certification for homebuilt rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One problem is that many divemasters and isntructors do not know about all the certification agencies and what they stand for so there is always a problem when someone comes with a certificate they do not understand.

So in a way you need a Padi certification but I guess for me I could make my own c-card on my own Rebreather i built myself and use that to show to the operator.

I understand them since they want to keep themselves covered and not be the ones responsible.

I think to sign a waiver is a good idea and i just think the boat has to be responsible for briefing diveguiding if needed and to have a log on what divers are in the water and who has come back.

I never expect them to do some real babysitting.

Still there might be a problem with people that even have taken a course for the diving they do. I heard of a guy who had bought a quite advanced CCR rebreather and taken the course and bought all the gadgets but when he was selling his rebreather it showed he had no real knowledge about how to operate it and service it which can be extremely dangerous if he had kept using it.
Maybe he realized his limitations so he sold the unit.

Sad thing is that with some fancy plastics you can dive however you like.

PoseidonSv:
Still there might be a problem with people that even have taken a course for the diving they do. I heard of a guy who had bought a quite advanced CCR rebreather and taken the course and bought all the gadgets but when he was selling his rebreather it showed he had no real knowledge about how to operate it and service it which can be extremely dangerous if he had kept using it.
Maybe he realized his limitations so he sold the unit.

Sad thing is that with some fancy plastics you can dive however you like.

I find it strange and a tad disconcerting that any RB instructor would allow an RB candidate to graduate, or qualify not fully comprehending, nor showing beginning mastery of RB mechanics and physics. If what you heard was true, I would say that the candidate knew his limitations and did the right thing - took himself out of service.

Having seen similar situations and the relative ease of getting cards I would say that reputation, multiple RB cert. cards to show mastery + tech insurance might be the best way to get service from operators who do not know you?

Personally, I have never had a dive boat, or operator ask me about my qualifications. But then again, I only use a few select vendors/operators who I know. Unknown service vendors present major challenges to RB divers & instructors.

X

I agree with you Mr.X the problems can quite easily be avoided but it would be nice to rest assured that i have a card to show for the rebreather i built myself and love to go diving with.

Here is photos of the progress of building the machine I even added some parts today that finally arived at home, if there is some interrested I might take some new photos and write a report about it.

http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/album.asp?userId=1770&albumId=10162

I have no idea where any of you live, but I am from California. There is no waver or form that prevents anyone from suing anyone, no mater who is right. I guess they figure that is for the courts to decide. Time in court is money out of a dive operators pocket and that’s not good for the bottom line. I feel your pain but if you ask first it could save you a trip to the boat just to watch it leave port without you. A rebreather can be intimidating to some but I feel that scuba of any kind should not be taken lightly it is an unnatural act done in a foreign environment. That being said any combination of two different rigs or a modification of any certified rig may be a poor diction for some people to use that may want to dive a CCR but can not afford one. The open circuit world is great and the SCR is better and the CCR world is the best I have seen. But using any equipment in away the manufacturer did not intend it to be used will not always be accepted any where you go. My best advice is to take all your knowledge about rebreathers and make one that is better than any one offered then sell it. If you can’t do that save your money and buy one that meats your needs and is backed by certifying agencies OR dive open circuit.

ECVdiver:
I have no idea where any of you live, but I am from California. There is no waver or form that prevents anyone from suing anyone, no mater who is right. I guess they figure that is for the courts to decide. Time in court is money out of a dive operators pocket and that’s not good for the bottom line. I feel your pain but if you ask first it could save you a trip to the boat just to watch it leave port without you. A rebreather can be intimidating to some but I feel that scuba of any kind should not be taken lightly it is an unnatural act done in a foreign environment. That being said any combination of two different rigs or a modification of any certified rig may be a poor diction for some people to use that may want to dive a CCR but can not afford one. The open circuit world is great and the SCR is better and the CCR world is the best I have seen. But using any equipment in away the manufacturer did not intend it to be used will not always be accepted any where you go. My best advice is to take all your knowledge about rebreathers and make one that is better than any one offered then sell it. If you can’t do that save your money and buy one that meats your needs and is backed by certifying agencies OR dive open circuit.

Having a signed waiver does help the defendant in court. Of course, in the United States you can sue anybody for anything - it's just whether you have a case and the $ to see it to the end.

As per rebreather diving and a possible fatality, or injury - there are a lot of factors to always consider. Any incident is never black and white. Modifying a piece of kit (beyond the manufacturer's original specs). doesn't necessarily mean liability.

However, if I were a boat operator and I saw someone who showed a certain lack of judgement I would make sure to ask for certifications, ask questions, observe carefully during setup and have someone passively watch this person in the water. I know. I've been there as the baby sitter.

X

"However, if I were a boat operator and I saw someone who showed a certain lack of judgement I would make sure to ask for certifications, ask questions, observe carefully during setup and have someone passively watch this person in the water. I know. I've been there as the baby sitter. "

This sounds great and I am not "fishing" but the reality in the U.S.A. is that if someone is stupid and you let them be stupid its your fuelt. If you ask me my opinioun is let darwin take charge and there wound be very few law suits

A couple of you got it right. LePrieur, Cousteau and Gagnan did not invent SCUBA certification, they just built SCUBA gear and went diving. They built the Aqua Lung and recreational diving was born. There was no "agency" to certify them.

Certification agencies came later, and they are a good thing because they disseminate information that has been learned through the ages about diving that would be hard to discover, safely, by ones self.

If you have built a diving apparatus and you are confident in the operation of said apparatus, then you can certify that you, as the designer/builder, are competent in its use. If you were to build a tree house would you need a state license to hang out in it and drink tea? I think not.

Certify they self as a diver of your rig.

That is a very good way to put it and i agree with you fully in this.

muddiver:
If you were to build a tree house would you need a state license to hang out in it and drink tea? I think not.

I had to chuckle when I read this as I had watched a news report a few years back that a person that had built a tree house/fort for his kids had to get it inspected by the city when a neighbor had complained. He ended up having to get a permit for it. I don't recall where this was.

muddiver:
If you have built a diving apparatus and you are confident in the operation of said apparatus, then you can certify that you, as the designer/builder, are competent in its use. If you were to build a tree house would you need a state license to hang out in it and drink tea? I think not.

Yeah you would think that...but then your not taking into account that morons have power in this country.

I remember my dad having to go to court because a neighbor reported, the deck we built in our back yard, to the city....And we had to have it inspected, plans drawn up, and have multiple folks sign off on our weekend project...

And not sure about you but I get scared thinking about some of the people I have seen diving getting the idea to certify something they made to go diving..

I think the easiest solution is to use your own boat or only use people who are willing to let you do what you want (good luck with that)

Back
Top Bottom