Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay, most of the diving on LC is on the north side, unless the weather prevents it. On the Brac, the good dive sites are split about 50/50 north or south, and weather is often the determining factor in which sid gets dived more often during a 7 day trip. All of the reports I have heard indicated that the south side of all three islands is pretty well trashed above about 30', while there is some noticeable damage down to about 60'. The north sides of all three islands are reported to be in much better condition, and I can testify that LC's north side had very little noticeable damage of any kind below about 20', and only a few sponges and fans down above 20'. I would expect conditions on the north side of the Brac to be similar to those on LC.

Kay:
Welcome home!

Well, that was sort of a sad report. However, anything living thing that evolved in the Carribean had to be able to recover from hurricanes, so I am confident that the reef will return. Don't know that it will be vastly better by the time that we arrive on February 26, but I am still excited to be going. As I am writing this, the snow is just ending outside my window. I would WAY rather be diving in the Carribean with diminished sea life than to be looking at snow and gloomy skies!

We are staying at the Caribe Sands but can dive with either Divi or Reef, so your information is helpful. Did you go over to LC? I assume that the damage was similiar?

Again, welcome home. I hope you had a great trip even though the diving was disappointing.

Sorry KAy! I really did not mean to say that the diving was disappointing. Since I am in Florida I am extremely sensitive to "hurricane damage". The diving is still awesome just a little different than the last time we were there in May.

You are correct about nature recovering. Our trees got damaged with Charlie on August 13th and they have new growth! IT is really amazing how they are growing actually!

Take care!

AggieDiver:
Kay, most of the diving on LC is on the north side, unless the weather prevents it. On the Brac, the good dive sites are split about 50/50 north or south, and weather is often the determining factor in which sid gets dived more often during a 7 day trip. All of the reports I have heard indicated that the south side of all three islands is pretty well trashed above about 30', while there is some noticeable damage down to about 60'...
The winds have been howling at 20 knots out of the NE the past few days, so we have been diving the south shore sites ever since last Wednesday. I've now been around to almost all of them. On the deeper sites (e.g. Patty's Place, Dynamite Drop, Charlie's Chimney's, Black Hole) I can't see any evidence of damage anywhere. On the sites closer in to shore (e.g. Gay's Reef, Windsock, Grundy's Reef) you do notice some debris down in the sand channels that shouldn't be there, and I've seen some Elkhorn coral stands at ~25' that look like they got hit pretty hard. You really have to know what you're looking for, though, to notice the difference. What's fascinating to me is seeing the Elkhorn already starting to come back. And the critters don't seem to notice anything new! There's just as much life on even the shallow south shore reefs as I ever recall seeing.

My anemometer is still showing 18 kts from NNE, so I'm sure we'll be back on the south shore tomorrow. That's fine with me, because I think the deep south shore sites on LC are truly fabulous. But we have a new bunch of divers this week, and they've all heard about Bloody Bay, so I'm sure they'll be clamoring for a trip to the north side. Every now and then we charge around the point to give them a taste of rough water, and then they're genuinely glad to get back to the protected sites on the south side!

Bruce

I think I was not clear in my comparison post (lack of sleep does that).

I really wanted to say that I would go back to the Brac Reef Club in a minute! I personally think the security of having highly attentive Dive Masters is worth any little problems that the hotel may be experiencing. The diving is really the only reason I go to Cayman Brac. I think the added touches and extra steps that the DM at Reef Divers take makes your entire experience much more enjoyable. IT is a great feeling to be able to relax and enjoy a dive as opposed to worrying about if you are going to get lost in an unfamiliar place. I know that I can enjoy the tour with the DM's at Reef Divers and not worry about anything! Works for me!!!!

I do think if you are looking for ala carte diving you may want to investigate the Divi divers. They allow more choices in where you go but you will have to navigate your own tour.

Hope this clears up any confusion that I may have caused! I am pretty stuck on Reef Divers!

Well, here's my dilemma. Although I have been a snorkeler for what seems like 200 years, I just became a certified diver this past summer. So.... at this point, I do really need to go with people who can provide support/guidance. Are you thinking that the Reef Club would be better suited to my newbie needs? I'm a highly dedicated learner, but I am brand new to the nuances of diving. Hopefully, whatever I lack in experience, I make up for in enthusiasm. My friend who is travelling with me is not a diver, so I'll be needing a buddy as well. I assume that there will probably be people who are buddyless on the dives? How does this work?

Thanks for all your patience with my endless questions!

Bruce, all of those places sound enticing to me. I'll think about that under my giant pile of blankets tonight!

Kay,
Given your requirements If I were in your situation I would request to be with Mick at Reef Divers. He is a very attentive methodical DM. I felt completely comfortable with him. He goes slow and shows you exciting underwater play things. He is very concerned for what type of experience his guests have. HE takes special care to deliver you back to the boat at the end of his time in the water. At this point you can either continue to explore near the boat or get on board.

I am a fairly experienced diver (150 dives) with advanced training. I generally navigate around reefs but I completely enjoy just "following" for a change. Mick allowed me this pleasure without any concerns.

Hope this helps!

Ann

dive4funOften:
Kay,
Given your requirements If I were in your situation I would request to be with Mick at Reef Divers. He is a very attentive methodical DM. I felt completely comfortable with him. He goes slow and shows you exciting underwater play things. He is very concerned for what type of experience his guests have. HE takes special care to deliver you back to the boat at the end of his time in the water. At this point you can either continue to explore near the boat or get on board.

I am a fairly experienced diver (150 dives) with advanced training. I generally navigate around reefs but I completely enjoy just "following" for a change. Mick allowed me this pleasure without any concerns.

Hope this helps!

Ann

Ann, that totally helps. Thanks ever so much. I'll do my best to find Mick.

Kay:
Well thanks, everyone! Actually, I made reservations at the Caribe Sands today. Now I read that I can choose Dive Tiara or Reef Divers. Does anyone have experience with either or both of them? Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a great time at Divi Tiara two summers ago.

Kay,
I stayed at Caribe Sands and dove with Reef Divers. I had a great time. Mick would be an excellent DM for you but so would all the others there. We had a screw up getting there and missed the first day of diving. They put us on the boat full of new divers from a huge group that had most of the resort. After the first dive the DMs left us alone to dive however we pleased. But they looked agter the rest of the divers as needed.
Go and have a great time....no worries.
Joe

boulderjohn:
Kay:
Well thanks, everyone! Actually, I made reservations at the Caribe Sands today. Now I read that I can choose Dive Tiara or Reef Divers. Does anyone have experience with either or both of them? Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a great time at Divi Tiara two summers ago.

I have used both ops. We like both but lean torward the Divi if we have to choose. They are alittle more organized, they go to LC more often, their boats have been in better shape, the DMs will listen to your requests. This is a personal opinion.
Hope you have a blast.
Caymanaic :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom