Cell phone use in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought this might help folks going to Cozumel that either choose to or have to have a cell phone.

There are a couple of resources on the web about this (http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com...GREAT site, by the way) but after reading them I was still confused about how to go about getting one....affordably (and I am in the mobile communications business). It just seemed like hoops to jump through and no surety that it would work anyway.

I finally used a company I previously recommended to my customers that travel internationally (China, Japan and Europe). They send you the phone a day or two before your departure and give you everything you need to ship it back upon your return. I almost never buy insurance for things like this but for some reason I did this time (it was about $10).

Digression
After we dove the cenotes we didn't make it back to Coz that night....jjust too much fun. When we did a late afternnon dive the next day I had the phone with me on a fast boat, trying to talk to the office (totally useless because of noise) and when I was finished I put it in the zipped pocket of my mesh dive bag. After the dive I was dunking my bag in the fresh water gear cleaning tub and after doing a great job of cleaning the gear it hit me.........crap. An hour of hair dryer treatment did not help it.
End digression

The phone never worked again (which was a mixed blessing) and I sent it back to the company hoping for the best. I received a final bill for the airtime and no mention of the drowned phone.

The phone for Cozumel was $35 + $10 insurance however the airtime is $.99 per minute flat rate, incoming or outgoing, no daily fees. And it worked every where I went on Cozumel, except my hotel room.

http://www.worldcell.com

or

http://www.worldcell.com/web/page/10.../travelers.asp

I do not work for or get paid by these folks.

Ron Brandt:
You can get a cheap audiovox and the Amigo plan....The plan uses time cards and I believe cheaper than .99 a minue as friends of mine in the dive business on Coz use it all the time.

Is that something you buy on the island?

Chris

Nevis Diver:
I thought this might help folks going to Cozumel that either choose to or have to have a cell phone.

There are a couple of resources on the web about this (http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com...GREAT site, by the way) but after reading them I was still confused about how to go about getting one....affordably (and I am in the mobile communications business). It just seemed like hoops to jump through and no surety that it would work anyway.

I finally used a company I previously recommended to my customers that travel internationally (China, Japan and Europe). They send you the phone a day or two before your departure and give you everything you need to ship it back upon your return. I almost never buy insurance for things like this but for some reason I did this time (it was about $10).

Digression
After we dove the cenotes we didn't make it back to Coz that night....jjust too much fun. When we did a late afternnon dive the next day I had the phone with me on a fast boat, trying to talk to the office (totally useless because of noise) and when I was finished I put it in the zipped pocket of my mesh dive bag. After the dive I was dunking my bag in the fresh water gear cleaning tub and after doing a great job of cleaning the gear it hit me.........crap. An hour of hair dryer treatment did not help it.
End digression

The phone never worked again (which was a mixed blessing) and I sent it back to the company hoping for the best. I received a final bill for the airtime and no mention of the drowned phone.

The phone for Cozumel was $35 + $10 insurance however the airtime is $.99 per minute flat rate, incoming or outgoing, no daily fees. And it worked every where I went on Cozumel, except my hotel room.

http://www.worldcell.com/web/page/10.../travelers.asp

I do not work for or get paid by these folks.

I have a new cingular phone. that is triple or quad band. I was just there this past week and due to a sudden death in family had to cut the trip short. The phone worked great and it cost 59 cents a minute for roaming charges since Telcel owns the tower. My wife and I probably made a couple of dozen phone calls trying to schedule a flight out on Saturday. If my wife calls from the US it costs 9 cents a minute but uses my call time minutes. Since we make about five trips a year to Cozumel I got the $4.95 a month international calling option.

Two friends of ours that were down last year had the old nationwide calling option with Cingular and received a number of calls and it didn't cost them anything.

My old Alltel phone was completely useless. It would show four bars but I could never get out.

For calling around locally I just purchased a phone and put about $300 or $400 pesos on the phone and it takes care of local calling without the extra fees.

Take a phone on a vacation? Not me. My world worked just fine before I ever had a cell phone. I will not be controlled by electronic devices.

I had bars on my Sprint phone and could connect in roaming mode, but every time I tried to make a call, I got a blast of white noise followed by an unintelligible (by me, anyway) very distorted recording in rapid Spanish which I interpreted to mean that it wasn't going to work.

leiserom:
Take a phone on a vacation? Not me. My world worked just fine before I ever had a cell phone. I will not be controlled by electronic devices.

Amen to that.

My dive trips to Cozumel are more "working diversions" like a golf trip.

My real vacations are with my wife someplace we can both enjoy and then I don't even know what a cell phone or email is.

Jim Baldwin:
For calling around locally I just purchased a phone and put about $300 or $400 pesos on the phone and it takes care of local calling without the extra fees.

Where? On Cozumel?

I have cingular and was able to make calls on my last trip in December. I got good signal and clear communications. I am not sure how much it was per minute though.

I was in Cozumel in December, my regular Cingular phone worked great. My friend had a Verizon and couldn't shut up about how great it was in the states. It was useless in Cozumel, 4 bars but no way to get out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom