Cayos Cochinos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi heather, There were about 6 to 8 guests when we were there. There were a few visitors for dinner or drinks, (passing yachters). I wouldnt worry about rough seas, as most dive sites are close or in protected bays. Bring some music to share and an easy going attitude and you will have a great trip. Online studies are a great way to spend your free time, especially if the weather is bad. I dont know about their current internet capabilities. You may want to print out some study guides at home if you have limited access. We didn't have choice of room, however we had the end room in the far building, and were very happy with the room. Be sure to spend time in the Garafauna village on Cayos and don't have too much GeeFeeTi. Have a great trip. Skip the Malaria treatment, but bring some pepto or similar. Also some over the counter pain releiver and antacids or other stuff to settle a queesy stomach. Drink more water than you think you need, as you will get dehydrated if you only drink coffee, beer and rum. Post some pictures. Nip Flips to all at PBR.

Hi Heather!

I recently purchased a full set of gear from Atlantic Edge and I feel they gave a good deal. I also got a wetsuit with them. Definitely go in and try them on. I would recommend a full 2/3. You could do a shorty with the temps, but if you are going to be there that long, you might run into some little stinging critters, especially if you are doing any night diving in the 10 days after a full moon. It sounds like they have some nice night diving right on the home reef. Might be an idea to get your own mouthpiece, but only if you are concerned about how often they might disinfect their gear... o_0

They recommend a product called cactus juice for sand fleas, which you can find on Amazon through a shop called AG Organics. I ordered some but I have not received it yet. Should be soon hopefully.... I would bring some deet for the evenings and if you think you might do some hiking on the island; they have pink boas there which are endemic to the area. Also, as far as Garifuna cuisine, I have read about a soup dish that sounds supper yums. It's called Tapado and it is a coconut fish soup with seafood and plantains in it. Oh yeah, I am also bringing a bunch of cliff bars with me (I went to costco). They serve 3 meals, but you might want snacks for the dive boat. I am also bringing salted assorted nuts. Make sure to salt your food too. Drinking tons of water is useless if you don't have enough salt to keep it in your body.

As far as the anti-malarials, I personally am not taking them. The risk there is pretty low, and you are not staying inland in a swampy area. And yes, they can result in a variety of complications. Deet it up! I will have a mosquito net with me, but more for the research station lodgings. I might pick up a cheap set of mini speakers too...

Carey

PS, if you go to Atlantic edge and speak to Patrick or Chris, let them know I sent you. I had a great experience with them. In fact they even followed up with me after I tested out my gear in Annapolis. They also often have demo days for different gear. Speaking of which, you should totally get a dry snorkel. They are great.

Hi heather, There were about 6 to 8 guests when we were there. There were a few visitors for dinner or drinks, (passing yachters). I wouldnt worry about rough seas, as most dive sites are close or in protected bays. Bring some music to share and an easy going attitude and you will have a great trip. Online studies are a great way to spend your free time, especially if the weather is bad. I dont know about their current internet capabilities. You may want to print out some study guides at home if you have limited access. We didn't have choice of room, however we had the end room in the far building, and were very happy with the room. Be sure to spend time in the Garafauna village on Cayos and don't have too much GeeFeeTi. Have a great trip. Skip the Malaria treatment, but bring some pepto or similar. Also some over the counter pain releiver and antacids or other stuff to settle a queesy stomach. Drink more water than you think you need, as you will get dehydrated if you only drink coffee, beer and rum. Post some pictures. Nip Flips to all at PBR.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post!! Thank you so much for sharing. I will absolutely take your advice and print articles and notes before I come...it's funny you mentioned that b/c it was on my mind. I will definitely be sure to visit the Garafuna Village while I'm there, and it sounds like GeeFeeTi might be a strong drink? If so, I'll take it! :) Moderation.... :wink:

I will be sure to post lots of pics!! Apparently, I'm the only one registered for 2.5 of the 3 weeks I'll be there. Hahaha...go figure. Plenty of time to study, right? :)

Thanks again!!!!

Hi Heather!

I recently purchased a full set of gear from Atlantic Edge and I feel they gave a good deal. I also got a wetsuit with them. Definitely go in and try them on. I would recommend a full 2/3. You could do a shorty with the temps, but if you are going to be there that long, you might run into some little stinging critters, especially if you are doing any night diving in the 10 days after a full moon. It sounds like they have some nice night diving right on the home reef. Might be an idea to get your own mouthpiece, but only if you are concerned about how often they might disinfect their gear... o_0

They recommend a product called cactus juice for sand fleas, which you can find on Amazon through a shop called AG Organics. I ordered some but I have not received it yet. Should be soon hopefully.... I would bring some deet for the evenings and if you think you might do some hiking on the island; they have pink boas there which are endemic to the area. Also, as far as Garifuna cuisine, I have read about a soup dish that sounds supper yums. It's called Tapado and it is a coconut fish soup with seafood and plantains in it. Oh yeah, I am also bringing a bunch of cliff bars with me (I went to costco). They serve 3 meals, but you might want snacks for the dive boat. I am also bringing salted assorted nuts. Make sure to salt your food too. Drinking tons of water is useless if you don't have enough salt to keep it in your body.

As far as the anti-malarials, I personally am not taking them. The risk there is pretty low, and you are not staying inland in a swampy area. And yes, they can result in a variety of complications. Deet it up! I will have a mosquito net with me, but more for the research station lodgings. I might pick up a cheap set of mini speakers too...

Carey

PS, if you go to Atlantic edge and speak to Patrick or Chris, let them know I sent you. I had a great experience with them. In fact they even followed up with me after I tested out my gear in Annapolis. They also often have demo days for different gear. Speaking of which, you should totally get a dry snorkel. They are great.

Hi Carey,

I'm going to PM you my personal email....I can't write in this teeny tiny boxes anymore :)

-Heather

Just returned from Cayos Cochinos yesterday evening - a beautiful day out. We took 11 divers over from Utila for the day. An early departure had a small chop on the sea but we picked our day well and it was calming down to flatness by the time wqe arrived at Roatan Banks (misnamed being only 5 or 6 miles from Cayos Cochinos but many more from Roatan). Second dive at a site called Lions Head and then over to wonderful Chachauate for lunch, beach, cold beers, and relaxing (you need to bring you cold beers with you because the island can not supply them!). Heather, you're gonna love it there!

Get both a good insect repellant (Cutter's, OFF - backwoods, or similar) for the no-see-um's and the chloroquine pills for malaria. I used to live in the area and have come down with full blown malaria twice (it is much worse than taking a pill once a week for a couple of months). I would also recommend getting vaccinated against: Hepatitis A & B as well as Typhoid. Either are relatively rare, but have a tendency to ruin your life if you come down with them. PBR is the place to stay (figuratively and literally). They do diving right. Check with them beforehand as to rental gear. I recommend having your own. As for a wetsuit, I just returned yesterday from a trip to the Bay Islands and did upwards of four dives daily with no more than a swimsuit and a t-shirt (although I would recommend a lycra skin as our group had various encounters with jelly-fish ( take benadryl pills for the swelling and hydrocortozine cream for the eruptions).

I realize I sound more like a pharmacist than a diver, but there is nothing worse than not being prepared and getting sick, stung, burned, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom