Cayman Brac Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're contemplating a trip to Cayman Brac this coming winter and would like to hear from people regarding shore diving possibilities on the Brac. Any thoughts?

Neil

The Brac reef has the only dive operation that is in business currently, I have dove with the Divi and have done shore dives with their tanks. I have also dove with the Brac reef, but never used their tanks for shore diving. I can tell you where the shore diving is, so it would depend on your arrangement with the Brac Reef...if you can get tanks. There is no other op currently working on the island as far as I know, I have heard of two other individuals who are attempting to be independent DM's but I know of no details.

Thanks for the replies. If we go to the Brac, obviously it'll be at Brac Reef Resort. and they don't mention anything about shore diving in their advertizing. The shore dive map was excellent - thanks.

Neil

bigz:
Thanks for the replies. If we go to the Brac, obviously it'll be at Brac Reef Resort. and they don't mention anything about shore diving in their advertizing. The shore dive map was excellent - thanks.

Neil

Neil, there are plenty of homes to rent on the island but where you will be able to get tanks for shore diving may be the question. From what I can tell, the Brac Reef may rent them out but "if" they will is the big question along with what kind of cost is involved. The Brac reef does not advertise shore diving.

All the best

ianr33:

As the author of the above webpage, I'm obligated to provide an update (hopefully, I'll remember to do the HTML soon too!)

IMPORTANT NOTE: a Dive Flag is required equipment for shore diving on the Brac. Failure to have one is a CI$500 fine.

The wierd thing is that this rule has been around for years, and for the most part, few people cared.

However, there's recently been some local political friction between various locals that may change this. In simplest terms, there's a "disliked-by-some" individual that dives without a flag, and their unpopularity might result in any "flagless bubbles" to be reported to the authorities in the hopes that this local will get caught and fined. Since its hard to ID divers while they're underwater, a visitor diving without a flag might be mistaken for this "not loved" individual and thus reported in a case of mistaken identity.

Buccaneer: Drive to Tibbets Square and then ...

UPDATE: The Buccaneer property has been sold and a fence installed. One can still drive down to the waterfront, but there's not much room to turn around at the bottom or park. The good news is that it looks like someone "borrowed" a diveboat ladder from Dive Tiara and has installed it on the ironshore in the inlet, so water access has been made much easier. Remember to take a compass bearing on the Bucaneer mooring ball so as to help you navigate out & back to the reef. The mooring ball is tied off to a huge old iron anchor, which makes for a good navigation reference for the site

On the north side: West End Not a boat ramp, but it does have water access. Go west (left) on the road towards the airport. Go past the airport turnoff...

UPDATE: the better part of this site is out and to the left of the road (think "10 o'clock" direction). It is also a shallower site that's good for snorkeling. It does have a local name - - I think its "fishbowl"? (I have it written down at home).

Northside - Duppy Reef - go to Radar, but turn left (west) and follow road down along coast. The second ironshore cut just before where the road turns left...

UPDATE: Be particularly prudent in making sure to use a dive flag in this area. The "Lost City of Atlantis" site is located between here and Radar Reef.

Finally, an excellent resource for shore diving on the Brac is Skip Harper's book, "Adventuring on Cayman Brac"; its available on Amazon: ISBN: 0964064529

-hh

Thanks, -hh, for that thorough and obviously knowledgeable reply. It looks like we may just settle for lots of boat diving and do some snorkelling. :blinking:
Neil

-hh:
IMPORTANT NOTE: a Dive Flag is required equipment for shore diving on the Brac. Failure to have one is a CI$500 fine.

Hh - where does the obligation to use a flag and the fine come from?

Back
Top Bottom