Challenge in videos maybe someone has some ideas on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am shooting video with a Canon 5d mark II in an Aquatica housing. I am shooting with ambient light, because it was my contention ( right or wrong), that I could get much better long distance "structure shots" of the Palm Beach reef system, if the distance did not darken and become invisible due to the failure of a lighting system to kick back lighting as far as the eye can see.
the "mission" here is to showcase the Palm Beach reef system...a reef system with some huge, spectacular structure.
I also have some plans on shooting some very deep wrecks and reefs, from 185 to 300 fet deep--again, ambient light will capture the structure and the enormity.

My problem, is that the camera constantly resets gain, particularly as the subject matter goes from a dark to a reflective light color. I end up with lots of scenes that have too much brightness. to a degree, I can fix this with NeoHD, but it is too time consuming, and impractical for every clip.

Are there any suggestions out there, on methods to prevent the 5D from constantly switching gain? I know that ideas like having the sun to your back are effective lighting strategies, but at 100 feet or deeper, the subject matter just shows up, and keeping a sense of where the sun is does not appear to be something that most shooters could do--though you guys could correct me here, if this is not true.

Here is a sample which shows the lighting issues I don't like. I "could" go to a big HID light canister with dual video heads...but would have to really know this would solve every thing.
YouTube - Juno Ledge and the Coridor wreck dives of Palm beach

Sounds like you are shooting in auto mode. Auto ISO or shutter or aperture or all of the above.

Have you tried manual mode ? Also looks like you might want to try manual white balance to get better colors.

Sounds like you are shooting in auto mode. Auto ISO or shutter or aperture or all of the above.

Have you tried manual mode ? Also looks like you might want to try manual white balance to get better colors.

This sounds right. I just tried this on mine and manual mode was the only mode that didn't bump iso up and down as the ambient light level changed. In case you haven't seen it yet I have noticed a few website have threads regarding the optimal other settings for this camera (eg noise reduction, picture style, etc) that should be considered along with custom white balance when shooting video.

Also curiious how you like the housing?

This sounds right. I just tried this on mine and manual mode was the only mode that didn't bump iso up and down as the ambient light level changed. In case you haven't seen it yet I have noticed a few website have threads regarding the optimal other settings for this camera (eg noise reduction, picture style, etc) that should be considered along with custom white balance when shooting video.

Also curiious how you like the housing?

Thanks guys, I will try the full manual. I am already shooting with manual focus.
I love the housing---it is low drag, and has everything I need in easy to get to position....My wife Sandra has the Sea and Sea housing for her 5D...it has "more" direct access to 100% of the 5d controls, but the ones I am missing, so far I have not seen any real need for ( like ease of flipping around through allthe internal menues with the wheels).

Thanks guys, I will try the full manual. I am already shooting with manual focus.
I love the housing---it is low drag, and has everything I need in easy to get to position....My wife Sandra has the Sea and Sea housing for her 5D...it has "more" direct access to 100% of the 5d controls, but the ones I am missing, so far I have not seen any real need for ( like ease of flipping around through allthe internal menues with the wheels).

"Functional custom white balance"..... when life is exploding all around you, in huge drift currents, and time is an issue..... Would you want a dive buddy with a good neutral gray on their body or tanks you could shoot for a moment prior to hitting your video objective? ( buddy should be close by, so this should not be hard to do..ie., should take 2 seconds)...Or should it be white scuba tanks rather than a grey ( or galvanized pseudo gray/silver) ?

Your sample video definitely needs some custom WB adjustment. Try setting custom white balance in the camera by shooting the sand.

Also, even in auto mode my Canon T2i has AE-lock which I believe would solve most of the problems you are having. The 5D is a much more sophisticated camera but you may want to check to see if it has AE-lock in auto mode video and see how that works out for you.

I shoot the same setup as you. You will definitely want to shoot in manual or AV (you can still lock your exposure in this mode) and white balance. If you have any other questions let me know.

I shoot the same setup as you. You will definitely want to shoot in manual or AV (you can still lock your exposure in this mode) and white balance. If you have any other questions let me know.
I am going to start experimenting with this today.

I just read that I have to set iso also....is there a rule of thumb for handling an iso setting for 80 foot dives, 140 foot dives ( beginning to get darker) , 20 foot dives with lots of sun?

Some options to try:

Leave the shutter locked. If recording 24p, set shutter to 50, if 30p set shutter to 60.

Adjust aperture to 5.6 or greater to control exposure.

Increase ISO only if underexposed at 5.6, use ISO setings: 160,320,640,1250

Last edited:
Some options to try:

Leave the shutter locked. If recording 24p, set shutter to 50, if 30p set shutter to 60.

Adjust aperture to 5.6 or greater to control exposure.

Increase ISO only if underexposed at 5.6, use ISO setings: 160,320,640,125,0

Ron, what do you think a good starting value would be for an 80 to 90 foot deep reef, as in the sample GUE clip of my earlier post..Should I start with an iso of 800? 640?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom