Chaos Collection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Recently, I needed to provide a publication with some high rez images and I was plunged deep into "file hell". Rather humiliating actually.

A friend recently suggested a nifty system for Burning the RAW, and filing, And then having a high rez, and a web rez in your computer. I would like to hear any suggestions you have about naming files, dangers of overwriting files, how this occurs, and any systems you have developed. Also, I suppose I should get an external hard drive before I crash my little self someday soon.

Please share your wisdom!

Catherine: This is my workflow if it helps. I shoot in camera RAW and upload the images from my camera to the computer. On my 20D this produces CR2 files. I then go through the shoot and toss out any obvious losers or OOF pics. I do not work on the CR2s, only toss the bad ones. Then I load the Adobe DNG converter and convert the CR2s to DNGs. My system is number the pics from 001 to ### as the first part of the filename and then use an ID such as “BocaLedges” to identify the shoot. After I convert to DNGs I load them into the raw converter (ACR) and do my basic crop and color correction. My standard crop on all images is 8x12 custom crop in ACR. Unless I need to work an image in Photoshop, I can now save Jpegs directly from the ACR. If I am going to post then I will save at 72ppi. For a Costco print run I save at 150ppi. If I need fine Jpegs I will save at 300ppi. After I have done the preliminary work on the DNGs I will burn an archive disk with the CR2s and the DNGs. Then I will pitch the CR2s to save disk space. I usually burn a second disk with the DNGs and any work I have done on them. If I bring an image into Photoshop, I will save the work as a PSD file. My main file for a shoot is under the “My Pictures” folder. When I am through with a shoot, I will generally dump everything except the DNGs and PSDs from the project folder and then move the project folder to a subfolder in My Pictures which I call PHOTO ARCHIVES. I frequently back up the My Pictures folder to a swapable outboard disk drive and the backup drive and archive DVD or CD disks are kept in a secure location. I know this answer is more than your question asked, but I am curious how other members handle their work flow. Folks like Fdog, Mike, and Gilligan (and other members) have been doing this for quite a while and I am curious as to what workflow they have settled into.

—Bob

Back
Top Bottom