Changing out ATOMIC B2 hose for shorter one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aznlmpulse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ever notice that the atomic B2 has their primary 2nd stage hose connected to the top port of the first stage? (you can kinda see how it loops out behind me on my avatar)

Well, I went ahead and moved the thing to one of the side ports, and now the hose seems WAY too long. Has anyone ever changed out the atomics hose for a shorter one? Do I have to worry about finding a hose that's rated for the same pressure? I guess I don't really need to, but I'd hate to have the hose get caught on something and have the reg pulled out of my mouth one of these days.

aznlmpulse:
Ever notice that the atomic B2 has their primary 2nd stage hose connected to the top port of the first stage? (you can kinda see how it loops out behind me on my avatar)

Well, I went ahead and moved the thing to one of the side ports, and now the hose seems WAY too long. Has anyone ever changed out the atomics hose for a shorter one? Do I have to worry about finding a hose that's rated for the same pressure? I guess I don't really need to, but I'd hate to have the hose get caught on something and have the reg pulled out of my mouth one of these days.

I think you mean the bottom port.... It's actually intended to streamline hose routing.

In any case, the pressure is not the issue. Any standard LP hose will be fine. If you got the swivel, then you need to get another whole hose / swivel assembly from atomic - not cheap. I think I paid about $90 for my 7 footer which was a bargain.

i love my atomic, but i havent changed it out but i do hafta get it serviced, which reminds

I talked to my LDS about different size hoses for the B2 and it got expensive fast. Personally, I like the added length and swivel of the B2 since I use the SS1 in conjunction. Makes OOA drills much easier than with my old reg.

For those of you looking to get an atomic reg and think the lenght of the hose is an issue, you can always order the hose custom made from the factory when you place the order with your LDS.

12" bail out bottle hose?
7' hose?

hmm..maybe I had the 1st stage upside down all this time...hahaha...I feel dumb now...
so the plastic cap on the 1st stage should be facing up?

I had everything put together by my lds when I didn't know anything, and even he had it configured weirdly...hoses facing out behind me, half the connections he made ended up being only hand tight....my spg was leaking badly and o-rings needed lubrication...learn as you go I guess. :p

I actually looked on the atomicaquatics web site, and I didn't see any custom length hose option.....

Your distributor will put in a special order. Atomic does not sell directly to consumers.

If you're planning to change hose sizes anyway, you may also look into going with a long hose instead and changing philosophy to donate your primary reg in an OOA situation. Cost will be the same, and you'll be adopting a well proven configuration with many advantages (if not familiar with these, search for long hose threads).

I thought about it...I like the DIR philosophy, but the long hose thing doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe when I have a few more dives under my belt I'll see the light. :p

You'll never need a 7' hose unless you are cave or wreck diving. The drones just drone on...

There's a fine line in hose length preference, and an inch or two in length can make the difference. Atomic does offer hose length choice at the time of ordering. But, your LDS recognising that you are their best customer, should be able to get a factory hose (thus not negating the warranty) for you. Haggle a little, or make the hose purchase a part of some other equipment package that you are considering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom