Cayman in mid june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greta-inbaja

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read so many threads on the Caymans that i am now trying to organize a birthday trip for mid june. I am thinking of Cayman Brac. As far as Caribbean diving goes, we have been to Coz, Bonaire, Curacao, . We like remote sites the best. Probably going with Brac scuba shack as we like smaller boats and we also plan to do a bit of shorediving. Probably will rent a place so we can cook in a bit. How is it there in June and is it blazing hot? Scattered showers?. We are traveling from the Reno Nevada region and just getting there is kind of a ordeal so we dont want to be weathered out of too many dives. It looks like I probably will have to go thru Grand Cayman. Is it worth it to stay there a night or 2 to check out diving there? We have lots of wiggle room in our schedule. Just trying to combine airline miles and $$ to offset the cost. Looks like I can get to grand Cayman relatively easy. Just trying to get the most for our travel buck and time. We usually dive in Baja and Asia as they are easy to get to from the west coast. So.... any hints and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the ramble

There are some Cayman Air flights directly to Brac from Miami but I don't know if they will be available during the slow season.

I think it is worthwhile to spend a little time on GC to check out the beach and the restaurants and there is some very good shore diving available on GC - but the wait to fly rule does apply to the short flights between Grand Cayman and the Sister Islands, so you would have to figure that into your time frame.

It's hot because you will be in the tropics in June, but it's not August hot; and although June is the start of the hurricane and storm season, most of the big storms come later in the summer and fall, see the link below.

It often rains once a day for a short while and then the sun comes out and things quickly dry out. It is low season so prices are cheaper, there's no guarantees about the weather but I wouldn't hesitate to go to Cayman in May or June.

A lot of families travel to GC in the summer when the kids are out of school, but I would guess that July and August would probably be the most popular months.

If you like remote places then you will definitely like Brac!

@EastEndDiver and @mi000ke both own property on GC so maybe they have more info about Cayman in June.

Hurricanes and Storms

I just came back from Brac two weeks ago. I cannot comment on Brac Shack because I stayed at Cayman Brac Beach Resort and dove with Reef. However, I would leave plenty of time in your layover on Grand Cayman. You will find out Cayman Air isn't the most organized airline. The security line in Grand Cayman caused us to miss our flight to Brac and we had a 2 hour layover there. Also pack atleast a change of clothes in your small personal bag because the plane is small going to Brac and sometimes they cannot fit everyones bags on the plane. A few people in our group didn't get their bags until the next night because of this and atleast now theres only a handful of flights that go back and forth between GC and the Brac daily. I highly recommend if you dive with the Brac Shack to see if you can one day go over to Little Cayman and dive the Bloody Bay Wall. Its amazing and worth it even if it does cost extra. Hope you have a good time!

Wanting a remote place....you'll definitely have privacy on the Brac.

Thanks! I read on here about the the issues with Cayman airlines. Planning on giving ourselves a lot of time. I did find what I thought was a decent fare f
Fort Lauderdale to grand Cayman $64. Used miles for Reno to FLL. Now hunting for my flight out. I didnt see any direct flight to miami from cayman brac during our time. The website is doesn't function well. Probably doesn't help that I am on my computer in Mexico with crappy internet. I'm hoping for 10-14 days .It sure would be nice if we can get to bloody bay wall. We are looking forward to it. Here in Baja there's lots of fish, big schools , sharks, so much sealife.. But... not much coral or color. Should be fun

Thanks! I read on here about the the issues with Cayman airlines. Planning on giving ourselves a lot of time. I did find what I thought was a decent fare f
Fort Lauderdale to grand Cayman $64. Used miles for Reno to FLL. Now hunting for my flight out. I didnt see any direct flight to miami from cayman brac during our time. The website is doesn't function well. Probably doesn't help that I am on my computer in Mexico with crappy internet. I'm hoping for 10-14 days .It sure would be nice if we can get to bloody bay wall. We are looking forward to it. Here in Baja there's lots of fish, big schools , sharks, so much sealife.. But... not much coral or color. Should be fun

The coral is beautiful and very healthy!

Attachments

• 1-310146.jpg
    1-310146.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1-310147.jpg
    1-310147.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1-1010152.jpg
    1-1010152.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-1050048.jpg
    1-1050048.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 86
  • untitled-1050023.jpg
    untitled-1050023.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 68
  • untitled-1050045.jpg
    untitled-1050045.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 70

Poor you! Planning a trip to Cayman while enjoying the weather in Baja!

If you only plan to spend a few days on GC then you should probably stay on the Seven Mile Beach area to check out the sights, but it is not a remote, quiet, or inexpensive area.

If you are thinking of spending a week on GC and doing shore and boat diving before heading over to Brac, then post your info here and SB members can give you some good advice. There are some quiet, lovely, remote and more economical areas on GC away from 7MB and George Town with good access to diving.

FLL to GCM for $64 is a great fare! Is that Southwest?

June is a great time to visit and dive the Caymans. You could have water temps toasty warm at 82-84 or warmer, especially in the shallows. The Caymans will not be blazing hot as there are usually breezes and I thought I heard or read that the Caymans are popular with Texans who go in the summer months to escape the Texas heat.

I like Cayman Airways and have never had an issue using it from the US to GCM.

Never been to COZ, but been to BON and CUR. You will enjoy the topography diversity in the Caymans, walls, swim throughs, tunnels and arches. Love BON and CUR, but the diving topography there generally is relatively uniform gradual slope to depth. Can get boring. Yes there are some double reefs, and rarely spur and groove formations, but it is mostly that gradual slope to depth. GCM topography is the big plus. I think Bon and CUR may be a bit more fishy but the interesting topography in GCM more than makes up for any difference. Enjoy your trip

June can be pleasant weather-wise. Temps will be in the mid to high 80s during the day and high 70s to maybe 80 at night. Water should be in mid 80s. Wind should be reasonable. As @tkaelin mentioned we've met a lot of folks from Texas who come to avoid the summer heat. Cayman temps fluctuate within a pretty narrow range year round. It's the wind and waves that come in October through early January that are more of an issue re: diving. But on GC there is usually a side of the island where you can dive. June you would be able to do the North wall off Grand Cayman.

There might not be a direct from MIA to Brac in June since it's low season. I think that they typically only have that route during high season.

Thanks for all the help! Yes KathyV, we r lucky to be in Baja. Lots of whale action right now. Heading north on Sat. So, we r in the Caymans 13 days. Jun7-20 . Didn't book the flight to CB yet. I thought there 64$ fort Lauderdale was a steal. It's 138. GC back to FLL. And it avoids Miami immigration. Now i am figuring out how long in GC. We r not nitro certified. Haven't needed it and I guess just lazy. Maybe a good idea in Cayman with all the walls? And multiple days of multiple dives?? Any recommendations for places in GC would be helpful also. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom