Charters not accepting certain agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[...] laws, rules, and regulations [...] fine [...] punished [...] legal defense [...] the rules [...] held liable. [...] waivers
Dang, I'm happy I live in a less litigious society than the US.

Except that I have no idea why you're mentioning the Swedish coast guard, to my (rather incompetent) mind, the stuff you're listing is pretty much covered in the short list I was giving. Or vice versa...
ScubaBoard is a multi-national forum appealing to divers the world over. In fact, you may not be in the United States yourself, so while a number of countries may have Coast Guards, they probably all have different rules. I feel it's important that if I'm quoting coast guard rules, that I specify which ones employ these rules. The US Coast Guard feels that dive boat operators should not be just Taxi Drivers. Other countries, and Sweden is an example, may have different feelings, or perhaps no thoughts on the subject.

I have been subject to the rules of many coast guards, and I've not seen any other countries provide rules or guidelines for their charter boat dive operators. Sweden may or may not be such a country. I just don't know, but I know what the US rules are.

Perhaps in Sweden the Swedes prefer their dive boat captains to be merely a taxi driver. Perhaps you are in such a place yourself, where dive boat captains are merely taxi drivers. If that is the case, good on ya. Seems like you are in the place you prefer.

In the USA, we prefer and require our dive boat charter captains to have a more highly developed sense of professionalism. YMMV.

world recreational scuba training council has SDI on the list of agencies that participate in maintaining the agreed upon minimal standards...

United States Council - WRSTC

Perhaps in Sweden the Swedes prefer their dive boat captains to be merely a taxi driver. Perhaps you are in such a place yourself, where dive boat captains are merely taxi drivers. If that is the case, good on ya. Seems like you are in the place you prefer.
I forgot "safely". I leave it to the captain to determine what that entails. Because I like to believe that the captain is competent.

And yes, although (or maybe because) I'm not in Sweden I am in the place I prefer. If i kill myself through stupidity (EDIT: or incompetence), it's on me, not the boat captain.

Last edited:
I forgot "safely". I leave it to the captain to determine what that entails. Because I like to believe that the captain is competent.

And yes, although (or maybe because) I'm not in Sweden I am in the place I prefer. If i kill myself through stupidity, it's on me, not the boat captain.
I'd like to introduce you to some US captains. They leave folks behind, run them over, fail to rescue them, a whole host of things. What this means is, instead of providing QA on the front side, that is, making sure Captains are properly trained before they take the helm, they have to write rules on the back side, to force compliance with what should be common sense.

Sound like the tone of the whole conversation about "It's not the agency, it's the instructor" from page 1?

I'd like to introduce you to some US captains. They leave folks behind, run them over, fail to rescue them, a whole host of things.
Sounds like captains I'd like to avoid.

Get me - safely - to the site, brief me about the site, don't run me over, provide assistance if I'm in a bind, make sure I'm on the boat when you turn ashore (or else, call 911/112 or send out a pan-pan) and otherwise be a nice guy, and I'll eagerly patronize your business. I don't ask for more, and seriously, I don't think that's too much to ask for.

EDIT: Dang, most of the stuff I'm asking for is firmly in the "goes without saying" category...

Sounds like captains I'd like to avoid.

Get me - safely - to the site, brief me about the site, don't run me over, provide assistance if I'm in a bind, make sure I'm on the boat when you turn ashore (or else, call 911/112 or send out a pan-pan) and otherwise be a nice guy, and I'll eagerly patronize your business. I don't ask for more, and seriously, I don't think that's too much to ask for.

EDIT: Dang, most of the stuff I'm asking for is firmly in the "goes without saying" category...
In the US we have to codify that. But what you're describing goes beyond taxi driver status. IMO. A taxi driver picks you up, may or may not ask where you are going, and takes you there, or someplace else. You want conversation, nice, a list of taxi rules, a safe trip, and a hand when you need one, you need Uber. Not a taxi.

So they don't accept PADI either. Well, alrighty then. :rofl3:

I almost sent them an email asking this exact question. I'd be curious how they respond.

But... let's give them a break. By the looks of their web page, it is 10-15 years old. Betcha someone had a strong opinion about something a while ago, and the web site hasn't been updated since. A newbie with wordpress could create a more modern and attractive site in a few minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom