Cheap Eats schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Del Sur on the corner of agenda 5 and calle 3 makes some awesome empanadas. They have other stuff too, but "on the cheap" - the empanadas come as many as you like, between about 14 - 17 pesos each. I often bring a container and take dessert ones home.

Just stop at any of the little stores back in town.Great empanadas with different fillings,and tamalas can be found everyday.Just look for the busiest stores filled with locals.There is 1 I like to go to on 4th and 10th,different stuff everyday and usually sells out by noon.My favorite chicken place is the mesquite chicken place on 4th and 30th.
I am hearing good things about a new BBQ place way back in town around 85th and plan to find it next week when I am there.

Careful with the tamales from back in town. Figure out the words for "are there any chickens' feet in these?" :wink:

Mr. Taco - on Juarez (transversal road) and 55th across from the fire station - they open about 6pm.

THe shrimp taco place a few blocks past the Pemex on the transversal just past the Pemex - on the right - open for breakfast and lunch

Otates of course.

Nopales on 30th just south of Meridiano (Calle 7) on the east side of the street

Chilangos on 30th between Calle 3 and Calle 5 on the east side of the street - open at 6pm - awesome Huaraches for about 25 pesos each

HC Monterrey - on Ave 5 between Calle 9 and the cemetary - excellent grilled chicken and aracharra - open mid day until about 10pm

Any of the several rotisserie chicken places on 30th - 1 at the corner of 30th and Calle 4, one at the corner of 30th and Rosada Salas (across from Dominos) an one on 30th between Calle 3 and calle 5 - in a little strip shopping center with an aquarium store, convenience store, Lebanese place, money exchange - called Asadero de Polloo

Parilla Mission on 30th between Calle 2 and Calle 4

Burritos Gordos - one of my new favorites - Cclosed on Mondays, and close about 4 or 5 during the week! Excellent and HUGE Burritos with any fillings you want - $60 - $80 peoss - always 2 meals for me! On 65th at the corner of Calle 3 or 5 - on eht east side of the street

Just a few cheap eats to ponder :)

I do not get the Los Seras attraction - I think it's just because it's one of theose local places that tourists find out about and think it's cool. It is so filthy and I have gotten sick more times that I care to admit after eating there. There are SUCH better local taco spots - and ALL of them have El Pastor

Last edited:
I like chicken feet some of my favorite dim sum.

So YOU'RE the one! ha. I knew there was someone out there who liked them. :)

Del Sur on the corner of agenda 5 and calle 3 makes some awesome empanadas. They have other stuff too, but "on the cheap" - the empanadas come as many as you like, between about 14 - 17 pesos each. I often bring a container and take dessert ones home.

Well, KB, cheap is a bit of a perspective. Sure, the empanadas are cheap, but it is SO easy to keep ordering and ordering empanadas. As many as I like isn't too cheap...... When we bring my mom down, all she ever says is, "When are we going to the place with the empanadas?" Well, actually I think she says "the little pocket things with the filling..."

I would also mention they make some mean meat there. I never actually ordered the steak or have been brave enough to order the a parilla, but I did filtch some of Deb's rib eye steak and it was fabulous. Melts in your mouth.

Oh and definitely order the apple empanada with the de leche sauce.

IMG_1411.jpg
IMG_1413.jpg

Oh and on the cheap beat, we love Parilla Mission on 30th. Pretty darn cheap and includes a 'hots' bar with assorted stuff. I have no idea what most of it is, but it is tasty. The green bits in the white sauce, which has been IDed as either poblano pepper or nopales, is very tasty. Sadly they often make a crappy margarita, so I stick with cervesa there. Good for 'typical' mexican. Fajitas, fish, etc. Nice grill.

Parilla Mission also has good tacos available after 6 PM,I think they also have the best arachera tacos.The homemade flan is nice for dessert,and the nopales in cream sauce is delicious.I agree with cvchief best to stick with the beer as the margarita's aren't the best.

Another fan of those Perilla Mission arachera tacos and nopales on the hot bar. I've also been wanting to get back to Las Palmas based on a particularly delicious piece of fish I ate there (5 Sur and 25th or thereabouts?), but I don't think they're open for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom