Cenote diving in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to put together a last minute trip with my husband. We are AOW PADI divers and are really interested in diving the Cenotes. Looking to arrive on Thurs night / Friday morning mid may and leave on Monday. Questions - where to stay? whom should we dive with? Is this enough time to dive the Cenotes? We are coming in from NYC and we are looking to celebrate our first wedding anniversary under water.

tanks!
WaterDance

If your main focus is going to be the cenotes then stay in Playa or south. Akumal would actually be a great base for you. For a short stay in Akumal, prices at Vista del Mar's hotel are good and so is the location. Home Page -- Vista Del Mar Beachfront Hotel & Condos -- Akumal, Mexico Akumal is really quiet. If you want more nightlife or more variety of restaurants and bars then I'd stay in Playa. There are lots of small hotels there from reasonable to pricey.

Dennis is fantastic. Diablo Divers - Home (he sold Aquanauts but still has Diablo)

If you don't want to book a guide for the day, Hidden Worlds is another option. There are 3 cavern dives you can dive there. They have several guides so it's rarely a problem to get dives booked a day in advance. Hidden Worlds has become a "park" with other activities now too. Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya You could easily spend the better part of a day there doing a couple cenote dives then other activities.

If your focus is on the cenotes, I'm with Scubawife -- you want to stay somewhere in the area of the caves (being down there gives you more choice of guides, as well). We stay in Puerto Aventuras, where there are a lot of condos available, and you might also check into the Catalonia all-inclusive, as their rates may be attractive by that time (you're out of high season). There are also accomodations in Akumal and a lot of places in Tulum, but I don't know much about them.

I would also recommend Dennis Weeks of Diablo Divers as a wonderful tour guide. Be patient with him; he's not the fastest guy at returning e-mails, and it's often better to call.

When my wife makes the choice, we would stay in Akumal. Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation has an excellent listing of condos right on the beach.

If you know the local "rules of the road", renting a car makes more sense that paying for a transfer from the airport for a short stay. We always stop in PDC and "provision up" at either the Mega or Walmart on our way down. The Super Chomak in Akumal is a very expensive place to shop

Last edited:
Looking to put together a last minute trip with my husband. We are AOW PADI divers and are really interested in diving the Cenotes. Looking to arrive on Thurs night / Friday morning mid may and leave on Monday. Questions - where to stay? whom should we dive with? Is this enough time to dive the Cenotes? We are coming in from NYC and we are looking to celebrate our first wedding anniversary under water.

tanks!
WaterDance
Arrive Friday morning, drive to Akumal/Tulum area, dive Saturday & Sunday, keeping dives Sunday shallow, fly anytime Monday. I've done 20 ft dives with the blessings of my Tech Inst and flew that afternoon.

Fares from NYC for that weekend have fluctuated a lot....
xank92.jpg

You could take the Ado bus, comfy. Best buy in a rental car might be Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental CarEasy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car. I think you'd want an automatic trans with full coverage, no charge for two drivers on contract...
1e8fo4.jpg

Order Maps Now! Cancun information Get the Mayan Adventure and request the free Cancun airport map so you can find your way back ok. Hiway 307 is easy but the airport is not.

Sidestep.com offers 4 star Hotel Posada 06 in Tulum for $97/night or many other choices. Akumal looks pricier?

Dandydon I can see you LOVE tracking all these various fares and discounts don't you... :D
I try to help others get more diving done. Living a minimum of two flights from almost any good diving has encouraged me to try a larger variety of locations from Seattle to the St.Lawrence, Catalina, NC, etc - but I've also tried to learn how to get the most from the dollars, after spending too much many times. :sad:

Some will say "try Sidestep.com," some will also explain why, but I do like to also show. I never know how adapt one is at searching the net and sites so try to illustrate, and while I usually don't know their tastes - most like to start with the cheapest and compare. At least this thread has an origin, location and date. :cool:

If WD can go early and get back late, they can get another day of diving in...
vg4gev.jpg

Also see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...s/331431-fun-orbitz-200-package-discount.html for longer trips.

I just purchased the book Cenotes of the Riviera Maya.

Also, wanted to say thanks to Dandydon! Ben and I are trying to get that extra day off. thanks for all the info!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom