Charter boat questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Biscuit

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter and I just got certified, and we're planning to dive a few days in the FL Keys around Thanksgiving. Despite paying real close attention in class and passing all the skills w/o trouble, we still feel completely new to this game, and are looking for advice on what to look for in a charter. We'd welcome any general or specific recommendations that might supplement the advice we got from the LDS.

I've got a book listing sites in the Keys, and it looks like there are many Key Largo "novice" sites (20-45 ft). It appears that most charters take reservations, but I take it that specific dive sites are often chosen at the last minute by the captain depending on weather, currents, vis, availability, etc. What are the odds we'll end up sitting on the boat or staying behind at the dock rather than risk a dive at a more advanced site than we're prepared for?

Do all the boats carry O2 on board in case of an emergency? Should I be asking the charters about this?

How important is size of the boat/group? Is smaller better - less crowding? Or are larger boats better equipped and more comfortable despite the larger groups? What's typical?

We've got some of our own equipment - exposure suits, watches, weight belts, masks, snorkels, boots, and fins. We'll be renting tanks, bcs and regulators/gauges. After reading some of the stories here, I figure we should set these up and check them out to be sure they're working before getting on the boat. Is that practical?

We know to listen to what the captain and DM have to say, to watch what the more experienced divers are doing, and to ask for help if we're unclear about anything. Any other advice or etiquette tips to help us avoid looking like total tyros out there? For example, not that we'd plan on touching anything anyway, but are gloves a real no-no? And speaking of tips, is it customary to tip the captain or DM at the end of the trip?

And how are the Keys in late November, anyway? Gotta be better than the 5' vis and 70 deg water from our check-out dives in a Virginia quarry, right?

DIVE SITES: It's unlikely you will end up sitting out any dives. Key Largo sites (with very few exceptions) are either 100'+ wrecks or shallow reefs. The runs to the wrecks are scheduled ahead of time on most boats and it is unlikely that you will have the sudden surprise of being taken to a deep wreck (there are always exceptions.... a boat I was on last week simultaneously had both snorklers and an AOW deep dive class in the water.)

DMs: Paradise Charters, unlike most boats, puts a dive guide or DM into the water. Since these will be your first post-cert dives, going with a DM for the first few dives is a good idea. This lets you concentrate on your new skills while the DM does the navigating. On most boats the DM, if any, is a surface safety person that stays on the boat except in an emergency.

BUDDIES: You may randomly be buddied up with a single diver on the boat, or you may dive by yourselves. If you find a willing diver, I recommend buddying up for the first few dives. While some divers are concerned about the safety aspect of diving with new divers, or are concerned about a possible shortening of their dive; others (like me) are delighted to share their love of the sport with others and like to help others get off to a good start.

BOAT SIZE: bigger boats are more stable --- important if you are prone to seasickness. The most stable boats are the catamarans like Amy Slate's Amoray divers (also Strike Zone and Looe Key Dive Resort further down the keys).
Fl Keys boats tend to come in 3 categories: 24+ passenger cattle boats, 12/14 passenger "double 6 packs", and 6 passenger boats. Things like O2 are pretty much automatic on the 24+ and 14 passenger boats. 6 packs are not inspected and operatate with less regulation. My favorite size is the 14 passenger level --- generally a comfortable ride with shade and spray protection, but not as crowded or zoo-like atmosphere of the 24+ passenger cattle boats. The 6 pack level gives you more flexibility and control on dive site selection, etc, but at the cost of a rougher wetter ride, lack of head, etc. Your mileage WILL vary with your personal preferences.

CHECKING RENTAL GEAR OPERATION: A lot of boats will ask you to set up and check your gear before departure. It's a good idea for you to check everything beore leaving the dock. A good dive operator is delighted to have customers rigorously inspect their gear. They don't always notice things like the bite tabs on a mouthpiece being nearly chewed off, and rely upon customers telling them about problems with the gear.

BOAT ETIQUETTE: common sense and courtesy go a long ways. As you said, listen to the briefing. Don't be afraid to look like newbies. Ask rather than guess. Be upfront with the crew and your buddy, if any, about your experience level.

BUNGY, BUNGY, BUNGY --- unless you are actively holding a tank, make sure it is bungied in. Falling tanks hurt people and destroy gear.

WEIGHTING: getting your weight right makes diving much easier. Most new divers have to overweight significantly because of two common problems 1) they suck in a huge breath of air when trying to descend. Exhale forcefully and fully to help yourself go down. 2) The are moving the fins while vertical. The slightest movement propels you back up. Cross your ankles if necessary to stop those fin movements.

There is always another day, another dive. Dive within your comfort levels.

ENJOY!

I can't add much since I am newbie myself...but have been asking a bunch of questions too and here's the only question of yours I think I can add too...

Our instructors told us that a tip to the DM of $20 per person is a good going rate. However it is still based on service and according to them (we/they dive in the S. Florida are and I'm not sure if the rate changes from area to area) tip what you can and what they deserve. DM's do not get paid except for the tips so keep that in mind too.

Hope it helps,
Laurel
Feeling Froggy
:froggy:

Charlie99 once bubbled...
CHECKING RENTAL GEAR OPERATION: A lot of boats will ask you to set up and check your gear before departure. It's a good idea for you to check everything beore leaving the dock. A good dive operator is delighted to have customers rigorously inspect their gear. They don't always notice things like the bite tabs on a mouthpiece being nearly chewed off, and rely upon customers telling them about problems with the gear.

I spent a couple months renting equipment while I learned what kind of equipment I wanted to purchase and saved some money.

Regardless of who you rent from, I would recommend setting everything up and testing it before you leave the store that you are renting from. I've gotten to dive sites and had inflator hoses that would not connect to BC's, leaky HP hoses, and regulators that took a little bit of work to breath on.

I finally started putting everything together in the shop as soon as they handed it to me. BC on the tank, reg on the tank, infaltor hose connected, everything cliped off just like I could put it on and dive.

In addition there are a couple extra checks that I have found to be useful when evaluating rental (or used) gear.

1) Connect the 1st stage to the tank but do not turn on the air. Inhale on all second stages. They should hold a vacuum. If they don't, let the store know and insist on a different reg.

2) Turn on the air. Run each hose past your ear, being extra careful to listen to to where the hoses connect to the 1st stage, 2nd stages, and console. I have been given rental gear with leaks in the connection of the SPG to the HP line.

3) Purge the 2nd (who knows what kind of muck the last guy draged the mouthpiece through) stages then take a breath or two off each stage (just like you should have been taught in your OW course).

4) Use the power inflator to inflate, deflate, then inflate the BC a little bit. I have heard stories of infaltors getting stuck on and shooting people to the surface.

When I first started renting I wanted to trust that the equipment I was renting was properly cared for and would work. The store may maintain everything correctly but they have little control of what people do with the equipment while it is rented out. When using rental or other people's gear it pays to triple check things.

Sea Biscuit once bubbled...
It appears that most charters take reservations, but I take it that specific dive sites are often chosen at the last minute by the captain depending on weather, currents, vis, availability, etc. What are the odds we'll end up sitting on the boat or staying behind at the dock rather than risk a dive at a more advanced site than we're prepared for?

Do all the boats carry O2 on board in case of an emergency? Should I be asking the charters about this?

How important is size of the boat/group? Is smaller better - less crowding? Or are larger boats better equipped and more comfortable despite the larger groups? What's typical?

We've got some of our own equipment - exposure suits, watches, weight belts, masks, snorkels, boots, and fins. We'll be renting tanks, bcs and regulators/gauges. After reading some of the stories here, I figure we should set these up and check them out to be sure they're working before getting on the boat. Is that practical?

We know to listen to what the captain and DM have to say, to watch what the more experienced divers are doing, and to ask for help if we're unclear about anything. Any other advice or etiquette tips to help us avoid looking like total tyros out there? For example, not that we'd plan on touching anything anyway, but are gloves a real no-no? And speaking of tips, is it customary to tip the captain or DM at the end of the trip?

And how are the Keys in late November, anyway? Gotta be better than the 5' vis and 70 deg water from our check-out dives in a Virginia quarry, right?

Charlie and the others have given some great answers, but let me add just a bit...

(1) When you call or email to book, go ahead and tell them you two are newly certified, and want to do shallow water reefs, and not get on the more advanced divers boat. Exact destinations may be decided later, but boats are generally booked one way or the other.

(2) I always took my own gear or gear I'd rented from my instructor, but you can probably obtain needed BCs and such from the Charter operator. The tanks and weights are usually on the boat, so you wouldn't set up on dock. Do set up on boarding, though, so problems can be discovered
at dock.

Midsize and Larger boats are well regulated in the U.S., and even smaller operators have plenty of U.S. regs to follow and their names to protect. Still - get in the habit of asking: Does you boat carry (a) a DAN oxygen kit, (b) a two way marine radio, and (c) dang - what wsa that third thing? :dunce:

(3) If either of you is at all nervous, ask how much hiring your own personal dive guide for two dives would cost? Really a good idea if you are brand new.

(4) Tipping for good service is how we encourage good service. I usually drop $5 or more per dive in the tip jar. More to a persoanl DM, or to someone who has been especially helpful.

(5) Conditions in November can be iffy. Still hurican season, although not likely that far north in November. Certainly better viz, but water will probably be in 70s.

You'll have a blast :party:

:cheers: DON

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...
<some other good tips snipped> 2) Turn on the air. Run each hose past your ear, being extra careful to listen to to where the hoses connect to the 1st stage, 2nd stages, and console.
Another easy way to check for leaks throughout the system is to simply turn off the tank valve, then come back and read the SPG after a couple minutes.

My daughter and I will be buddies. We were both pretty comfortable under water during the checkout dives, but obviously it's a little different w/o an instructor 2' away in case of difficulty. Will look into a guided trip for our first dives. Good advice on checking out the gear and everything else. We're both really excited, and can't wait to get in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom