Cenotes - how 'enclosed' are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
Another basic question...

I'm a competent OW diver (good buoyancy and air consumption) but feel very nervous about the idea not having an open-water surface above me. I've tried to gauge from pictures whether cenotes diving would be for me, but I can't tell how much you're really enclosed in tunnels with formations over your head, or whether you are largely in the open water. I have read that you are never more than 60m from an exit, which sounds a pretty long way but I can't really visualise what that means in practise.

Would this be the kind of thing a guide could work around, i.e. take us to the most suitable sites which won't scare me? I'm also strict about sticking to the 18m OW limit (for insurance purposes apart from anything else). If it's very enclosed I may have to stick to snorkelling as I don't want to miss going in the cenotes but don't want to mess up a dive for the rest of the group.

Thanks!

It depends on the cenote...while there are strict rules as to distance from open water (200' I believe) some cenotes are more "cave-like" than others. If I remember correctly Chac Mool is a good one if you want to see the sunlight a lot on the dive. If you use a dive operator who specialized in small groups he/she could certainly tailor the dive to address your concerns. I recommend Erik Rosenstein of Beyond Diving. To be perfectly honest with you, if the thought of an overhead environment, even a partial one, causes you a lot of anxiety you might want to try snorkeling in a cenote first. If you are really nervous you will blow through your air quicker than usual and you won't likely enjoy yourself. Just my opinion though :)

For an OW, it will probably feel like a cave to you. It will be dark with some narrower parts and some larger rooms (it will depend on which cenote). It will really come down to your level of anxiety, but know that the guides are excellent, there will be an exit close as well as air sources close (other divers). The cenotes are an amazing experience for any diver. One you'll be glad you've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cenotes which are used for the tours vary a great deal. Ponderosa (Cenote Eden) has a cavern dive where you are basically diving alongside another Cenote, with a lot of great views out into the sunlight and open water. Dos Ojos, on the other hand, has a cavern line I'm not even sure is legitimately a cavern, and I felt very much as though I was cave diving when I did that one.

Personally, I think it is probably a lot safer to violate your 60 foot limit than to dive under an overhead, so if you hold to the former limit, you might want to hold to the latter one as well.

Thanks for the videos. We have dived Chac Mool, very much like the first video. The second I will never see, that is for certain.

Thanks for all your replies.

The suggestion of snorkelling first is a good one. I think I may well find that I'm absolutely fine once I'm there (I've done caving before which I thought I'd hate but didn't give it a 2nd thought once I was involved).

It's also worth considering that for example the open water area of cenote Eden is gorgeous and worth a visit as such.

//LN

In theory you are supposed to be within 200 feet of the exit but I cannot swear that it works that way every time. But cenote diving is dependent on the guide. My wife was AOW but with only 31 dives when she came to Yucatan with me. Also, she suffers from moderate claustrophobia. We went with Eric Burgess and he was so calm, competent and safe that neither of us felt the slightest bit apprehensive in the 9 cenote dives that we did. The rule is, follow the guide's instructions, do not go to crevices marked as off bounds for non-cave divers and don't panic. Remember that though enclosed, cenotes are mostly very shallow and most guides follow the rule of thirds with cenote diving.

What people all too often pussy foot around when this question arises is that a "cavern dive" is, in reality, a "cave dive" in that you are in an overhead environment. There is NO direct access to open water in a "cavern dive" in a Cenote. Yes, you are always supposed to be within 200 feet (depth/distance) from open water (BTW, that 200 foot is more or less) and you are always supposed to be able to "see sunlight" -- BUT, you are under rock pretty much the whole time.

Me, I love to dive in caves and the first time I need a Cenote tour I was hooked and came out knowing I would be back and go beyond "the sign.". But, every time I do a cavern dive (and often I do them as I'm coming out of "the cave" -- I'm still in the overhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom