Cenote diveop recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second Art's recommendation for Dive Tulum. I've trained with Fernando as have several of my buddies. He is highly regarded by many of the most serious Yucatan cave divers.

He can be reached at this email... but be patient... sometimes it takes a few days to get a response.

divetulum2003@yahoo.com

Dove with Aquatech, they were great. I was speaking with our guide and she said she is an independent guide. Not sure if that means they dive with other operators. We prepaid for the trip through our LDS, which was made easier by the fact that Aquatech has an office in the US as well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...I'm following them up right now with e-mails....and one more question - has anybody had experience with Blue Caribe, which operates out of the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya hotel ?

Tank Ha is a great dive shop. We dove with them out of the Playa Del Carmen location, though. Nice professional staff.

Stargazer:
Thanks for all of the suggestions...I'm following them up right now with e-mails....and one more question - has anybody had experience with Blue Caribe, which operates out of the Grand Oasis Riviera Maya hotel ?

We dove with them several trips, good group, prices inline with the other shops in Akumal...

Stay away from Aquatec/Villa Rosa or what ever they are going by now, you might dive with them, you might not, and if you prepay make sure you do it with a credit card so you can dispute it when they tell you that they lost your reservation or they cancel your dives.

TSandM:
HBDiveGirl did a cavern course with German Yanez of Yucatech this fall, and she had nothing but great things to say about him. In fact, my husband and I are probably going to do the same in March of 07.
Yes and Yes!
German Yanez Mendoza is Yucatech in Cozumel, and the NACD safety officer for the Cozumel cave systems. He is very willing to guide and teach in the mainland caves, too.

Our group had 2 full-Cave certified divers who were looking for a guide to introduce them to the Cozumel caves, and 2 experienced divers who wished to take the NACD Cavern Diver class.

The Cave divers were thrilled by German's knowledge and enthusiasm. German has worked closely with the University in Cozumel that is researching the unique organisms living in these caves. He is one of the authors of a recently published article about this. German went out of his way to work with our schedule, including driving us to the caves, bringing doubles for the cave guys to rent, and doing our class lecture at our hotel. My buddy and I loved the Cavern class and the whole experience with German.

German is a top-notch professional, brimming with knowledge and love of the Yucatan caves. I can't wait to return and take the Intro to Cave class with him.

Lynne, I'm delightfully jealous that you'll be diving with him in March.

Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
Yes and Yes!
German Yanez Mendoza is Yucatech in Cozumel, and the NACD safety officer for the Cozumel cave systems. He is very willing to guide and teach in the mainland caves, too.

Our group had 2 full-Cave certified divers who were looking for a guide to introduce them to the Cozumel caves, and 2 experienced divers who wished to take the NACD Cavern Diver class.

The Cave divers were thrilled by German's knowledge and enthusiasm. German has worked closely with the University in Cozumel that is researching the unique organisms living in these caves. He is one of the authors of a recently published article about this. German went out of his way to work with our schedule, including driving us to the caves, bringing doubles for the cave guys to rent, and doing our class lecture at our hotel. My buddy and I loved the Cavern class and the whole experience with German.

German is a top-notch professional, brimming with knowledge and love of the Yucatan caves. I can't wait to return and take the Intro to Cave class with him.

Lynne, I'm delightfully jealous that you'll be diving with him in March.

Claudette

We've used Dennis from Diable Divers in the past, but he's going to be on vacation when we are down in December.

I booked with German for a day of cenote dives for the mainland. We'll be in Coz for a week then Akumal for a week. We're going to go by the office and meet him while in Coz. I've really enjoyed the cenote dives I've done so far, and I was thinking about doing cavern cert. German came highly recommended as did a Dennis. If I do decide to do the course I'm pretty sure I won't go wrong with either of them.

For anyone who's interested, if you are staying on the mainland (I think PDC or south), he will pick you up at your hotel. The trip includes 2 dives at 2 different locations, tanks, weights, lunch, sodas, cenote entrance fees and transportation for $125pp. If you staying in Cozumel it's $145pp and also includes the ferry crossing.

Diablo Divers was $110 and we went to a great little restaurant near Tulum for lunch. We bought our own lunch, so, the total cost for the day between Diablo and Yucatech are about the same.

I've e-mailed German....trying to set up the dives with him......thanks to everyone for the advice, hope it works out now.

stefano at bahia divers is an excellent and experienced cenote guide...very safe and professional but fun too. He also does hotel pick up free of charge. www.bahiadivers.com

I'm partial to Protec after many hours in the caves with them, hooking up with Scott Carnahan for a few days was one of my most memorable times in Mexico. German from Cozumel was my NSS instructor. He's great, and definitely one of Mexico's finest cavers. If I was looking for more instruction, I'd go back to him in a heart beat.

Back
Top Bottom