Cayos Cochinos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33pdiv3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Cayos Cochinos :yeahbaby: for a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions. I've never been to Honduras before and I've only been diving in Costa Rica, so I'm pretty excited for a change of above-/underwater scenery.:palmtree:

Since I'll be there for 3 weeks and diving quite frequently, it's probably best to invest in some gear. I definitely want to get fins and a mask, as I've always had problems with rentals in the past. The guy from the resort suggested I get a wetsuit, which makes sense b/c I definitely don't want to be in...whatever goes on in rentals...lol. Those, I think, are the most important things for me to have, unless anyone can think of something else? As for where to purchase this stuff, should I try and find a dive shop so I can try them on or is online safe? Any recommendations of brands? I've always borrowed so I don't know what is too expensive, or what brand is the Gucci of diving suits, but I'd like to get something that's not cheap, but not crazy expensive.

If anyone has been to PBR personally, do you have any suggestions on anything else I should bring or that I don't need to bring? I've heard the mosquitoes are bad, so I'll plan on packing my Deet. Anything else?

I'll take any advice or suggestions available...even if it's a recommendation on a certain drink! :martini: I appreciate all of it!

Thanks everyone for reading! I can't wait for this trip...it's much needed! :dance:

Cheers,
Heather

Heather,

I hope you have taken precautions about malaria. Honduras is a malaria zone. I was on Roatan for 2 weeks diving in May. I did not see any mosquitos. I did get sand flea bites but those were not many and I did not react much.

Have fun diving.

Pat

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that.

Are you asking if I'm taking the chloroquine (sp?) pills? I'm not taking anything, but I have had just about every vaccination possible (required for a previous a previous trip I took). Last time I took those pills, they made me sick. I'll definitely look into that, though.

Hiya Heather

I'd go to the dive shops and find things that fit.

You'll want a mask that seals properly and I noticed you didn't mention a snorkel, good thing because... snorkels suck

You'll want a wetsuit that fits properly and get a full length one, 3/2 mm should do it. Shorties suck, not so much for the cold but because of scrapes, scratches and those mysterious things that float through the water, stick to you, and sting you, like broken up jellyfish tentacles.

You'll want a pair of booties and some cold water fins over those slip on warm water jobs. The booties/strap fins combination is way more comfortable and you'll probably own and use these for the rest of your life so get something you like.

Price wise ? I'd comparison shop but since you're going to be spending a whack of cash at PBR I wouldn't let the price bother you to much. Consider what you're going to be spending renting a reg and BCD. PBR's website says $10/item/day, so there's $20/day x 3 weeks = $400 just on gear rental.

Don't forget, average $5/tank tip + 10% of your bill for the cleaning staff ( tip ) + 16% Honduran tax

You may want to consider looking around Utila and seeing if anyone there is selling BCDs or regs and try before you buy.

I don't do antimalarials, my plan is to cut and run if people are coming down with it and they do nothing for/against the dengue fever that fells many a traveller. DEET, long sleves, long pants, socks with sandals ( yea I know I'm a geek ) and simply going inside while the bugs are doing their thing will go a long way to protecting you from having your holiday ruined.

Sunscreen.
Decongestant and cough syrup, just in case.
Enough stuff on your computer to keep you entertained should you have internet access issues
Flashlight(s)

Three weeks, that's a long time in such a small place like PBR. You might not want to leave Utila after you've experienced it.

Hi I went to Cayos last summer for 4 days at PBR. This place is quite special, as well as the people who run the place. If you are looking for a trip to an off the beaten path place then this is for you. The accomodations are simple but comfortable. The food was good, served family style and ample portions. The views are amazing, and the cove is calm. This is a remote place. There are no stores, or any other services. Bring everything you may want for your trip with you. If you are staying for a long time, then you may be able to have stuff brought out when new guests arrive. Internet is limited and video downloads consume too much bandwidth, but this may have changed. Bring an underwater dive light for night dives and extra batteries. Check with your doctor before you go to honduras for vacinnes. Three weeks might be a long time, you may want to be flexible once you arrive and spend some time there

Heather,
I hope you have taken precautions about malaria. Honduras is a malaria zone. I was on Roatan for 2 weeks diving in May. I did not see any mosquitos. I did get sand flea bites but those were not many and I did not react much.

I would guess that Cayos is malaria free. Utila is. I have heard of just a few cases of malaria on Utila and it seems they were all contracted on the mainland. I have never used malarial precautions or anyone else I know who lives on Utila. I regularly travel to Cayos spend the day and have friends who spend several nights never with a worry.

Ask the resort if you are worried. Personally I wouldn't bother taking those heavy duty meds if all you are doing is flying into San Pedro and then heading straight out to Cayos. If you are worried take them!

However, there is nothing in Cayos Cochinos. You will need to bring everything with you from sunscreen, meds, insect repellent, toiletries, spare batteries, and so on. Basically everything you might want! There are no stores or come to that no roads for stores to be on. Boats are the only transport. I haven't even seen a bicycle there!

i disagree about buying a snorkel. i say buy a dry snorkel. anyone who's been in rough open water for any length of time waiting for the boat to pick them up (or find them) has thanked god they had a (dry) snorkel to breathe through.

Hiya Heather

I'd go to the dive shops and find things that fit.

You'll want a mask that seals properly and I noticed you didn't mention a snorkel, good thing because... snorkels suck

yea, i hate snorkels, too, but i might as well get one cuz i might snorkel on a day i decide not to dive.

You'll want a wetsuit that fits properly and get a full length one, 3/2 mm should do it. Shorties suck, not so much for the cold but because of scrapes, scratches and those mysterious things that float through the water, stick to you, and sting you, like broken up jellyfish tentacles.

You'll want a pair of booties and some cold water fins over those slip on warm water jobs. The booties/strap fins combination is way more comfortable and you'll probably own and use these for the rest of your life so get something you like.

i definitely want to get the booties/strap fins!!! when i did my open water cert, i used a pair a plastic slips on that destroyed my heels, i could barely walk. i had to borrow the owner's wife's booties and fins, plus tape bandaids all around my feet, and wear socks. and it still hurt. :(

Price wise ? I'd comparison shop but since you're going to be spending a whack of cash at PBR I wouldn't let the price bother you to much. Consider what you're going to be spending renting a reg and BCD. PBR's website says $10/item/day, so there's $20/day x 3 weeks = $400 just on gear rental.

Don't forget, average $5/tank tip + 10% of your bill for the cleaning staff ( tip ) + 16% Honduran tax

so we're doing 4 tank dives, but we also have unlimited shore diving. you're saying i'm gonna need to tip $20 each day i dive? i really don't know anything about tipping for diving actually. do i tip the dm and the captain? hmmm...maybe i should have gone for 2 weeks...haha :)

You may want to consider looking around Utila and seeing if anyone there is selling BCDs or regs and try before you buy.

won't be near utila. just flying into to san pedro, then la ceiba, and getting pick up bright and early.

I don't do antimalarials, my plan is to cut and run if people are coming down with it and they do nothing for/against the dengue fever that fells many a traveller. DEET, long sleves, long pants, socks with sandals ( yea I know I'm a geek ) and simply going inside while the bugs are doing their thing will go a long way to protecting you from having your holiday ruined.

Sunscreen.
Decongestant and cough syrup, just in case.
Enough stuff on your computer to keep you entertained should you have internet access issues
Flashlight(s)

Three weeks, that's a long time in such a small place like PBR. You might not want to leave Utila after you've experienced it.

should be a good time! i'm taking online classes while i'm out there, and i've got a ton of reading to do.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

I think I might have screwed up the quotes thing, but I'm sure you can figure out what I wrote :)

Hi I went to Cayos last summer for 4 days at PBR. This place is quite special, as well as the people who run the place. If you are looking for a trip to an off the beaten path place then this is for you. The accomodations are simple but comfortable. The food was good, served family style and ample portions. The views are amazing, and the cove is calm. This is a remote place. There are no stores, or any other services. Bring everything you may want for your trip with you. If you are staying for a long time, then you may be able to have stuff brought out when new guests arrive. Internet is limited and video downloads consume too much bandwidth, but this may have changed. Bring an underwater dive light for night dives and extra batteries. Check with your doctor before you go to honduras for vacinnes. Three weeks might be a long time, you may want to be flexible once you arrive and spend some time there

It's funny, that's pretty much the first thing I hear...how remote Cayos is. I should be okay...I hope. I'm definitely bringing my computer and I'll have lots of work to do, so it might be a good thing. I only need 3 things: a beach, a bar, and a book, and I'm happy! :)

How many guests were there while you were there? Did you get your choice of room?

Thanks!!

According to CDC data (which may well be dated), malaria is present in Roatan and other Bay Islands. I would personally prefer to do the antimalarial. If Chloroquine makes you sick (it's a 1x/week dose for malaria prophylaxis), there are other medicines. Anecdotally, Malarone is well-tolerated. With any of the antimalarials, take with plenty of food and water.

Back
Top Bottom