CCV during January---anyone going there.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my booking all payed off for January, and have recieved my luggage tags already. I'm officially ready to get out of town. I'm having sinus surgery on Friday, to make sure that I'm all healed up by January. Now to figure out what camera to buy before heading that way, the sealife 1400 with the video light sure is looking good.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my SeaLife with the Video Light! Would recommend it highly!

Decided i'm getting the Canon S95 with ikelite housing, wife has been informed to get this for me for Christmas. If its not under the tree, i'll order the day after :) Looking forward to burning up a couple SD cards while in Roatan.

I'm jealous as hell - wish I had a trip to CCV sooner than next June lined up! I think you'll love it. As far as taking Rescue while you're there...hmm. Rescue is probably the most useful course you'll ever take and normally I'd absolutely recommend doing it at any time. It is, however, also going to be the most strenuous course you ever take. Personally, if I had an option of taking it at any other time than on vacation, I'd go with that. I'm of the opinion that you should do all course stuff at home so you can use your vacation time in exotic locations to just dive your butt off and have fun....but that's just me.

All of that said, a dear friend of mine did almost all of her coursework while at CCV through Rescue - all while vacationing alone. Working with the Dive op there. she had the opportunity to really get to know the dive staff much better than the rest of us did who were just vacationing with a group - she loved it. And I know for sure that she got a good quality dive education - it's not just a PADI "pass-through" type of shop....

Reactions: Doc
We were at CCV in June as a group of 12. A solo diver was added to our boat and he thereafter ate many meals with us and was part of our group picture. He had been before and sometimes joined other tables, but was part of our group for all intents and purposes. We asked him everyday if he wanted to join us for night or dawn dives. That really is the norm at CCV.
I would recommend against doing rescue while you're there for the same reasons mentioned. The rescue class really does change the way you think about diving and does have some angst to it (did I let a drop of water into the airway so I have to start all over again). There is so much to see on every dive if you go slow and relax (see any of Doc A's posts) that adding the Rescue class changes your zen for the week. Do take the class, but not on vacation is my two cents.

Rob

Peewee, and sadies, Thanks for the replies. I decided awhile back that I was going to go ahead and do my rescue course with my LDS this summer, if everything goes as planned. I hope that I can fall into a group like you mentioned Rob, and pray that I dont get put on a boat with a bunch of coral crashing fish handlers. Can you switch boats if things arent jiving well with the line up? Never thought of doing a dawn dive, before the boats go out, is there even time for surface intervals:)

I decided awhile back that I was going to go ahead and do my rescue course with my LDS this summer..

As said above, a great course, and CCV's Dockside PADI is a well run operation, but why burn valuable critter spotting time doing that?

.... and pray that I dont get put on a boat with a bunch of coral crashing fish handlers. Can you switch boats if things arent jiving well with the line up?

Quite unlikely to encounter this at CCV, but individuals occasionally show up. Direct all concerns through your DM and also Doc Radawski. They will proactively deal with the issues. Yes, you can change boats, go to Doc. Radawski.

Never thought of doing a dawn dive, before the boats go out, is there even time for surface intervals:)

Neither have I. It seems like a good idea when I go to bed, but after 420+ "wake-ups" at CCV, I have yet to execute the plan, prefering to sleep until 0645, then stumble into the dining area for coffee :coffee: Let me know how it goes for you, take pictures. That would be nice. See you at breakfast, Skippy.

Surface interval is called "breakfast". (also "lunch" and "dinner") Prepare to be wet for a week... it's CoCoView.

My wife is an absolute late sleeper that despises early mornings. Another guest we met last January talked us into a 5:30 am dive. We went past the Prince Albert on the way out and along Newmans Wall in the dark. By the time we headed back and hit the Prince Albert the sun was coming up to finish the dive. It was phenomenal. My wife now insists we work two or three early morning dives into our upcoming trip this January.

My wife is an absolute late sleeper that despises early mornings. Another guest we met last January talked us into a 5:30 am dive. We went past the Prince Albert on the way out and along Newmans Wall in the dark. By the time we headed back and hit the Prince Albert the sun was coming up to finish the dive. It was phenomenal. My wife now insists we work two or three early morning dives into our upcoming trip this January.

That does sound good, and I will have to plan a dawn dive now. What part of January are you going to be there for? I see that your a back country snowmobiler also, mountain snowmobiling is what consumes the other thoughts in my head.

I did not have this type of experience at CCV... As a matter of fact I filed a report with Roatan Charters and the management at the resort said that my entire group made up our complaints. Which included the instructors there committing standards violations with a new scuba diver. Myself and another instructor filed an report with PADI regarding this.

This is the report filed with Roatan Charters:

Trip Incident Report
Mailing address: Roatan Charter Inc. PO Box 877, San Antonio, FL 33576-0877
Fax to: (352) 588-4158, email to:terry@roatan.com
Attention: Terry Evans Original Roatan Charter Agent: Res#
Hotel or Operator : Coco View
ADDRESS: Roatan, Honduras, CA
CLIENTS NAME(S):
TRIP TAKEN: November 26th thru December 3rd DEPARTURE DATE:­ November 26th
Did you purchase travel insurance? No XX Yes 
Did you file a claim or express your dissatisfction on site directly with the responsible party? No:  Yes: XX
Who did you talk to, and what was the reply? Actually wrote it on the critique offered as part of the exit from our trip.

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED: Please list those that can be traced to responsible parties. Delays due to weather, strikes, traffic, cannot be dealt with by our office.

1. Resort Mgmt basically ignorred us the entire time we were there until it was time for us to leave. I was there in Oct2001 and the owners/managers stopped by our table every day during one of the meals. They greeted us and knew our names. We were greeted by a recetionist and did not even know who the manager was until the next morning at the orientation. The manager on Thursday evening during ‘game’ night offered certificates to a few divers that had milestone logged dives. I had 2 of my customers that both hit milestones and if the manager had even spent any time with us at all would have known this. My partner stopped the manager and asked about this and was told to see the office and they would print a certificate for my customers. The mgmt spent the entire week with their friends at every meal. And I am serious with this, as we were loading on the ferry – the husband and wife managers appeared on the dock to say good bye.
2. The dive operation violated PADI standards on several occasions. I am a PADI Course Director and therefore very aware of training standards and to be quite honest, when a standard is broken, it exposes me to a possible liablity issue as well. A woman named Glenda was taking her scuba diver course with instructors Alejandra and on dive number 2, I witnessed the instructor take the student to 56 feet and then leave her to look for a sea horse. The depth limit for a scuba diver is 40 feet. The depth limit for any beginner diver on dive number 2 is 40 feet. The next day, myself and another PADI IDCStaff instructor witnessed the manager of the dive shop take the same woman on a dive and although there was no training involved, the student was at 75+feet and the manager, although she was watching the student was a least 20 feet above the student. This is a PADI Standards violation and the instructor in both situations was not in a position to protect and assist the student should she have had any problems at all. I am writing a formal letter to PADI regarding this issue.
3. Every day on the dive boats, the IDCStaff Instructor and I both experienced a basic issue with being ignorred by the dive crew. Every time the boat pulled from the dock, we had to assemble our equipment. Everyone else on the boat, had their equipment ready to dive. And between dives the crew exchanged their tanks for fresh ones. KS and I had to do our own tank swaps and we had to assemble our equipment when we got on the boat every time.
PLEASE LIST WHO YOU FEEL IS RESPONSIBLE WITH REASONS
In listing, please note any comments made to you by persons connected with the trip, hotel, guide, etc., with their names.
COMPENSATION - Should you feel that any item above would justify a refund of a portion of the trip, please note here as to what you feel would be just compensations. Attach receipts for any incurred expenses that you are claiming.
Travel Agent mentioned that Roatan Charters wanted to offer a free return visit. I am very dissatisified with the over all service my customers and I received on this trip. Please tell me how you intend to correct this and give me a reason to reconsider coming back.

WHAT YOUR TRAVEL AGENT CAN DO
Our office will track down each item that you list to determine where fault, if any lies and will give a copy of this sheet to parties involved. Please understand that when one thing goes wrong on a trip, it tends to magnify others, many of which are not easy to trace, eg: Weather, Lost Luggage,Traffic Delays, Strikes, etc. Bear in mind, also that, our job is to properly place various reservations which you have chosen to become your trip. Once our office makes the proper reservations the delivery of all services rests with the party to whom we have conveyed your request. We do not own, nor control, hotels, airlines, tour companies, reception agents, bus companies, etc., who operate various trips. With the number of persons traveling, certain things can happen on the way to the forum! Please let us know both the good and the bad.

TRAVEL AGENT: ___________________________ PERSON SUBMITTING:

CLIENT SIGNATURE:________________________ Date: December 12, 2011
Address / Phone / Fax we should reply to if different than the original resrvation:

And the response from the resort was: "These customers should take their business elsewhere." Not a problem, we will. I have never been treated like this ever and I have over 15 years as a dive pro... My clients agreed that we will never return there... This is just out experience and I felt a need to share...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom