Changing out my yoke for din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
Is this something I can do or should it really go to the shop?

It's not a difficult disassembly/assembly process, but after it's together the directions say to plug all ports except for 1 LP port which your supposed to have a pressure gauge and a relief. Your then supposed to adjust the pressure to 142psi - 148psi by means of the allen screw. I don't have this pressure gauge with the reliever and am wondering if there's a work around or just let the shop do it.
Thanks

The question you have to ask yourself is: "am I a certified technician of regulators" and "am I willing to save $15 to risk my life if not done right".....granted it's not a hard thing to do, but is it worth it?

While you are at the shop getting the DIN adapter fitted, ask them to overhaul the reg as well, I am sure the yearly check-up is up soon.

I changed out my Scubapro Mk25 yoke with a universal DIN adapter (also Scubapro) myself in my own home, and didn't adjust anything. I am confident of my mechanical abilities and it wasn't rocket surgery. No, I'm not a certified regulator technician. I don't know what kind of reg you have, so YMMV. If you're uncomfortable with the procedure, then by all means take it to someone you feel is qualified to do the work.

francousteau:
Yeah, me too and you were right, it wasn't.
So, just out of curiosity, where was it that you were reading about having to check the IP after putting on the DIN fitting? I suspect you were looking at instructions for annual service.

At least, I hope so... I've just installed a DIN fitting myself on one of our regs, after having it done to our three others. I'm sure no one checked the IP afterwards.

--Marek

Marek K,

I think it is just recommendation like when you change an engine oil, check the washer fluid and mission oil, etc...... I also changed from Yoke to DIN without any rocket science skill. Yes, I agree it is only $15 for a life support equipment. But, I don't think LDS can be better on this matter.

I regularlly switch my Conshelfs between Yoke and DIN, depending on where I'm diving and what tanks I use. It dosn't require any adjustment because you don't actually open the reg. The one time I asked my LDS about it they said they would do it for me, but I didn't need them to .

hoosier:
Marek K,

I think it is just recommendation like when you change an engine oil, check the washer fluid and mission oil, etc...... I also changed from Yoke to DIN without any rocket science skill. Yes, I agree it is only $15 for a life support equipment. But, I don't think LDS can be better on this matter.

If you have the right tools-the right parts-and the mechanical aptitude, do it yourself. This "certified technician" stuff drives me crazy!

jamiep3:
I regularlly switch my Conshelfs between Yoke and DIN, depending on where I'm diving and what tanks I use. It dosn't require any adjustment because you don't actually open the reg. The one time I asked my LDS about it they said they would do it for me, but I didn't need them to .
That is correct, You need to adjust the IP when ever you open the first stage to clean and service it, but if you yoke/din fitting is a bolt on peice then you don't have to set the IP. That being said I have it serviced by a certified tech once a year or every 6 months if used heavlly.

jamiep3:

Conshelf's are great for that.

Back
Top Bottom