CDW insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a quick check with USAA (my insurance company) and they absolutely say you need additional insurance. They recommend Bravo Home Page apparently you get a better rate if you tell Bravo you have USAA insurance
Well I guess that might be a good option too. If I was going to buy actual MX car insurance separately, I would check with someone like Irma Canterell for pricing as well. She is my agent for my car insurance as well as an owner of Fiesta Car Rental. My biggest concern would be is there 'a guy' on the island for that insurance. You want to know when you drive that car off a cliff or what not that SOMEONE will be at the police station quickly to help. You don't want to crack up a car at 10 pm and find the guy can't make the ferry from Playa in time and you have to sit overnight. With Irma I got a number and SOMEONE is coming to help.

Please tell us how this goes! I've been renting cars in Mexico for over 15 years and never saw anything like that. I hope I've been wrong all this time and will save hundreds and hundreds of dollars in January and February of next year.

I believe in the "No Free Lunch" theory. Four days for $12 including insurance? I can drive a car for $90 a month plus the gas and they pay all other expenses and maintainance? Why would anybody own a car? And if the car costs the rental company $12000 they can have it paid for in only 11 years, although their tires, oil changes, liability insurance, and interest might lengthen that out a little. If it is too good to be true then it isn't true! That said please, please tell us how it goes!

Hey, it's what Expedia.com puked out for me. I was in the process of going to the resort we are staying at and looking on their website to see about paying for the shuttle from the airport, after a bunch of blah, blah, I couldn't find an easy way to pay them for their shuttle service, so I just went to Expedia for the hell of it to see what a rental car would be. When it came up $3.00 a day, well.... you know... didn't make much sense to pay the shuttle service $75 each way or $150.00 if I can rent a car for the whole time I'm there for $3.00 a day LOL. This is Cabo though, is that really still qualify as Mexico? I was there a few years ago, rented a car and paid more standard fees for it, so I'm not sure why all the rental agencies in Cabo this year are renting their cars for less than $10 a day. I just did the Expedia search again, it's still the same....
cars.jpg

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

No, provided you have enough available credit on your card. Your card will be charged immediately, and when the charges go through, you will be free to go.

Involved in an accident that's serious enough that the car is disabled?? Your card will be charged for the amount of the vehicle. Then, and only then, will help be sent.

Not enough available credit to pay for the car?? Free lodging until it's paid.

Hmmm. I mean I can easily put the retail price of some dinky economy rental car on my credit card if it came to that...

I don't know the whole thing is confusing. I'm likely only going to be driving from the airport to the resort and the car will sit in their lot until we leave to go back to the airport to leave, since we can walk right down the beach from the resort to get to anything else we want to do there is no reason to drive anywhere. Makes it $12.00 for the rental car and.75 cents in gas for my transportation back and forth from the airport versus $150 bucks for a shared van ride. Grr... the cheapness in me is clouding my judgement. Plus I get bragging rights to saying I rented a car in Mexico for $3.00 a day. LOL

I guess if I get the CDW it's $22 a day, makes it $100 total out of pocket, still a good deal... but $3.00.... dang! I could pay for my first days rental by gathering up the change in my cars ashtray before I leave!

My American Express card has a program I'm registered in through a third party insurer. Any time I rent a car using my Amex card, I get primary insurance coverage for $25 for rentals up to 45 days. That's not $25 per day, it's $25 for the whole rental period. Can't beat that.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Yeah CV, everything in Cabo is relatively inexpensive for what you get, except the transportation from the airport, it's notoriously expensive. Somewhere in the middle cost wise is a shared van, but holy cow does it take forever to get to your hotel, they stop everywhere along the way, the airports a long ways out in Cabo, nothing like the nice close one at Cozumel. $150 I was looking at is relatively a good deal for Cabo, that's about $35.00 per person each way. See why $3.00 a day is a major victory!?!?!?!?!? :)

My American Express card has a program I'm registered in through a third party insurer. Any time I rent a car using my Amex card, I get primary insurance coverage for $25 for rentals up to 45 days. That's not $25 per day, it's $25 for the whole rental period. Can't beat that.

So do you have a number to call to have a person show up to pay the bill? Or if the cops will take you, can you withdraw thousands of dollars on one day at one ATM?

So do you have a number to call to have a person show up to pay the bill? Or if the cops will take you, can you withdraw thousands of dollars on one day at one ATM?

I carry a copy of the proof of insurance. Fortunately I've never had to use it. If I had to pay for the car on the spot, I'm sure I would get reimbursed. But it's a good question whether they would wire the money without proof of loss or seeing the damage. More likely they would provide a guarantee. Only the Mexican police demand cash.

I carry a copy of the proof of insurance. Fortunately I've never had to use it. If I had to pay for the car on the spot, I'm sure I would get reimbursed. But it's a good question whether they would wire the money without proof of loss or seeing the damage. More likely they would provide a guarantee. Only the Mexican police demand cash.

I'm sure you would be reimbursed.

I can't imagine that money would be wired, except by a loved one.

The rental company is going to charge your card, or if you'd prefer, accept cash.

When the charges go through, you will be free to go, and initiate a brief call with your credit card issuer (note sarcasm), to begin the reimbursement process.

Only the Mexican police demand cash.

If it is MX insurance, you should have a guy you can call. It isn't just the cops that want cash.

I'm sure you would be reimbursed.

I can't imagine that money would be wired, except by a loved one.

Yea, I have heard stories of people sitting in tourist jail waiting for someone to wire money.

The rental company is going to charge your card, or if you'd prefer, accept cash.

When the charges go through, you will be free to go, and initiate a brief call with your credit card issuer (note sarcasm), to begin the reimbursement process.

Are you sure that the rental car company will accept it being billed on a credit card? When you could leave and dispute it? I would love to hear from someone who wrecked a car and made out fine with CC CDW.

Back
Top Bottom