Certify

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfolsom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have had my class room and pool sessions on OW and and UW Photography. Tomorrow I go for classroom/pool for Nitrox and Friday will be for Dive Computer. The weekend of the 29th is when I actually get to go to Loch Low Minn and finish/begin. :cool2: I hope that 3 mil wetsuit is enough for water in the 50's.

3 mil, 50 degree water, and how many dives? Lets see 4 for ow, at min 2 for uw photography, I'm guessing PADI since no dives required now for nitrox and I'm betting none for dive computer. Did not even know that was a separate class. so at least 6 dives. You'll be pulling them out of your chest until the following tuesday at least. Your cahoneys that is. Seriously that is bordering on a real danger of hypothermia. Does your instructor know about this?

I strongly suggest you at least do the dive in a minimum of 5 mil for safety reasons. I do 50s in a 5 mil and it takes a toll on me then even. Good luck on the cert :)

Yes, 5mm minimum, if not 7mm. Cold water is VERY different from cold air (remember from your studies about the body losing heat 25X's faster in water than air?). Colder waters are not something to be taken lightly. On the other hand, it sounds like you have a full plate,.... enjoy!

..I hope that 3 mil wetsuit is enough for water in the 50's.
I doubt it. The water around here is routinely in the mid-50's and a 7mm full suit, boots, hoods and gloves - and people still get cold.

Listen to them all, 3mm in 50's water is really not a good idea, especially since much of your time doing those dives you will be more or less stationary, so no activity to warm you up.

If you can't rent a thicker suit, drink a TON of water before each dive, and pee your way through them!

50s is drysuit zone for me! 7mm minimum!

You've already gotten a bunch of responses, but here's my take on it. I'm 170 pounds, 6'1 and I get cold easily. I do my OW dives in low to mid 50s water on memorial day weekend. I'll be wearing a 3mm farmer john over a 5/3 hooded vest with a 7mm step in jacket, 5 mm gloves and 7mm booties. That's 13mm on my core, 5 on my head and hands, 3 on my legs and 7 on my arms and feet. I suspect I'll still be colder than I like.

I've been hypothermic before and, trust me, it's not a pleasant experience. Do yourself a favor and add some more neoprene or a dry suit. There's no point freezing your butt off when you could be enjoying your dive(s).

Wow...OW, UW Photo, Nitrox and you are working on learning to use your dive computer for the first time? If i misunderstood you are taking these at the same time and I am thinking Sensory Overload! Well, as for your 3mm question...depends on you...do you get cold easily? I have a few friends with some extra "insulation" that wear 3mm wetsuits in 52 degree water and are fine the whole dive...while I am in a 7mm, hooded vest, and gloves and freezing. It will be cold...but if you are a polar bear, you might just be fine...otherwise I might recommend renting a thicker suit.

Ask your instructor. If he says you will be OK, find another instructor. Seriously 3mm is just not enough protection for sub 60 water. Hypothermia is possible for water under 90 degrees. Crossing under 65 and it becomes a real danger. It is not a matter of if but when in colder water and a suit is there to prolong the when.

Also, you are already going to be having a million things going through your mind. The last thing you want to be focused on is how cold you are. Rent or buy a hefty 7mm wetsuit and take a hot water bottle to prime the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom