Censorship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
ScubaBoard is on the move & growing by leaps & bounds! We know that it is you, our membership, that is responsible for the phenomenal success of this board. We want to know what all of our members think about our community as it is today - both the positive & the negative - so that we can continue to make ScubaBoard the best possible place for scuba divers to spend their time above the water. Feel free to give us your comments, remarks and feedback, on any policy / moderation topic that you think we need to hear about.

IMO, I feel that censorship at Scubaboard is getting out of hand. I've been told in the past to not "play moderator" in threads and to use the report post instead. Recently I reported a post and now I've been "warned" that I'm being abusive / trolling against another member.

I was also told that if I didn't agree that I should "appeal". Really? I'm being told that reporting a post is abusive. What would appealing be considered?

If Scubaboard really wants my real opinion, I think moderating is going way beyond what is needed to prevent flame wars and problematic content. I think it's strictly enforcing financial interests and making sure the right people and agendas get promoted.

So this forum says that positive and negative feedback, especially on any policy or moderation topic is welcome. So this is it. This is my opinion. If I get warned, censored or banned for saying it then we'll all know what the truth is.

Whoa, Whoa . . . shhhhhhhhhhh . . . There's absolutely no "censorship" here at Scubaboard. Nope, nope, nope . . . ; that would be untoward.

We have "moderation" here. There's a huge difference -- huge!

Be advised that if you continue to persist in this "censorship" nonsense, you should expect to be responsibly "moderated."

. . . it's for your own good.

::popcorn::

It is worth noting that ScubaBoard does have some practical liability for the posts of its members, as we have found out.

The beauty of the internet is how easy and cheap it is to set up your own site. You and Diogenesdemar could pool resources. If censorship is truly a big problem here I am sure you'll have no trouble attracting interest from the many disgruntled members. If that seems like too much trouble perhaps the moderation philosophies at The Deco Stop, Dive Matrix, or Undercurrent will suit you better. Wetpixel is excellent for underwater photographers. Good luck.

I fail to see the liability associated with a reported post. While I did run a sizable multinode bulletin board back in the day, and current cloud offerings would make it very cost effective to set up a site like ScubaBoard, I have absolutely no interest in doing so.

I just wanted to provide my feedback. There has to be a happy median between the anarchy of usenet (rec.scuba) and what we have today. Perhaps distributed social networking protocols will emerge.

Request a refund and step along. Others have.

:shakehead:

I keep to scuba topics only and have not had an issue

Have you ever considered maybe you are just being a pain in the butt?

I have argued with multiple moderators and been in many heated discussions over the years, yet I have never been censored.

Maybe this post will earn me that honor? I am not trying to be mean but it seems you are very sensitive and complaining about relatively trivial issues.

IMO, I feel that censorship at Scubaboard is getting out of hand.

You mean compared to when you weren't here? (kidding)

While I agree with chrpai when it comes to most of the issues, flogging ScubaPro, etc., but ... there is no censorship here of anything except rudeness, and the accusation that businesses get treated any differently is way wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom