CCV vs AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great to hear about the CCR Vegetarian options...

While typically I am not a vegetarian, for the last two months I have been on a no-fat/no oil/no-meat/no dairy diet (vegetarian). In about two months I have lost 40 lbs. and have another 30 to go before I hit my overall goal and then start a maintenance program.

Congrats! If it helps your decision process....both times I've been to CCV I have lost weight, I think mainly because of all the diving (and no beer) :)

A few more CCV observations from last week:

• My daughter did her cert dives at CCV last year....and this year went to CCV with 12 total dives (to which she added 18 more). Our DM did a good job monitoring the new divers and their buddies and making sure everyone stayed safe and that the dive worked for everyone
  • CCV does 2 boat trips/day. Each of the trips includes a moored dive (with DM) and a drop-off dive on one of the walls adjacent to CV (without DM). The navigation is VERY simple even for newer divers (and CCV staff takes you on an orientation dive showing you the walls and the easy system for getting back to CCV on the drop-off dives), but at least be aware that not every dive is DM-led.

Chris

Congrats! If it helps your decision process....both times I've been to CCV I have lost weight, I think mainly because of all the diving (and no beer) :)

A few more CCV observations from last week:

• My daughter did her cert dives at CCV last year....and this year went to CCV with 12 total dives (to which she added 18 more). Our DM did a good job monitoring the new divers and their buddies and making sure everyone stayed safe and that the dive worked for everyone
  • CCV does 2 boat trips/day. Each of the trips includes a moored dive (with DM) and a drop-off dive on one of the walls adjacent to CV (without DM). The navigation is VERY simple even for newer divers (and CCV staff takes you on an orientation dive showing you the walls and the easy system for getting back to CCV on the drop-off dives), but at least be aware that not every dive is DM-led.

Chris

This does help a lot since most of our divers will be newly certified or <25 dives. Right now the only eason we might consider AKR is if we have a bunch of non-divers with us.

I will say that one reason that CCV works for divers of all abilities is that the walls start shallow 25-30 feet. As a result, I was easily able to dive every site with my daughter at shallower depths while others went much deeper along the wall. There are some dives with short overheads/swimthoughs, but easy enough to stay on top of the wall or crack with newer divers. Deepest we went was 62 feet, but most dives we spent in the 30-40 range....all by choice.

---------- Post added March 19th, 2013 at 04:54 PM ----------

Main issue then will be with your snorkeling GF......as you've read elsewhere, CCV is pretty isolated.....so no problem if a hammock and a book or lying in the sun is enough to keep her happy. There were some families at CCV last week with kids that either were diving just a few times or not at all (kids in the 10-12 range) = they did lots or snorkeling, used the CCV kayaks, went to AKR for dolphin encounter, zip line canopy tour, etc. The people in the room next to us (one of these families with pre-teens) said they were "pleasantly surprised" how much there was to do even when not diving and seemed to have a great time. We did have snorkelers join us on the boat at least once during the week, although this may not be possible at every site. During last year's trip my daughter was having ear problems...a few times she came out on the boat and just sun bathed/swam while I dove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom