Cenote exposure protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going to Coz end of Nov. beg. of Dec. with hopefully 1 cenote day. I need to buy a new wetsuit, and I recall that the cenotes were a bit chilly. 3 mil OK? or suggest a 5 mil? Currently all I have is a skin, and not sure that will cut it. I know everyone is different....

TIA

As many will say, exposure protection is pretty personal. I've dove the Cenotes twice, both times in November, in a 3mil full, no hood, and was very comfortable; one of the divers with us was in a 3mil shorty and also comfortable. Water temps were Mares 79F. The dive guides were in 7mil w/hood and gloves.

I dive mostly in Southern California, so dry suit or 7+mil the norm for us.

Used my 3mil and added a hooded core warmer due to the fact that I had been diving all week and MY core was cold.

I use a 3mm; the guides usually wear 5mm or 7mm (especially if they will go in the caves, not only the Cenote halls.

The water temperature is a pretty constant 75 degrees. I did my original tours in a 3 mil suit with 2 mil hooded vest, and I was fine. The tour dives are fairly short, in the range of about 40 minutes, and you are getting out to fairly warm air.

If you are buying a new wetsuit and would otherwise get a 5 mil, do it. You won't be too warm.

I dive the Cenotes in a 3/2 full with 3mm hood and 5mm booties. I'm fine. My wife wears a 5mm full/hood/booties and she's fine. Just depends on your tolerances.

The water is 75F +/- 1 degree, in my experience.

I was wearing a 2/3 plus a 2 mil vest and was pretty chilled by the end of the 2nd dive. We had been diving in Coz all week, so that may have contributed. I'd take my 5 mill, or a 2/3 with a 3 mill shorty over top.

I'd say a 3mm full is the minimum especially if you want to do multiple days. The temp was around 75F from what I recall. I never had to wear a hood but then I don't usually get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom