Cenote diving in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding this comment

"Dennis is fantastic. Diablo Divers - Home (he sold Aquanauts but still has Diablo) "
Ummm, according to the previous and new owners, Dennis may well be fantastic but he did not sell Aquanauts.... that's because he never owned it!! I was considering buying it and made enquiries. I know who signed the papers.
Just another bit of disinformation and myth.

Decide where you want to stay and then do a search for local dive centers. That's my advice because things will run more smoothly with the dive center close by rather than someone who travels to pick you up, well, as long as it's a decent shop that is. Of course, you will pick where you want to stay according to where you want to dive. If it is R&R and cenote diving you are after, then try the beach in Tulum (hundreds of nice boutique hotels and one of the worlds best rated beaches) and half a dozen cenotes are within 15 minutes drive. Akumal is nice, but the beach (IMHO) is nowhere near as nice and much much busier and commercialized. It's very Gringoized (like my new word?)
That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
p.s. The book Cenotes of the Riviera Maya is an awesome coffee table book, I've had copies of it for many years, lots of great pictures but it is somewhat out of date regarding access information, entrance fees etc.

hi Water Dance hope is not too late for your cenote experience, try Aquanauts at Puerto Aventuras, very nice guides and very personal attention. you'll have fun

Even that Dennis still have Diablo divers make sure as a turist to support legal bussiness, that contributes to the country and gives jobs to mexican people

Hey

There are lots of places to stay, but if you want to dive the cenote stay between Playa and Tulum. I can recomend the Labnah hotel in Playa for a nice good priced hotel in a great location in the center of Playa.

As for the cenotes the great thing about them is they all have there own unique qualities some i would recomend are Dos Ojos meaning the two eyes this is a popular one and a great cavern dive with awsome staligmites, colums etc Casa cenote is completely different being right on a beach with a tunnel to the ocean (cave divers only) which gives you a mixture of fresh and salt water creating haloclines and a lot of juvenile fish. Then another type proberly a bit more adventuras is Angelita this is a deep cenote (200ft) in the jungel and has a resident crocdile the main attraction for this one though is the hydrogen sulfate cloud (100ft) and is a completely unique expirence. Check our web for the video Home-Ecodivingtours

dive shallow on the sunday and wait 12hours before flying.

Hope this helps have a great trip Jamie at Ecodiving

Regarding this comment

"Dennis is fantastic. Diablo Divers - Home (he sold Aquanauts but still has Diablo) "
Ummm, according to the previous and new owners, Dennis may well be fantastic but he did not sell Aquanauts.... that's because he never owned it!! I was considering buying it and made enquiries. I know who signed the papers.
Just another bit of disinformation and myth.

I don't get into this crap online, however, if you are going to make this statement. Back it up. Show me who signed the papers then. I know who did because I was there signing them.

Please don't hide behind an internet name, post who you are and show the proof.

Until then, I suggest that we all put no value on your post as I would any other anonymous loud mouth that only adds negative comments in any of their posts.

Regards,

Dennis Weeks

Looking to put together a last minute trip with my husband. We are AOW PADI divers and are really interested in diving the Cenotes. Looking to arrive on Thurs night / Friday morning mid may and leave on Monday. Questions - where to stay? whom should we dive with? Is this enough time to dive the Cenotes? We are coming in from NYC and we are looking to celebrate our first wedding anniversary under water.

tanks!
WaterDance

We did it last may you will love it:wink: All the operators are very good. Here is the video of our trip: Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

If your main focus is going to be the cenotes then stay in Playa or south. Akumal would actually be a great base for you. For a short stay in Akumal, prices at Vista del Mar's hotel are good and so is the location. Home Page -- Vista Del Mar Beachfront Hotel & Condos -- Akumal, Mexico Akumal is really quiet. If you want more nightlife or more variety of restaurants and bars then I'd stay in Playa. There are lots of small hotels there from reasonable to pricey.

Dennis is fantastic. Diablo Divers - Home (he sold Aquanauts but still has Diablo)

I second Scubawife in recommending Dennis Weeks with Diablo. The two of us dove Dos Ojos together a few years back. He's a great guide and a really nice guy. He picked us up at the Mosquito Blue Hotel where we were staying in Playa Del Carmen, and took us for a personal tour of Tulum before the cenote dives; and then to lunch aftewards. Playa is definately the place to stay.

I'll put in a plug for Alvaro with alwaysdiving.com. We've dove Cancun/Puerto Morales/Playa del Carmen and Cenote Chac Mool with him over the last two years. He's fabulous.

if you stay in cancun try scorpio divers, great fellows, and gonzalo,is one of the best cave guides I've ever seen, escellente service and friendly people, they also provide transportation fron your hotel to the cenote area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom