Chamber Ride in The Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're still trying to get it sorted out - pulmonologist and cardiologist have cleared her, but we're waiting until we can get with LDS on some pool dives (13-17') and see. First dive plan is to just get in the water and play around for half a tank. After that full, maximum exercise rate that can be kept up for 10-15 minutes. In other words, she's going to fin flat out as hard as she can around the pool for a minimum of 10 minutes. If no problems, one more pool dive with the same parameters. If all works out again, then a shallow <40' shore dive in a safe environment out of the channel with a direct access to shallow water/surface. Two tanks of this. If all of this works out with NO issues, then we'll get back onto the boat dives. Around Pensacola/Panama City, pretty much everything is 60-70' and deeper, up to maximum rec limits. Before we head down and do deep dives again on a nitrox mix, just want to make sure. Also upgrading her reg first/second stage to a Mikron from her current base model Titan. She's a small woman, and really likes the "petiteness" of the Mikron.

If it was CO2, but she had no symptoms at depth other than her breathing was shallow and her breathing cycle was very short, and all of her tests, CT scans, x-rays, blood work, venous scans, etc. have come back 100% - any other thoughts from the dive docs?

As her husband for almost 23 years now, she's my soul mate - and I really couldn't live with myself if she got back in the water and something happened related to this incident. We both understand it's diving and risks are involved, and are willing to take those risks. But we train and practice to mitigate as many of those risks as we can. Not quite sure how to "train" for a scenario of this happening again, but this time at depth instead of on the surface, other than the rescue class which I'm starting 05/05 and a plan to get her to the surface controlled and not panicked - but how do you say you won't panic at 120', when you feel like you can't breathe (if it happens again)?

She's getting anxious to get back in now that the water is starting to warm up and it appears springtime is finally here, and her 6 week dry period after the ride is over May 2. We have a Flower Gardens trip planned for July and another trip back to the Keys in October, plus various weekends in Pensacola and PCB - but right now everything is kind of in limbo. I've already told her, unless I'm 100% on this, she's not getting back in. She wasn't happy with me, but understands.

Guess I'm just struggling with the decision to get her back in the water again. The wrong decision could have major consequences.

Im not an expert, so take this for what its worth....the thing that stands out the most from the posted video, is her breathing...its very shallow, and very fast.....I tried to "breath with her" while watching the video, and was still breathing in while she was done breathing out....now I realize that's not a very scientific approach, but you posted that you are aware of her breathing, and it does in fact seem very short and shallow.

Lizard Leg. Please give your wife my best wishes and hopes for years of wonder dives. I have no words of advice but I am a fellow Mikron user and absolutely love it. My partner has a AL Legend and says as far as he can tell they breathe exactly the same (a completely unscientific comparison of course!).

Thanks for the info on the Mikron - she got sold on it because of the size - she's a small woman and she really likes the size of the Mikron.

As to the video, yes, she 100% appears to be breathing short, fast and shallow. We've talked about it, we've talked to numerous experts (cave instructors, tech instructors, DAN, dive docs, etc.) and she's trying to find a yoga breathing DVD. The videos from the beginning of the week, she was breathing normal for her.

Could not agree more on the yoga. I do it myself. If you do an internet search there are several youtube videos. For a quick 20 minute routine, I like Sara Ivanhoe. I think she also has a youtube video available for one of her routines. Its not specific to breathing technique but i think learning the breathing along with movements will translate better to her diving. The breathing will become more natural for her than if she just practices it while sitting still and concentrating.

No issues whatsoever for a few weeks now. She did the gym this morning and pushed a little passed her normal cardio routine - no issues whatsoever. She blew the home spirometer before the gym and after, and actually blew higher afterwards, so looks like we're good to move on to the pool sessions. She doesn't know it yet, but the Mikron first/second stage is now on her rig in her reg case :D Guesss it'll be a surprise when we hit the pool sessions.

Good luck. I am surprised the boat did not insist on O2. The times I have been on a boat where somebody had any issues the crew put them on O2. But then the boat called dive 2 and we went in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom