Charging extra for VIP??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not referring to the industry vis. It's referring to a visual inspection done by the Hydro technician as we would call them, or the "restester" as they call them.

I know. That's why I wrote: "VIP is a legal requirement... mandated by DOT in the United States, as part of the hydrostatic testing procedure". I didn't say anything about the dive industry VIP. I was specifically responding to the poster that said a hydro shop would only do a VIP-lite (at best). That's false. The retester must meet the CGA requirements.

Again... it doesn't say "VIP"... it says a visual inspection. Moreover, unless you're registered with the DOT to do that specific inspection, then you're charging for something someone else did. It's my opinion that using that citation to justify an additional VIP is deceptive. I'm glad I do my own VIPs and am glad to train others to do VIPs under TDI standards.

Again... it doesn't say "VIP"... it says a visual inspection. Moreover, unless you're registered with the DOT to do that specific inspection, then you're charging for something someone else did. It's my opinion that using that citation to justify an additional VIP is deceptive. I'm glad I do my own VIPs and am glad to train others to do VIPs under TDI standards.

You realize we're in total agreement, right? My entire point is that the second shop VIP is unnecessary since it's Federally-mandated for the hydro tester. I give up.

There is an excellent thread on SB (I can't find it now) which discussed Steel versus Aluminum tanks as to their safety. In above thread there was mention that steel tanks are damaged when heated. I don't believe the statement is accurate.

You realize we're in total agreement, right?
OK... I got the idea that you thought these citations were supporting the need for a VIP in addition to the retester's visual inspection.

OK... I got the idea that you thought these citations were supporting the need for a VIP in addition to the retester's visual inspection.

No! Just the opposite. I only first responded to the guy who claimed the hydro tester wouldn't do a visual inspection or at best a VIP-lite. As the regulations I cited clearly show, a visual inspection is mandated by DOT in the US (that adheres to CGA requirements). Pretty sure you and I are in full agreement.

How thorough is the hydro testers "visual inspection", what does it encompass, and how does it compare to a proper scuba VIP?

FTR, I always inspect my tanks when they come back from hydro, actually before I send them off too. I've seen enough cylinders come back filthy (steel and aluminum) and my steel tanks always need a tumble afterwards to remove rust to make me not trust a hydro monkeys visual check. I'm a certified visual inspector so no fees, just my time.

No! Just the opposite. I only first responded to the guy who claimed the hydro tester wouldn't do a visual inspection or at best a VIP-lite. As the regulations I cited clearly show, a visual inspection is mandated by DOT in the US (that adheres to CGA requirements). Pretty sure you and I are in full agreement.
Hahaha, I was so confused what you guys were arguing about.

Here in the mainland, "every" shop double-dips and charges everyone for a VIP of their own. Even though a hydro must start with a VIP. The universal dive shop excuse is "They don't know how to do a SCUBA VIP, they're not good enough."

To which I say, if the hydro guys don't know what they are doing, and they aren't competent enough to meet DOT standards...Well, why would I trust that same shop to do my hydro at all? Why does my SCUBA shop send a tank to such incompetent people?

The SCUBA shop is usually speechless at that one.

Yes, it is double-dipping. Yes, it is deceptive. And don't even ask, when they say "You can't get a + stamp on a hydro except when the tank is new." That's another lie, the DOT says you can recertify a + rating "forever" as long as the tank passes hydro at the + rating.

visually inspected, internally and externally, in accordance with CGA Pamphlets C–6, C–6.1, C–6.2, or C–6.3, as applicable.

those standards are the VIP standards and proceedures. That is why a vip sticker is not required if with in 1 yr of hydro.

Also somewhere the vip is good for one year MAX for tanks that have 2 or less fills a week in short VIP every 100 fills not to exceed 1 yr between VIPs.

Other factors are the hydro shop is to inspect the relief device if a valve is presented with the tank.
The vip preoocess requires the tank and valve has been inspected IAW xxxxxxxx . That quite often leaves the final VIP portion to be completed by the shop. I don't know how many cavers will turn their valves over to a legit hydro shop and have them remove the double disks. And the hydro is 15$. You know a lot is not done by a hydro shop. Then comes nitrox tanks and their issues. Hydro'ers will almost never be the last to vip the tank. As they only vip to a standard reqired to conduct the recertification of the vessel.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom