cenote -equipment configured for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't Dos Ojos beautiful? Like two disco strobes shining in from the jungle! I'll never forget it!

pennypue:
Shaka, I'm curious, what do you mean by sunk in a hole?

I dived at Dos Ojos in August. And I'm having difficulty visualizing the hole!!! Can you explain more?

(And yes, all the proper cards and gear were there. There was only three of us, myself and two men. (Ever notice it seems to be the men that get left behind?)) :wink:

Very simple, I had to keep three ladies ahead of me. At one point one was behind me, don't know how that happened. Anyway, waited for her to pass, we were in an overhead, with no light and water to the ceiling. As I waited for her to pass, I was looking at stuff around me, not realizing I was sinking slowly. Time passed, and I decided that she should have passed by know, I turned back, only to find a wall in front of me. Covered my light, but couldn't see any light. Pointed my light upwards, and saw light. Swam up, but it was only the reflection of my light off my bubbles on the ceiling.......waaazzaa, there you go.

ShakaZulu:
Very simple, I had to keep three ladies ahead of me. At one point one was behind me, don't know how that happened. Anyway, waited for her to pass, we were in an overhead, with no light and water to the ceiling. As I waited for her to pass, I was looking at stuff around me, not realizing I was sinking slowly. Time passed, and I decided that she should have passed by know, I turned back, only to find a wall in front of me. Covered my light, but couldn't see any light. Pointed my light upwards, and saw light. Swam up, but it was only the reflection of my light off my bubbles on the ceiling.......waaazzaa, there you go.
Wow Shaka! I'm not sure exactly how you can 'sink' while looking at fixed points without realizing but it does sound as if the old bouyancy might need a bit of work!!:eyebrow:

ShakaZulu:

Then what?

evad:
Then what?

It's actually more difficult to realize that you are sinking in complete darkness, since your point of reference is whatever is at the end of the light beam, and if you move that around, the only way to know is by looking at your depth gage or feeling the pressure changes. So, realizing that I lost my dive buddies, looking into a couple of passages, not entering I realized that the S has now hit the fan. Send up a couple of quick prayers up, but nothing came back, must have been outside the coverage area. I picked a passage and decided to go for it, now using my compass, so that I at least knew where to come back to if I didn't find the line or an exit (rule number 1 - don't panick). My luck, I saw light as I dove down this passage. The passage led into this huge chamber, and the bright light of the guide was visible in the distance. Swam to them, and they didn't even know I was missing.

Wow!!!! Now I know why my buddy/instructor(also cave) put me in the middle!!! Just an extra precaution, even though he knows that I never lose him or he me. (pays to look good on the boats, LOL) But he also knows that I always check for the person who should be following me too. Shame on her for not checking that you were there!!!!!!

Nice job controlling yourself too.
(maybe someday you'll use an avatar of me? :D)

ShakaZulu:
. . . (rule number 1 - don't panick). . .

Actually, Rule Number 1 is don't dive beyond the level of your training!!

Don't panic is a given.

theskull

Insure that your guide is: full cave certified, at least a dive master and has taken and passed the APSA guide course.

Also, insure that the company you are diving with provides a good hand held light for your tour - I don't know how any guide could lead without everyone in the group having a light. One board member here kept turning his light out, which cause me just a little grief :) during one tour, till I asked him to keep it on). As a guide in a cenote you swim with your head between your legs 90% of the time.

I have seen some dumb things, choose your guide well. But remember what Cancun Mark mentioned that you can always see your way out. There isn't one cavern dive on the Yucatan where you can't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom