cenote -equipment configured for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I have been reading the cenote links and keep coming across "as long as the guide's equipment is configured for cave diving it should be ok". So what does equipment configured for cave diving look like? Mostly I've heard they have to have doubles... what else? I am considering cenote diving on my trip to Playa del Carmen. I get the impression that the cenotes have a ceiling above the surface of the water so are not completely filled. Are there any cenotes that are good for AOW divers? Thanks

I dove the Hidden Worlds Cenotes in Akumal and there was no requirement to be Cave Certified.

http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/

I was the last diver with some ladies and the dive master. I got seperated, sunk into a hole into the ground, and they didn't even know I was missing. Found them by accident. For the most part, the ceiling is not open (believe me I know). Be careful, it's Mexico.......... This was also the best dive I have ever done, amazing colors.

ShakaZulu:
I dove the Hidden Worlds Cenotes in Akumal and there was no requirement to be Cave Certified.

http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/

I was the last diver with some ladies and the dive master. I got seperated, sunk into a hole into the ground, and they didn't even know I was missing. Found them by accident. For the most part, the ceiling is not open (believe me I know). Be careful, it's Mexico.......... This was also the best dive I have ever done, amazing colors.

OMG shaka, there is a requirement fo the GUIDE TO BE CAVE CERTIFIED. It is now the LAW, so anyone reading this,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,

CARD YOUR GUIDE...............

do not go anywhere near the cenotes unless you are being guided by someone who can prove they know what they are doing.

It might also help to get some cavern/overhead training yourself, as you cant trust on the guide always being in the right place at the right time to bail you out should things happen.

Apart from the certification being required, the guide's cave configuration would include long hose (probably a bungeed second), doubles, cave light, back up lights, reels.

I dont know if the guiding on these tours is done following a line or by eye from one cavern area to another that the guide "knows" and is leading you through. Also i have no idea how far apart some of these caverns are and in fact if you are going into the cave zone (unable to see the exit).

simbrooks:
I dont know if the guiding on these tours is done following a line or by eye from one cavern area to another that the guide "knows" and is leading you through. .

They all follow a fixed line. Not to do so would be stupidity of the highest degree.

There are some place in many of the popular cavern tours where to the uniniciated, it may feel like a cave, and you may not see bright sunlight, but the moment you cover your light you can see the exit, or you will find that you are under a breathable surface even though that has a roof.

I was thinking there must be a line, it would seem the safest option - but that doesnt mean people would do it. I suspect one of those large diameter (1/2") poly ones like they have around here in the OW safe caverns that can sustain abuse.

I have heard of some folks doing jumps by eye, at least on accident or near miss reports - although that didnt sound the safest option under any circumstance. :wink: With regard to the cenotes, of course i dont know the bottom/wall silt conditions, so the distance from the line might not be as much of an issue there as with some caverns (and caves i havent/wont go near yet - til trained at least) here.

One day when i get my visa stamped (probably next fall, travel the following year, 2006) i might well try to make a trip in that direction. By then i know i could have done intro, but probably not full cave.

By the standards of any agency that I know, any guide for a CAVERN Tour (they do not do tours into the caves unless you are cave certified) must be configured in full cave equipment as per their standards, most of which is the same or similar. This is a safety factor should a diver not be aware and go where they are not suppose to. The caverns have lines for these tours. You should make 100% certain that your tour guide is a fully certified cave diver and at least a cavern instructor

Yes, the guide was "Cave Certified" with all the long hose/bottles/lights etc. We had to follow him and there was a line, but we were asked not to touch the line as it may become undone etc. If you loose the group though and you can't find the line, then bend over and kiss your.......... It's pretty safe, but there is always the chance right. In hindsite, I would definatley recommend some cave training, just to make you aware of what could.

ShakaZulu:
I got seperated, sunk into a hole into the ground, and they didn't even know I was missing.

Shaka, I'm curious, what do you mean by sunk in a hole?

I dived at Dos Ojos in August. And I'm having difficulty visualizing the hole!!! Can you explain more?

(And yes, all the proper cards and gear were there. There was only three of us, myself and two men. (Ever notice it seems to be the men that get left behind?)) :wink:

I've done Hidden Worlds also, and really loved it. I was going in just as the IMAX crew was coming out. They had just filmed a piece for the movie "Amazing Caves".

I fully intend to get cave certified someday, but for now I would suggest at least a cavern class to teach you how to deal w/overhead environments.

How about some detail on the various Cavern/intro to Cave Diving classes/courses out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom