CCC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with the (big) 3.0! x

Abby,

I'll hang around for another 12 or so years to hear you say that again shall I?

Jon T

Thats fine by me Jon!

The thing is, my boyfriend is older than you so I have to keep reminding him he doesnt need to purchase his coffin just yet - instead he can by me a new dive computer! hehe x

Did you ever check out Earthwatch? I think their prices are more reasonable. Yes, like CCC you pay for the privilege of working for a researcher, but so far I've had good value for my money spent. Last year I spent two weeks on the Baja peninsula in Mexico assisting a Sear Turtle project, had a blast ~ even swam with a few Whale Sharks! This year it will be under the waves with Damselfish.

Just a thought.

I have rounded the bend, and am knocking on the door of the big 5-0!!

Haven't heard of any of those organizations. Have only heard of Odyssey Expeditions.....but it is more for teens.

ages

You have no idea how sad I am to hear you have a boyfriend.I
will just have to admire your poetic eloquence from afar.I am over 30 and aside from some aches and pains,I feel too young to settle down and next year will take off for a number of years to work in the industry until someone as verbally attractive as you can grab ahold of my flipper and won't let it go!(A girl that is.) Please pass on my envy to the lucky man.I too am studying doing a B.A. in psychology from Massey University in N.Z. As to your question,life is a risk.As long as you have some sort of redundancy and have researched as much as possible then Live your life.All we'll have at the end are our memories and regrets.Here's hoping you'll be looking for a new fella from the outer reaches.
Your poetic admirer. Sir gasman.

Any of you who have had a look at my site will see that I did the CCC think back in 1992. I also know a couple of people doing it now in the Phillipines. For what its worth, here's my two cents (largly american audience or I would have said pence!)...

I joined CCC as a Science Officer (that's for free!!!). I'm glad I didn't pay. I'll list the bad points first:
1/ Its expensive for what you get in terms of accomodation and living.
2/ If you volunteer (pay), you will have to work. Cook, clean, fill tanks, etc.
3/ The science (when I was there) is not taken very seriously.
On the good side:
1/ You will do a lot of diving.
2/ You will have an excellent time.
3/ You will get very drunk.
4/ You will score (if you try!)
5/ You can justify it to yours parents/CV/peers as doing your bit for the environment.

I would say as something to do during or just after university it a blast. I wouldn't use up my annual leave for it though!

Hope this helps.

Done it, didn't like it, don't do it' all I can say.

Raffles

I had a friend who lived in Santa Cruz - She packed up her stuff in '88, went to the Med and stayed for a while - Purpose? Travel and dive anything worthwhile along the shores of Spain, Italy and Greece...

I know one thing - when she did not like the sights anymore - she would pack it up and move on.

I know for a fact that she had one good time - and would do that again anyday. (Btw - I think she all in all spent about £1000 for about 4 months - she took the occasional job on the beach, but that's what travel is all about...

I personally hope to do "time" in honduras if I can wing it - I'm past that 3-0 but that only means the party is starting...

Have fun and take good care.
Terkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom