Cell Service On Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies folks. All post were spot on. Just got back on Sunday. My Verizon phone was able to send and receive texts and calls. Luckly I only got a couple of each. One note, all my calls came through on the caller i d as restriced and I wasn't able to access voice mail. Probably a solution to both, but I wasn't that motivated to correct either. :wink:
For voicemail, you probably have to dial your cell number the same way you would make any call to the U.S.

I've used my phones to make local calls on both Bonaire and Curacao with no problems.
With smartphones, make sure that your DATA access is turned OFF when roaming or you could get a nasty surprise on your bill the following month. Using data via WiFi is OK...

My Verizon phone was able to send and receive texts and calls. PH

What kind of plan do you have with Verizon? I'm heading to Bonaire in May. I do not plan on using my cell, but it would be nice to be able to call and tell my family that I arrived safely and such. I have Verizon, but as far as I know, I do not have any kind of international plan.

What kind of plan do you have with Verizon? I'm heading to Bonaire in May. I do not plan on using my cell, but it would be nice to be able to call and tell my family that I arrived safely and such. I have Verizon, but as far as I know, I do not have any kind of international plan.
Calling From Bonaire (Netherland Antilles)

Basically it's $1.99 per minute incoming or outgoing. Or you can text your family for only 50 cents.

Calling From Bonaire (Netherland Antilles)

Basically it's $1.99 per minute incoming or outgoing. Or you can text your family for only 50 cents.

Incoming text are only .05 cents with Verizon.

PH

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I have a standard plan that includes international calls. What matters is not the plan, but if the country supports your network, which Bonaire does. You should be fine, but I suggest using texts to save money.

PH

How is the cell service on Bonaire? I hope to not be on my phone at all during vacation, but sometimes it's necessary.

Thanks,

PH

Use Skype at a WiFi hotspot.

It's generally a penny or two/minute.

flots

As I recall I had to contact Verizon to have them activate international calling. I also recall a boatload of roaming fees and charges along with the $1.99 per minute bite. You can rent a phone or a simm card at Chat & Browse. I also used Skype on my iPod Touch through the wifi at my hotel.

As I recall I had to contact Verizon to have them activate international calling. I also recall a boatload of roaming fees and charges along with the $1.99 per minute bite. You can rent a phone or a simm card at Chat & Browse. I also used Skype on my iPod Touch through the wifi at my hotel.
I activated international calling on my old VZW cell phone and I guess it "sticks" to the number since I upgraded to a Droid afterwards and that works there as well.
I don't recall any extra charges on my phone from last November's trip, but like I said, you want to make sure you disable data access when roaming. You should just keep it disabled all the time since in the U.S. you're (almost) never roaming...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom