Chain Store v. Small Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the shop, I suppose. My LDS of choice is owned by the two guys who run it. They'd been working for one of the two "chain" shops in our area, and decided they could do it better on their own. To my concern, they have.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, that's where I am getting certified. And even though I've only been in the shop once, I've called several times and they've been MORE than helpful. I'm all about supporting the little guy. I hope that when it comes time for me to buy gear, that their prices will be relatively similar to what I can get online. Local support is awesome. I get my photo gear locally and it's well worth the little bit more I pay in cost. Plus, I am bad at waiting for shipping. Much too impatient. Buying things used is great, too. Reducing the carbon footprint, and all.

I'm new to diving-dont even have certification yet, but do have some input on this subject. My first piece of new diving equipment was purchasing a new wetsuit from liesurepro, I got a good deal on it, and I got something that not everyone that goes to my LDS has. However it was a package deal and the booties and hood dont fit me correctly, but my dad is now using the booties. During class almost everyone is dressed in the same blue/black scuba pro 3/2 wetsut, its kind of annoying. However if I would of purchased from my LDS with the student discount, it would of been cheaper after I factored in shipping. On another note I just purchased a BCD, Reg, and computer from my LDS after student discount for only $50 more then I would of payed liesurepro after shipping. By purchasing from my LDS, I now have a better relationship with them, and I know I wont have any problems with warranty. If my LDS doesnt carry the product I want though, I will have no problem ordering from Liesurepro again, that is where I will probally get my drysuit. Hope that helped....

In most chain shops, you walk in the door and if you're lucky someone will say "can I help you?" At my shop, you walk in the door and it's "Hey Bob, where'd you go diving yesterday?" I don't have to tell 'em what mix I want in my tanks ... they already know. I don't have to worry about whether or not the person filling my tanks or servicing my regs knows what he's doing ... I know that he does. If I want an item they don't carry, they might help me find it ... or at a minimum they won't fuss if I choose to buy it someplace else. Most recently when I purchased a new drysuit from someone else, the two owners asked if I could bring it in so they could take a look at it. Service always comes with a smile, and if I come in with a special request, or am in a hurry for something, I can count on them to drop what they're doing and take care of me.

I've got one of those too.

Last time I checked, none of the internet stores had invited me to go diving in some cool new spot, given me a computer to use while mine was out for service, or had a cookout after a couple of evening dives.

Terry

The only thing that kills me, (and since they can't carry everything, not their fault) is the limited selection at an LDS, but Only when they say "oh, we don't have that, but we can order it for you, and have it next week"

If I wanted to order it, I would have had it shipped Fed-Ex overnite right to my house.

If you don't have it, fine. But don't expect me to wait for it, and THEN pay the "slightly higher LDS" price...

I like dealing with our locally owned and operated dive shop, even if it costs me a bit more money. They take very good care of us as customers, and have regular dive trips to fit almost any budget.

That said, you have to make your own decisions regarding where you spend your money. Some people aren't forunate enough to have a good dive shop local to them, or they have such a tight budget that they have to save any way they can.

One thing to be careful of, though, is manufacturer warranties. Some manufacturers will not warranty any item sold by a large online outfit like Leisurepro. While we could debate the business ethics of such a practice, our opinions of it are not likely to change anything. For some small item, that might not be a big deal, but when I registered the warranties on our new BCD's a couple of months ago, I noticed the website specifically said Leisurepro was not an approved vendor of their products, and they would only warranty products bought from approved dealers.

I don't anticipate any problems with the BCD's, but I'd really hate to have found some defect, only to find it wasn't covered because I'd saved a few bucks buying it from an online dealer instead of a local shop.

During class almost everyone is dressed in the same blue/black scuba pro 3/2 wetsut, its kind of annoying.

Dude! You guys must have antifreeze for blood or something if you're diving in 3/2 wetsuits in Alaska. I can definitely see why you want to take your OW in your own suit.

Surprisingly, I support the shops that support ScubaBoard! After all, they make our little play place possible! You can encourage your LDS to support us by advertising in our local area forums. It's way cheap, and it shows that they care about supporting YOUR community. [/gratuitousselfpromotion] :D

I consider the local dive shops invaluable. Biggest reason is service. I will only let Scuba Schools of Ft Worth work on my gear. I have tried lots of them locally and end up with broken gear at the resort and chasing down parts. That is the biggest reason I went with Aqua Lung on my new reg. I can be hard finding parts out of the country on other brands. The local dive shop also has trips that you can join and dive with other locals and get to know them if you dont have dive buddy of your own. I know SS does match prices or beats prices at SToys. All you have to do is open your mouth if you find a better deal and they will be happy to match it. Most dive shops will do that because they want you business and mom and pop places dont have time to shop Stoys prices.
I know for a fact SvubaFanatic it is not nice to go to an event with a dive shop and then talk to their customers about how they should go to another dive shop and buy their gear. That is just being rude when you do that. The shop takes the time to do an event and invite you and then you pull something so rude as that. Really makes me sorry I ever mentioned you to them.
Mom and pop shops depend on loyalty and want to give their customers opportunities that bring them back. They have a personal relationship with them unlike some places that you buy from that are far from home. I think the local dive shop would be very missed if you didnt have it...so support your local dive shop everyone! Who else would let you spend 3 hours on the bottom of a pool and write all over it with chalk!

I would pretty much duplicate Bob's post. My LDS will work with me on prices, and has done things like come in on a Sunday morning (when they are closed) to fill tanks for me for a special event. Saving $10 on a VIP (Even though we have something like 19 tanks now) isn't worth it to me to give up the advantages of a personal relationship with a good shop.

Heck, if this is the same shop you referred me to when I came to WA and dove with Bob, they were fantastic. My wife needed a hood and gloves and they tossed some in with her rental even though they don't normally rent it. A good dive shop is worth their weight in gold, tanks and all. :D

I gave my LDS the option. I found everything I wanted on leisure pro, regs, computers, and camera, then printed it out and took it to the lds. They didn't have the last years models, so they did what they could and came back at me with a couple hundred bucks higher than my printout, plus tax. I went with the lds, it was worth the money to me. I went home and price out the current models, my lds ended up beating leisure pros prices. And I was back in the good graces of my lds who will service my equipment under warranty. IMO they bent over backward to help, in turn I will do what I can to take further classes to help them out. Win, win I think.

Back
Top Bottom