Cheap Chinese Canister Lights :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plenty of cheating to go around. And the folks who make them and sell them, know damn well they are thieves.

And we are unfortunately unsuspecting suckers. In the realm of batteries and LED lights from China "let the buyer beware.....and be well informed" is important. Even if you get it from a state-side source like Amazon is no guarantee it's a good product. They now sell 3rd party crap all the time.

eagle-
"a few of the cheap 18650 batteries, Rated for 5,000mAh," You'll find some folks on the candlepower forum regularly do tests for capacity. And they regularly get the same results: 3300mA is about the most that anyone can actually get from an 18650 battery.

I have three sets of Panasonic 18650 cells. Two sets labeled at EEPPOWER, and One EVVA, which came with my DR LX20 light. Both versions are labeled at 3.7v and 3,400mAh. I have tested all 12 cells on my XSTAR Dragon and they all test out to within 1% of their rated 3,400mAh capacity.

Where did you get your info that says the Panasonics can only produce 3,300mAh?

I have three sets of Panasonic 18650 cells. Two sets labeled at EEPPOWER, and One EVVA, which came with my DR LX20 light. Both versions are labeled at 3.7v and 3,400mAh. I have tested all 12 cells on my XSTAR Dragon and they all test out to within 1% of their rated 3,400mAh capacity.
Where did you get your info that says the Panasonics can only produce 3,300mAh?

The Dragon appears to be a very good charger. But all chargers have their peculiarities. Maximum discharge for that appears to be 0.25 or 0.5A, which is pretty low, depending on the charge setting.The lower the discharge level, the higher capacity you will show. It discharges to 2.6v which can be different than what other analyzing chargers use (2.5-3.0v is a fairly average range). You will get a different result if you use charge capacity vs. discharge capacity, with discharge being more accurate than charge. All those variables (and some others) will change the capacity measurement somewhat.

My own testing of a Panasonic NCR18650B (3400mA) nets 3160mA @ 0.5A discharge on a Liitokala 500 analyzing charger, which tends to be a bit more accurate than my Opus.But both are within reason.
Here's probably the most accurate test you will get: Test of Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (Green).
HJK reports ~3300mA @ 0.2A draw, but only 3128 @ 2A draw which is close to what a lot of single LED dive lights draw.

Last edited:
If you use another driver to power up your led, the burntime goes down. I have one light from Brinyte to test with a 30 watt xpe70 led (I believe this was the name). It is a videolight. They said 2.5 hours burntime and 10 watt. I tested it, maximum 20 minutes burntime out of 2 18650 cells and it was using 30 watt. So that means they installed a wrong driver. Yes it is now producing 4400 lumen instead of the 1000. But the burntime is now ****. So using the wrong drivers will mean too short burntimes. 5-10 watt on a XM-L-U2 led (1050 lumen max) is normal. Then you have a bright light and a long burntime.

And yes, rebranding Chinese brands is normal.

I ordered a HH Chinese light that holds 6 18650 batteries and gets 6 hours on high output and 23 hours on low. Claims 10000 lumens but we all know that's not real. However on low it's more than bright enough and I've had no leaking as long as I keep the O-rings greased.

Do you have a link?

I just bought that light. Can't wait to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom