CBS Report on Similan Islands Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw the same report Sunrise quotes. I am a news junky and watch as much network news as I can... but I don't accept any of it as gospel. I've seen what the news does with stories I was personally involved in. The one exception was Tom Brokaw whose news team did a special segment on my work as a conservationist here. It came out very well.

This is yet another example of the other kind of reporting. Sad since it will affect those considering a trip to Thailand, a country which seems to be working hard to get back to "normal" (if that is possible after such death and destruction). I hope to return there this year (although being a starving marine biologist, my spending won't be much of a "bump" to the economy).

With best wishes to those members in Thailand and other areas affected by the tsunami.

Dr. Bill

...when we visited the Islands and when CBS came to do the interviews. I remember asking one of the CBS crew if "these people [the Ocean Rover] are going to have a business when CBS was done with them?" She smiled and said "sure." I was very doubtful that within a few minutes one could present a nuanced and accurate version of the effects of the Tsunami. I did not see the CBS report, but the Ocean Rover people felt the story was inaccurate and damaging.

What I saw was that SOME reefs that were in good shape before the Tsunami were heavily damaged and that OTHER reefs showed little or no damage. Incidentally, we were on the boat the day the Tsunami hit - close to the Thai/Myanmar border. We were warned that a massive wave was heading in our direction, and that diving would be suspended as a precaution. A couple of Swiss visitors on our boat donned their wetsuits and grabbed masks, snorkels and mineral water bottles and waited on the sun deck. Impressed with their survival instincts, I did the same. After an hour, the wetsuit felt hot and uncomfortable so I took it off and went to my cabin for a nap. No wave came. We had no conception of the magnitude of the disaster except through BBC World Service radio reports for over a week. Only on our return to Thai water were we able to see some floating debris and dive some of the Tsunami-damaged reefs, pristine when dived on the outbound trip. As I said then, in a statement which was quoted on the Ocean Rover's website, I was confident that they would continue to be able to offer their clients great diving in these parts of Thailand and Myanmar. They run a truly superb liveaboard.

Well its about time some of those so called professional reporters put on a set of gear & went for a look themselves instead of reporting hearsay & rumors. We dive in the similan islands everyday at this time of year and take divers from all around the world who have dived all around the world to this unique place and they all say that it is the best diving they have ever done. As to damage on the reefs well this was minimal due to the fact that the similan islands are situated in deep water as are a lot of the sites. The only ones that sustained serious damage were shallower sites, snapper ally in particular was badly hit and is now off limits by the national park authority as is Christmas point both on island No 9. As for breakfast bend initial reports said that it had been totally destroyed & this is a total myth. It is still one of the best sites out there. As for marine life it is still as beautiful & diverse as it ever was..............Come take a look for yourselves......you wont be disappointed

We dive in the similan islands everyday at this time of year and take divers from all around the world who have dived all around the world to this unique place and they all say that it is the best diving they have ever done... As for marine life it is still as beautiful & diverse as it ever was..............Come take a look for yourselves......you wont be disappointed

Welcome to the board Patrick :)

And well said.

Sadly if you but any three letters together and call it a news network - You can't believe a word they say. I have personally seen situations where all the networks tell a different story about an event and all were wrong!!!

Now you would think that these liberals would care about the Thai people near Phuket who heavily rely on eco-tourism. But Noooo....., they don't give a damn if the Thai business is hurt, all they want is a "big" story that contains such words as "completely destroyed" etc.

nuswhl:
Now you would think that these liberals would care about the Thai people near Phuket who heavily rely on eco-tourism. But Noooo....., they don't give a damn if the Thai business is hurt, all they want is a "big" story that contains such words as "completely destroyed" etc.

I just typed a major rebuttal to this statement then realized I was taking the bait. Nice troll!!!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom