Cheap and pretty diving locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The deepest marked attraction is the 6x6 military truck which sits in about 85-87ft. To find the "deep hole": from the 6x6 continue on a SW heading along the wall of the bowl the truck sits in. When you see a round rockoutcropping ascend the "wall"/ridge and then down on the other side into the hole.

It can be very silty down there and easy to stir up stuff. Last Sunday we came in after another group of divers and it was so cloudy down there I couldn't even read the gauge on my arm. So best to get there early in the day.

Hi all...! Very recently became certified OW, and am finishing up my advanced Open Water on October 4! Already love the sport (and will probably be dragging my husband into it soon.) I'm from the Bronx, NY...and have therefore been diving in Long Island. It's green, and murky and limited in wildlife. What I'd like to do, once I get my AOW is experience the pretty side of diving...with a focus on colors, and lots of critters (the bigger the better, and dolphins would be a really nice plus.)

Thing is, we're on a tight budget. Would love to do something like Bonaire, but really need something cheaper, yet satisfying. So far, I'm reading that maybe Puerto Rico, the Keys or Cozumel would be good options.

Would really love anyone else's opinions on the best places to go, given the funds available...(Both for the actual diving and non-scuba enjoyments in between dives.)

Thanks!

Puerto Rico/Keys/Coz can cost as much and more than Bonaire.In Bonaire you will definitely get many mores dives for the buck.At Bonaire you can dive 3-4-5 times a day and it will cost you as much or less than doing the standard 2 dives a day at the other locations. I have been to all those places and Bonaire has it beat,by both the quality of the dives and the amount of diving you can do, by miles..I go to the island with groups that I sponsor every year..If you are having your husband take a class ,and want to do it at a location near to you (Yonkers-Central Ave) that has its own on site indoor heated pool (no having to get gear and yourself from the classroom at the LDS and then drive to a pool),and plenty of parking space..PM me. No problems with other groups renting a pool,I have pool access 24/hrs a day 7 days a week!
We also allow our students who get their gear through us use the pool at NO CHARGE after they are certified to test their gear out or want to tune themselves up before a trip.Contact me if you wish to have him do the course at the LDS schedule or at HIS own private schedule. If he opts to do course with me you can participate in the classroom and pool at no charge .Training dives can be conducted at Dutch Springs,or if done on his private schedule,on a boat in LI Sound.

A great place to dive in the Keys is Looe Key. Shallow, warm water and lots of marine life.
Don't miss the Key deer park.

Hi all...! Very recently became certified OW, and am finishing up my advanced Open Water on October 4! Already love the sport (and will probably be dragging my husband into it soon.) I'm from the Bronx, NY...and have therefore been diving in Long Island. It's green, and murky and limited in wildlife. What I'd like to do, once I get my AOW is experience the pretty side of diving...with a focus on colors, and lots of critters (the bigger the better, and dolphins would be a really nice plus.)

Thing is, we're on a tight budget. Would love to do something like Bonaire, but really need something cheaper, yet satisfying. So far, I'm reading that maybe Puerto Rico, the Keys or Cozumel would be good options.

Would really love anyone else's opinions on the best places to go, given the funds available...(Both for the actual diving and non-scuba enjoyments in between dives.)

Thanks!

I live on Long Island and am leaving in 2 hr for the Keys. If you can go off season, it can be quite inexpensive flying Southwest out of Long Island Macarthur Airport into Fort Lauderdale. We've done it for $150 pp roundtrip a couple of times. Prices vary a lot. We rent a car in Fort Lauderdale (this varies from ~$120/5 days to $250/5 days, depending on the dates) and drive 90 mi to Key Largo, staying at one of the older "resorts." These tend to be rather quaint, but surrounded by trees and greenery. In the off season, they run well under $100/night. This trip, we are paying only $55/night for a room that we've stayed in multiple times before. By no means fancy, but that's not needed. (Note, this is a special price because the pool is out of service for repairs).

Diving is about $70/2 dive trip, but if you buy a 3 or 5 trip you can save 10% or more. As Robin said, diving in the Keys is a good way to get your feet wet, so to speak. The depth is only 25-40 ft for most of the reef dives and there is lots to see. You can usually have a great dive right in the vicinity of the dive boat while you become accustomed to being underwater on your own and learning how to keep yourself oriented to the return location. Basically, you are on your own, unless you elect to hire a DM.

No such thing as cheap diving! But seriously The Keys should be fairly cheap to get to and the diving is fantastic. Suites of Key Largo are $99 a night(for the room, not dbl occ like most places) and you can get 2 couples in there if you are friends. There is a bdr upstairs and a pull out couch downstairs with two full baths. Rainbow divers is a good outfit to dive with as is Ocean Adventures.
If your budget will allow fly to Miami or Ft Lauderdale and get on a cruise, they visit a number of Islands and you can dive while your there. I would also recommend St. Croix and ScubaWorld class scuba diving under the US flag on St Croix Virgin Islands where you can dive the largest living reef of any Caribbean island info on snorkeling hotels beaches watersports car rentals accommodations and scuba diving stay at Sandcastle and dive Fredriksted. Warm clear water and all the eye candy you can stand on the shallow reefs.
I just posted a group trip to Bonaire in the Group Travel forum. You are welcome to come along.

Since your question does not seem to be answered and I know how it is to want info and not be able to find it, my quick reply is Roatan is a no brainer, super cheap, easy dive option. Find a cheap flight from NY or Miami, the cheapest way is to sign up for Spiritair.com, join the $9 fare club for a trial 2 months when you see a great deal and match up this: La Guardia to Ft Laud, Ft Luad to San Pedro Sula. Then you will have to spend MANY hours in the airport waiting for the first flgith out, but get an AM flight on TACA to Roatan and then go to Sea Breeze to dive with Ray Lopez's Sueno del Mar. The boat rides are about 15 minutes to the reefs, there are three dives a day, his rates are as cheap as you will find in this hemisphere, and you will almost always see turtles and HUGE green moray eels on every dive. To see dolphins you will probably have to go to Anthony's Key Resort for a day and just look for free or pay to snorkel with them. If you want contact info for Ray, email me at escherandme2001@yahoo.com and I will give you more details.

Here is an even cheaper option: Do as I said with spirit and wait for a $9 far to Ft Lauderdale. Go to Matt at Underseas Sports on US1/ Federal Highway at 14th St. Tell him I recommended him. Rent gear for a few days and then drive a couple of miles north and east to Commercial Pier and dive at the reef there for FREE other than the cost of parking and your rentals. it will cost you approximately $10 per piece of gear and about $5 for each refill of air. You can't beat that. If you buy gear from him, he will help you pick what suits you and will not sell you stuff you don't need or want! Again, email me for details, I am an instructor in the area and I would be happy to lead you on a couple of shore dives in the area as well. You can also choose to do a few two-tank boat dives up and down the coast for ~$60 plus tanks for each two tank dive. Again, rent the tanks from Matt to save yourself money.

Feel free to write to me directly to get any more info. Cheap diving is also to be found in Thailand but it isn't cheap or easy to get there from NY. If you want to add me on facebook, you can see my dive photos form all over the world.

Good luck to you and enjoy the diving!

I would say the Keys are your best bet.

I have been to Bonaire, Curacao, Belize and Cozumel, I still have to say that Molasses reef off of Key Largo is still one of the prettiest dives I have been on.

Hi Pitchblack70,

If your airfares are anything like mine from Philly, Key Largo or Cozumel are probably your most best choices for a relatively inexpensive scuba getaway. There are numerous good hotels and scuba operators in both locations and much information can be found in the site specific travel threads.

Good luck, you'll have a great trip. I would suggest hooking your husband as soon as possible.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom