diving spot in the Caribbean. Just wanted to see if I am missing something before booking our next trip somewhere. Also where is a good spot to stay? How about car and tank rental?

We love Brac and have been told by others that it offers good shore diving, but we haven't tried it yet. We have shore dived in other places (Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, St. Croix, etc,) but not Brac - but there was a recent discussion on Scubaboard on that topic, see the link below: Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

We usually stay at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, a small diver-dedicated, all-inclusive resort, and we do boat dives with the onsite dive op (Reef Divers).

We generally rent a car for one day to tour the island but I am sure that longer rentals are available. You will need to pay $20 and show your license to get a temporary driving permit. You have to drive on the left but there is very little traffic on Brac so it is not a problem.

There are 2 dive ops on the island, Brac Scuba Shack as well as Reef Divers at the CBBR and both will rent tanks and weights. There are also condos and rental properties available.

One very nice thing about the Caymans is that you don't have to worry about your vehicle being robbed while you are shore diving, unlike Bonaire and Curacao.

Here some links that you might want to review:

Cayman Brac video:

Cayman Brac:
http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Travel_CaymanBrac_LawsonWood_60_locked.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/cayman.brac.diving/posts/874214046078664#

http://caribjournal.com/2015/09/15/journey-to-cayman-brac/

Cayman Brac free tours:
http://www.islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-brac

Day trip, one day car rental, McLaughlins email address? - Little Cayman Forum - TripAdvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k8593445-The_differences_for_a_diver_between_the_3_Cayman_islands-Cayman_Islands.html

Sister islands diving article:
http://www.alertdiver.com/Caymans_Sister_Islands

Additional photos:
http://www.alertdiver.com/Sister_Islands_gallery

Last edited:
Hi @tc_rain

I visited Cayman Brac for the 1st time last October. I did not know about the shore diving when I went and stayed at CBBR and did 3 boat dives per day Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017

While there, I investigated shore diving and posted the thread cited by @KathyV, above. The booklet mentioned, Shore Diving Guide to Cayman Brac, is a good resource and lists 26 shore diving sites in detail.

If you want additional information, I would suggest contacting Scuba Shack info@bracscubashack.com Caz was very responsive in answering my questions. I believe they would be willing to help with accommodations and car rental. For some months, they have a combo special including accommodations, car, boat and shore diving. I believe it would be worth combining boat and shore diving in order to visit some of very nice deep wall sites not readily accessible from shore.

I'm not sure Cayman Brac is poised to capture Shore Diving Capital of the Caribbean from Bonaire, but it certainly looks intriguing. Cayman Brac is very quiet, driving to shore diving sites would appear to be very easy. Would love to hear about your experience should you decide on Cayman Brac.

Good diving, Craig

I would have never guessed! :rofl3:

Laugh all you want, but I am tired of hearing Brac referred to as the homely step-sister of the Cayman Islands. It's a beautiful and safe place with great diving, lovely people, friendly groupers, and it isn't nearly as expensive as some folks believe - so I want to spread the word!

Last edited:
Laugh all you want, but I am tired of hearing Brac referred to as the homely step-sister of the Cayman Islands. It's a beautiful and safe place with great diving, lovely people, friendly groupers, and it isn't nearly as expensive as some folks believe - so I want to spread the word!

Only giving you a hard time. You and Brac are like me and cozumel :)

Don't spread the word too much. It will get busier and more expensive.
Cayman Brac is a nice place. I don't think you have much to worry about at this time. The carrying capacity was much greater before Divi Tiara closed in 2006, well before Hurricane Paloma in 2008. Then the associated time shares, Club Tiara, closed in 2008. I've already mentioned the closure of the Alexander Hotel in 2014. CBBR is a nice easy place to visit, it was not full when I visited in October. Maybe the popularity of their shore diving will take off, who knows? I certainly would not mind returning someday. So many places to dive, so little time...

Laugh all you want, but I am tired of hearing Brac referred to as the homely step-sister of the Cayman Islands.

Reading about the Cayman options on the forum over time, I suspect Brac gets 'pinched,' with people wanting topside activities directed to Grand Cayman, people wanting the allegedly 'best diving in the Caribbean' directed to Little Cayman, and Brac? Maybe the rest of you perceive a different rep., but the impression I got from postings over the years could be summed up as 'almost as good as Little Cayman, and cheaper' (comparing LCBR to CBBR, no consideration for shore diving).

If my impression of Cayman Brac's 'forum impression' is accurate, it could explain that 'homely step-sister' bit. If people want the best, why settle for less (if Brac is less and I'm not saying it is!)? If you're willing to compromise on that to enjoy a better topside experience, why not choose amongst the myriad offerings on Grand Cayman?

Do any of you get that same impression about how Brac is discussed? If it is, do you think that's fair, or off the mark?

An expanding shore diving scene could indeed by a game changer.

Richard.

Reading about the Cayman options on the forum over time, I suspect Brac gets 'pinched,' with people wanting topside activities directed to Grand Cayman, people wanting the allegedly 'best diving in the Caribbean' directed to Little Cayman, and Brac? Maybe the rest of you perceive a different rep., but the impression I got from postings over the years could be summed up as 'almost as good as Little Cayman, and cheaper' (comparing LCBR to CBBR, no consideration for shore diving).

If my impression of Cayman Brac's 'forum impression' is accurate, it could explain that 'homely step-sister' bit. If people want the best, why settle for less (if Brac is less and I'm not saying it is!)? If you're willing to compromise on that to enjoy a better topside experience, why not choose amongst the myriad offerings on Grand Cayman?

Do any of you get that same impression about how Brac is discussed? If it is, do you think that's fair, or off the mark?

An expanding shore diving scene could indeed by a game changer.

Richard.
Hi @drrich2

I generally don't directly compare dive locations or sites. I often think of them as being complimentary. The dive sites on Cayman Brac are not of the caliber of the best sites on the North Wall or the East End of Grand Cayman or Bloody Bay on Little Cayman, but they are very good and they are different. There is more to do on Cayman Brac than on Little Cayman, the cliffs, caves,...There appears to be considerably more shore diving on Cayman Brac than on Little Cayman, probably more than on Grand Cayman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom