Cayman Brac Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nipi:
-hh:
IMPORTANT NOTE: a Dive Flag is required equipment for shore diving on the Brac. Failure to have one is a CI$500 fine.

Hh - where does the obligation to use a flag and the fine come from?

I don't know the precise chapter & verse for the Government regulation, but the policy is reflected within the voluntary Cayman Islands Watersports Operators Association (CIWOA) on page 3 of their 'Safe Dive Standards', which states:

"25 - All shore divers must have a dive float/flag in the water. This float/flag may be their personal float/flag, a loaned or rental one. All shore divers must be informed of the Cayman Islands laws and regulations requiring a float/flag for all shore diving activites."

FWIW, it might seem a bit odd that shore diving would be even mentioned under the CIWOA rules since most operations dive almost exclusively by boat, but there is some "operator hosted" shore diving that takes place, so they're just passing forward the Government regulation.

This is IMO no different than how the CIOWA similarly lists a policy of maintaining at least 200yds standoff to not approach a moored vessel (presumably flying the Diver Down flag): this is merely a reiteration of the reguation that applies to ALL vessels, which I learned last month when our diveboat got "buzzed" (while we were retreiving divers) by the Cayman Government's Department of Environment's workboat. Needless to say, there followed a bit of a ruckus on radio Channel 16.

FYI (and unfortunately), the Cayman Government has not yet made a public announcement of this, but that DoE workboat is present to conduct the removal of select moorings on Brac & Little Cayman (Bloody Bay) to force a rest.

Since nothing's been officially said, the magnitude of the impact is to be determined, but the grapevine says that the majority of the impact will be on Little Cayman's Marine Park areas in Bloody Bay & Jackson's Bight: details are absent, but customers heading down to Little Cayman may be in for a rude surprise to find {several? most?} of the famous divesites closed off for the next few years. I've heard "the List" and every famous site is on it, but what's unknown is what sites for what year(s) in what rotation order, etc. Individual opinions seem to be pretty uniform in predicting that 'Mixing Bowl' will probably be one of the first to be pulled...we'll have to wait and see.

Overall, this is really good news because these sites have seriously declined in quality and health, and giving them a rest is 5-10 years overdue, as many of these (such as Mixing Bowl) have been in continuous use now for roughly 20 years without any break. The problem is really only with the Cayman authorities doing a poor job of communicating with the public what they're doing, why, and their implimentation schedule.

-hh

Removing moorings to rest sites has to be a good thing. I'll still be able to find the chimney at Randy's from the shore but I'm not sure how I'm expected to dive it with my flag in tow.

Just got back from Brac yesterday and dove with Reef Divers at Brac Reef all week.
They have a sign posted that says something to the effect of....due to entering the busy season and the disappearance of tanks we are unable to fill individual tanks for rental at this time.
Don't quote me on the exact verbiage and sorry I didn't take a photo of the sign.

Diving for us newbs was awesome. We dove at Brac and Little Cayman and both were terrific. Brac was one of the few places that we've traveled that was difficult for us to leave. Happy to answer any questions and hope to post a trip report soon.

Avoidthebends,

Almost time to go ! See you there. We'll be the two divers with the National Aquarium in Baltimore logos on our wetsuits. Be happy to meet you, be sure to say "hi"

During our visit to the Brac we did a two shores dives. The public beach was one. We also went further east a long the south side road and did another shore dive. We christened it Refrigerator Reef for the old abandoned frig on shore. It made a nice land mark for finding the site and returning to shore. I doubt the frig is still there.

BTW we rented out a friends place while on Brac - he still rents it out for a reason price. I can pass details on in PM.

Bummer that they will not let tanks out for individual use. A couple of shores was worth while. But then again in the afternoons we went climbing.

I just returned from Brac last week. As was mentioned above, Reef Divers is the only dive shop operating on Brac, so they were very busy. They do have a sign on the door saying tanks are not available for rent. However, if you are boat diving with them you can get tanks for shore diving. You can also get a float with a dive flag from the dive shop to use on shore dives. We did an afternoon dive at Radar Reef. It has steps that make entry and exit into the water very easy. It's about a 150-yard surface swim out to the mooring buoy, and if you drop down the line you will be very close to the dolphin statue that was put down a few years ago. It makes for a nice photo op.

caymaniac:
The Brac reef has the only dive operation that is in business currently, I have dove with the Divi and have done shore dives with their tanks. I have also dove with the Brac reef, but never used their tanks for shore diving. I can tell you where the shore diving is, so it would depend on your arrangement with the Brac Reef...if you can get tanks. There is no other op currently working on the island as far as I know, I have heard of two other individuals who are attempting to be independent DM's but I know of no details.

I have a sister in the Brac and I can verify that Reef Divers, the only place to get tanks, is maxed out and you better contact them ahead of time to secure your tanks. In truth the resort is booked until next August and their first priority is for their boat divers, not the 10 dollar tank divers who require alot of time and effort for very little revenue so make sure you contact them to get a commitment. Divi and the two potential new operators are not even close to being a reality yet so don't take a chance. The shore diving on the Brac is great but the boat diving is well worth the trip especially if the weather is rough... good chance in the winter! But of course you get what you pay for.

There website I think is reefdive@candw.ky

Hope that helped, I would hate to see you stranded without O2 on shore.

Steve

is there transportation to the shore diving sites?
would there be shore diving at the brac reef resort itself?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom