CDW insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You made me look again... but it's in thereView attachment 217617

Liability would cover you hitting someone else and their bills. Collision covers YOUR responsibility for the rental car if you damage it. So you hit someone and go to the police station. The insurance guy and the rental people show up and take care of the other guy. Then the rental guy looks at you and asks "How you paying for my car?"

Problem is I always get confused if my CC covers my CDW insurance in Mexico or not?

I think it does. The problem is you SIT in tourist jail at the Police Department until it is PAID. No "oh, my card will cover it." Cash on the barrel head so to speak. So do you want to sit in the PD for however long it takes to get it paid? How long is that? A day, 2 days? More? And who is negotiating what that rental car damage is worth? It is you VS the rental guy. In Mexico. Guess who takes the beating on that one?

Thinking of INTERNATIONAL car rental only, your credit card may cover CDW, but all of my credit cards only cover physical damage to vehicle and not loss of use. And, although it is a primary insurance, you would have to go through a benefits administrator, paperwork, hassle, etc.. for card company to pay. Purchasing CDW with car rental company puts it all on them and, for me, eliminates me worrying about it.

Worth it to me to let someone else take care of it, so there's no money out of my pocket.

At that rate do you really think that liability insurance is included.

Danger Will Robinson. Please do more research and give up on getting a cheap rate.

I think it does. The problem is you SIT in tourist jail at the Police Department until it is PAID. No "oh, my card will cover it." Cash on the barrel head so to speak. So do you want to sit in the PD for however long it takes to get it paid? How long is that? A day, 2 days? More? And who is negotiating what that rental car damage is worth? It is you VS the rental guy. In Mexico. Guess who takes the beating on that one?

That's an ugly scenario. Is that only if someone is injured or is that any accident at all? Let's say you get in a fender bender, are you saying they throw you in jail?

That's an ugly scenario. Is that only if someone is injured or is that any accident at all? Let's say you get in a fender bender, are you saying they throw you in jail?

No, provided you have enough available credit on your card. Your card will be charged immediately, and when the charges go through, you will be free to go.

Involved in an accident that's serious enough that the car is disabled?? Your card will be charged for the amount of the vehicle. Then, and only then, will help be sent.

Not enough available credit to pay for the car?? Free lodging until it's paid.

Another thing to think about is that these airport car rentals are probably not the American or International car rental agencies you are dealing with but instead they are normally local franchises, regardless of the familiar US mega rental agency names. Often that '800' number to customer service that you would use in the US or Canada in pretty much meaningless in Mexico.

If there is damage, settle on the scene or go to the PD to sort it out.

No, provided you have enough available credit on your card. Your card will be charged immediately, and when the charges go through, you will be free to go.

Involved in an accident that's serious enough that the car is disabled?? Your card will be charged for the amount of the vehicle. Then, and only then, will help be sent.

Not enough available credit to pay for the car?? Free lodging until it's paid.

So if you wreck the car and tell them put it on the credit card? Do you think the amount they demand might exceed the value of the car? And what are you going to do when it is you vs them? I sorta would rather have an insurance guy arguing with them.

Another thing to think about is that these airport car rentals are probably not the American or International car rental agencies you are dealing with but instead they are normally local franchises, regardless of the familiar US mega rental agency names. Often that '800' number to customer service that you would use in the US or Canada in pretty much meaningless in Mexico.

That is the truth. Which one of the "big" names at the airport was always having those credit card over billing things?

So if you wreck the car and tell them put it on the credit card? Do you think the amount they demand might exceed the value of the car? And what are you going to do when it is you vs them? I sorta would rather have an insurance guy arguing with them.

You don't tell them to put it on the credit card, that's the first thing they do. No prompting required.

Indeed, I do think the amount might exceed the value. I foolishly always leave my Kelly Blue Book manual in my bookcase.

When it's you vs. them, you will lose. Every time.

No sorta here -- first trip down in 2007, I briefly considered CC insurance, and never looked back.

Another thing that is frequently overlooked:

All rentals come with basic liability insurance. I've met very, very few people who've ever bothered to learn how much coverage they have. It's not enough imho. Not even close.

I did a quick check with USAA (my insurance company) and they absolutely say you need additional insurance. They recommend Bravo Home Page apparently you get a better rate if you tell Bravo you have USAA insurance

You made me look again... but it's in thereView attachment 217617

Please tell us how this goes! I've been renting cars in Mexico for over 15 years and never saw anything like that. I hope I've been wrong all this time and will save hundreds and hundreds of dollars in January and February of next year.

I believe in the "No Free Lunch" theory. Four days for $12 including insurance? I can drive a car for $90 a month plus the gas and they pay all other expenses and maintainance? Why would anybody own a car? And if the car costs the rental company $12000 they can have it paid for in only 11 years, although their tires, oil changes, liability insurance, and interest might lengthen that out a little. If it is too good to be true then it isn't true! That said please, please tell us how it goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom