Cenotes day trip worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um - camera or no, I try not to make a habit of laying on reefs...not good for me, and really bad for the reef...:cool2:, but thanks for the advice!! I'll have everyone practice their frog kicks and helicopter turns ahead of time!

I didn't realize that Tulum proper was that far from the cenotes. Sounds like it's a separate adventure. Just another reason for a return trip!

Bless you for not lying on the reef.
I watched 5 weeks of photographers who considered their pictures far more important than the health of the reef. And 5 weeks of DMs signaling and talking to them about staying off the reef. :shakehead:
The reef may recover in years or decades, but the formations inside the cenotes do not regrow at all.
Could not suggest bringing a camera without making reference to excellent skills! :)
Thanks for your efforts with your gang!

The cenotes are amazing. Hope your adventure is a blast!

Definitely do the Cenotes...it's awesome and its so different. I did Dos Ojos & Batcave and it was very cool. Max depth about 25'. The water is cooler than the ocean. I wore a 5mm, but I wear 5mm in the 80 degree ocean too (+ a hood). A 3mm might be OK if you don't get cold easily.

I brought my video camera and light. It worked out pretty well. It's more of a wide-angle type of thing since there aren't many fish in there.

I was coming from Playa del Carmen and I didn't get back until 3:30pm - just so you know. It's most likely an all day even especially since you're coming from Coz.

Hey P1970-
You got vids to share?!?

I was coming from Playa del Carmen and I didn't get back until 3:30pm - just so you know. It's most likely an all day even especially since you're coming from Coz.
That's true, and that's the reason I wouldn't want to do it on my last day.

When I did the Cenotes it was my 15th dive. I liked the diving and the climb into the Cenote even though it was a bit strenuous for my wife. But I did not enjoy it as much as out on the reef due to once you've seen one cave you have seen them all. It is also good idea to keep a very close eye on the DM instead of the diver in front of you as he may start to follow a group that is going in when you are comming out, which happened to us. Fortunately our DM quickly got us back. Just be sure to bring your own torch.

once you've seen one cave you have seen them all.

Oh, this makes me weep . . .

I think they are worth doing. We only did Dos Ojos / Bat Cave but I thought they were cool. If you do them on your last day you get a nice fresh water rinse for your gear.

We did the dives with the shop at Villas DeRosa.

OK - like I wasn't stoked enough! Great vid!! Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone -

Booked for 6 nights/5 days of diving in Nov with Blue Angel. Just wondering your opinions of the Cenote dives over on the mainland.

There will be 3 divers in our party, two newer and myself. It's been 17 years since I've been diving in Coz, and want to take in as much as possible.

Do you guys consider a day trip to dive the Cenotes (which I believe Blue Angel offers) to be a 'must do' even if it means missing one of our days on Coz? I know we could do a night dive that day, but might be too bushed after?!?!

Thanks all!

T

I will let you know what I think when I return, I have not dove a Cenote but I will be on Cozumel in a few weeks and will be taking the ferry to the mainland to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom