Cheap Chinese Canister Lights :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't trust Chinese batteries as most of the stuff they make is cheap cheap. Lol! Think drywall. .:)

I wouldn't trust Chinese batteries as most of the stuff they make is cheap cheap. Lol! Think drywall. .:)

Totally agree. Most of the Chinese batteries I've tested come nowhere near the rated capacity and I only started testing batteries before using them after I had one explode while charging.
I only buy my batteries from a trusted local source now and, although they cost three times the Chinese ones, they perform exactly as I expect them to.

Are you sure they don't originate from China? Buddy of mine bought local sourced batteries, at least he thought he did until het investigated :yeahbaby:

Btw my very expensive German made Aton canister light died after some 100 dives, my very cheap China made Brinyte canister light (1/5th of the price of the German light) still works perfectly after more than 150 dives. Not everything is better because it is expensive.

AJ:
Are you sure they don't originate from China? Buddy of mine bought local sourced batteries, at least he thought he did until het investigated :yeahbaby:

They may well be manufactured in China but the seller tests everything that comes into him and confirms the CE certification so I trust that he's selling what I think I'm buying and my personal testing has confirms this. My reference to problems with Chinese batteries was more in relation to batteries bundled with products like the light and those which are sold cheaply on eBay and the like via drop-shippers, hence the reason I said "most Chinese batteries".
I own the light referenced by the OP and it's excellent. Buddy's of mine have both Greenforce and Halcyon units costing many times the price and this light works equally as well for the purpose intended. If it does eventually flood or break I'll revert to one of my two back up lights, call the dive if necessary then order a new one.
An awful lot of products these days are manufactured in China and, if quality control is done right, they can be excellent.

I recently bought a Brinyte Div09 canister and several Div10 backup torches.

Not dove the canister yet, as I'm searching for 26650 batteries (it uses 3). On dry inspection, I'm pleased with it.

The backup torches use single 18650 cells and I've been impressed with them. I got more than 90 minutes burn (over 2 dives) on high power.... and they're very bright....comparable to my Big Blue that also uses an 18650 cell.

Dominick, you need to do a burn test on it so you know what it will really get, not "estimated". We will chat in detail on Saturday :).

FWIW, an incredible number of lights claim way more lumens than the LED makers themselves rate the specific LEDs are being able to provide. Makers normally rate them for a brightness which allows the LED to still provide 70% brightness after 50,000 hours of use. The flashlight makers play the old game of "overvolting" the bulbs, Same way that the old Ikelite lamps got 3 hours out of a tractor sealed beam which normally was rated 10x longer than that...but the Ikelite got an awful lot more brightness with it. With LEDs you don't overvolt them, you just give them excess current instead. Same same in the end, more light, more likely to burn out, since the LED makers do not recommend that use.

If there is a Grainger or McMaster or similar industrial supply house near the OP, take the new (undistorted) o-ring in to them and ask them about ordering spares. Odds are if it is from China it is a metric standard size and you can order new ones made from buna, silicone, or other materials. Just bear in mind you need a compatible lubricant, depending on what the o-ring material is.

Or you can print some circles on a home computer printer, set the diameter using a menu not eyeballing it, i.e. 48mm, 49mm, and lay the new o-ring on them until you find a good fit. Then you go on to measure the diameter, assuming it is an "o" profile, and you can always mail order them.

These are lights made by Brinyte. A good chinese factory. I love the DIV01 backuplights from them. Nice detail: they are sold here in the Europe rebranded by different brands. The difference is the price. You pay here 99 euro. If you order them yourself in China it is 28 to 50 euro (depending on daily price and if you have to pay importtaxes). I use these as backuplights and took them to Florida as mainlight for cavediving (the holter glove you buy in China for less than 10 dollar). 1000 lumen is bright enough. Burntime on rechargable C-cells is 7 hours. I have the DIV01V as videolight.
Crap ****? No, 1 of these lights has been 20 times over 100m (100-135m), and is still working. One of my A-brand lights was not flooded, but is not turning on anymore after just 1 100m dive.

The weak point of the cable lights of Brinyte is the cable. That breaks often I have seen here. But further it is a good light. Even that cable light is sold here under different brands, but then the price is 200-300 euro.

But remember: the output of an XML-U2 led is max 1050 lumen. Chinese factories tend to say 5000 lumen or more. Impossible. T6 leds are not 5000 lumen as well.

Buy the original Panasonic 18650 batteries with PCB. Not Trustfire or other Chinese crap. That is really crap.

I recently bought a Brinyte Div09 canister and several Div10 backup torches.

Not dove the canister yet, as I'm searching for 26650 batteries (it uses 3). On dry inspection, I'm pleased with it.

The backup torches use single 18650 cells and I've been impressed with them. I got more than 90 minutes burn (over 2 dives) on high power.... and they're very bright....comparable to my Big Blue that also uses an 18650 cell.

soshine 5500mah 26650s have been working pretty well for me

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom