Chambers And Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I *will* do my part to stop encouraging your posts on the topic! :)

I'm doing neither. Nor am I - or anyone I know in N FL - looking for your input on how to solve this problem.
But I *will* do my part to stop encouraging your posts on the topic! :)
"The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow."

"Those who lack the courage will always find the philosophy to justify it. . ."

Obviously you cannot run and sustain an independent hyperbaric chamber operation treating diving casualties only over there in Florida. But the need is there otherwise the only option left for immediate treatment is In-Water-Recompression (IWR).

The point of the Catalina Recompression Chamber model is that you're gonna need some combination of tax-supported county dept of health services, volunteers and annual monetary donations from the diving community to make this work. Again the cost of stand-by 24/7 operations for treating dive accidents only by using volunteers and an on-call hyperbaric physician is not as great as running a full service weekday Hyperbaric Clinic facility treating diabetic wound care, burns and other medical conditions, because DCI cases in comparison are rare, uncommon and sporadic.

The concept is similar to running a volunteer fire department -the call volume is not as great or frequent as a major metropolitan city or county, but the Emergency Service is still there on stand-by ready to respond.

Two reasons why divers are not treated in chambers, Time getting a diver in for treatment and Lawyers. I'll just leave it at that.

Two reasons why divers are not treated in chambers, Time getting a diver in for treatment and Lawyers. I'll just leave it at that.
Those are lame disingenuous excuses & inhumane reasons to not provide a Recompression Chamber for a civilian emergency diving casualty in a locale where scuba is a major recreational and tourist activity.

Again, quoting from Florida statutes:
“Any person, including those licensed to practice medicine, who gratuitously and in good faith renders emergency care or treatment…shall not be held liable for any civil damages…where the person acts as an ordinary, reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances."

Last edited:
Those are lame disingenuous excuses & non-humane reasons to not provide a Recompression Chamber for a civilian emergency diving casualty in a locale where scuba is a major recreational and tourist activity.

Again, quoting from Florida statutes:
“Any person, including those licensed to practice medicine, who gratuitously and in good faith renders emergency care or treatment…shall not be held liable for any civil damages…where the person acts as an ordinary, reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances."

Any Lawyer could tear that statue apart in a second. I know several cases like that and hospitals that did treat and no longer do for the reason of being sued. I assume if the chamber services were free it might help but then again I guess if you try to help someone you are still responsible for your actions. Just like a diver is when he is in the water on a charter boat.

Any Lawyer could tear that statue apart in a second. I know several cases like that and hospitals that did treat and no longer do for the reason of being sued. I assume if the chamber services were free it might help but then again I guess if you try to help someone you are still responsible for your actions. Just like a diver is when he is in the water on a charter boat.
If there is a question of medical malpractice, then of course any physician or medical clinic can be sued -whether a case has merit or not is a whole other issue. The point is fear of litigation should not be a valid reason in not having a dive casualty only Recompression Chamber on 24/7 stand-by in a popular location with as many advanced & technical divers taking up Cave Diving.

The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber has been working here in SoCal since 1974; there's a wealth of experience in that model that can apply to setting up a similar operation in North Florida Cave Country, an obvious & critical emergency service to provide immediately as needed. . .

Otherwise you will continue to have serious delayed treatment cases like this:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom