Challenge in videos maybe someone has some ideas on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would try aperture 5.6, ISO 1250. Increase ISO or open aperture if it's too dark, decrease ISO if it's too bright.

Increasing ISO will add noise, opening the aperture will put more of the scene out of focus.

Last edited:
I would try aperture 5.6, ISO 1250. Increase ISO or open aperture if it's too dark, decrease ISO if it's too bright.

Increasing ISO will add noise, opening the aperture will put more of the scene out of focus.
Thanks
Dan

Some options to try:

Leave the shutter locked. If recording 24p, set shutter to 50, if 30p set shutter to 60.

Adjust aperture to 5.6 or greater to control exposure.

Increase ISO only if underexposed at 5.6, use ISO setings: 160,320,640,1250

Ron,

Out of sheer curiosity, assuming sufficient DOF even at the largest possible aperture, why is it preferable to control exposure with aperture and not shutter rate?

The reason for my curiosity is that a little trick I use to reduce noise with my T2i is to control my exposure with shutter rate and leave ISO on auto. That way my DOF is static and the camera always selects the lowest possible ISO. I keep an eye on my exposure meter and if I see that the auto-ISO gets too high, say over 1200 or so, I open up the aperture one or two f-stops and exchange a little DOF for less noise.

This presumes, of course, that you can select manual control over aperture and shutter speed but keep ISO on auto.

Last edited:
Ron,

Out of sheer curiosity, assuming sufficient DOF even at the largest possible aperture, why is it preferable to control exposure with aperture and not shutter rate?

Good question.

This has become an important topic as people want their footage to look less like a video camcorder and more like a cinema camera. Shallow depth of field and control of the aperture is a big part of it, but so is control of the shutter.

In general you want to keep shutter speed fixed so your footage has the same amount of motion blur. Think of it has visual rhythm or beat. If you change the shutter speed from scene to scene, the amount of motion blur will change and ruin the steady visual rhythm.

There is also a general rule for specific shutter speed settings to create natural looking motion blur. You want your shutter speed to be approximately double the recording frame rate. So if you record at 24p, shutter should be close to 48 (50 on the Canon) 30p, shutter should be 60.

Some knowingly break these rules to create a visual affect. Think Saving Private Ryan the beach scene. You can also break the rule if there is very little motion in the scene.

Below is a link showing the affects of shutter on motion blur. High shutter shows more detail, but is not how your eyes would see it live. Your eyes would see more motion blur.

Shutter Speed Test - "Tarantella" on Vimeo

Good question.

This has become an important topic as people want their footage to look less like a video camcorder and more like a cinema camera. Shallow depth of field and control of the aperture is a big part of it, but so is control of the shutter.

In general you want to keep shutter speed fixed so your footage has the same amount of motion blur. Think of it has visual rhythm or beat. If you change the shutter speed from scene to scene, the amount of motion blur will change and ruin the steady visual rhythm.

There is also a general rule for specific shutter speed settings to create natural looking motion blur. You want your shutter speed to be approximately double the recording frame rate. So if you record at 24p, shutter should be close to 48 (50 on the Canon) 30p, shutter should be 60.

Some knowingly break these rules to create a visual affect. Think Saving Private Ryan the beach scene. You can also break the rule if there is very little motion in the scene.

Below is a link showing the affects of shutter on motion blur. High shutter shows more detail, but is not how your eyes would see it live. Your eyes would see more motion blur.

Shutter Speed Test - "Tarantella" on Vimeo

Thank you Ron. Excellent information. Being a convert from still photography that is something I never even considered. I followed your link to the Tarantula video and to the related 180's of Filmmaking articles and I really learned something. Thank you again.

No problem. This is something I recently learned too when I bought a DSLR for video use. Keep in mind the shutter rule is most important when you have a lot of motion. You can break the rule without much harm if there is little motion.

For example, here is a very high quality video where they ignore the shutter rule. It's a wedding video shot with the Canon 7d. Yeah I know, a wedding video, but it's very worthwhile to watch to see the capabilities of the 7d and learn from their technique. Camera work, angles, editing, and production. Amazing that it was shot by 1 person with 2 Canon 7d's. This is talent.

[vimeo]6496808[/vimeo]

That's an impressive video although I can't say that I can tell just by looking at it that they ignored the shutter rule. But then again, there wasn't a whole lot of moving action.

Your aperture matters more then your shutter as you are wanting a lot of DOF. Your ISO will give you great video up to 1600 and a nice little plugin called NEAT video will clean up 3200 and some 6400 quite nicely. I wouldn't worry much about your shutter speed it doesn't get up very high underwater anyways (in Av mode)

You are right Travis. Generally UW you want a deep depth of field to keep as much of the scene in focus, resulting in a need for slower shutter speeds for proper exposure/light.

All this stuff was very foreign to me and I still have a lot to learn. Understanding shutter and aperture has helped me create better looking footage topside. Here is another very good video explaining shutter. Good info to know for topside shooting when you want to keep motion blur natural or if you want a detailed special effect.

[vimeo]19603537[/vimeo]

You are right Travis. Generally UW you want a deep depth of field to keep as much of the scene in focus, resulting in a need for slower shutter speeds for proper exposure/light.

All this stuff was very foreign to me and I still have a lot to learn. Understanding shutter and aperture has helped me create better looking footage topside. Here is another very good video explaining shutter. Good info to know for topside shooting when you want to keep motion blur natural or if you want a detailed special effect.

[vimeo]19603537[/vimeo]

Ron very good info. Would love for you to come out on a location shoot with us. I enjoy having other video enthusiasts around on set. 2 heads are usually better then one. I think you would have a great time. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom