Cheap Eats schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also mention they make some mean meat there. I never actually ordered the steak or have been brave enough to order the a parilla, but I did filtch some of Deb's rib eye steak and it was fabulous. Melts in your mouth.

the parilla is amazing. menu says it's for two, but it will easily feed three people, and everything on it is great.

I like the steak, but would have it more often if it came with a potato. Alberta girl, dontchaknow.

and I LOVE the choripan. Mmmm

kari

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

Tunaman, I neglected to mention... I'd love to accompany you to empanadas! :D

Not sure if he is open in evenings or not but El Billys on 65th and 19th has the best poc chuc and grilled chicken you will ever put in your mouth. We went there 3 times in the 6 days we were there. Figure $5/head including drinks. He has orders to go and a small dining area. Just look for the smoke and you will find him.

5 days isn't even close to enough!! Aaaaahhhhhh!!!

any thoughts on El Pique, Abuelo Gerardo, Sonora Grill, Miss Dollar or Las Palmas?

Sonora Grill is closed.

We've only eaten at Las Palmas (not to be confused with the place on the square across from the ferry) once, but I thought it was really, really tasty--at least for a simple grilled fish lunch. I can't vouch for any larger part of the menu. I don't think they spoke a word of English, so my poor Spanish had to--and did--suffice. Also, I don't think it's open past late afternoon, though. We were at El Pique in December. Some chicken tacos my husband ordered were just okay, but the pastor was very tasty, if a bit salty. If you don't specifically ask for it with pineapple, it may or may not come so adorned.

Sonoro Grill has been closed for months and I don't think it is going to reopen.

El Pique is great - has been mentioned in this thread more than a couple of times

Miss Dollar = cheap and fine for an economical lunch

Las Palmas is a long time local favorite - I forgot to mention it in my list :)

Pretty cheap:
Chilangos Loncheria (on 10a Av, but lunch only)
Chilangos Taqueria (on 30a Av)
Mr. Taco (better than Los Seras in my view, comparable to El Pique for al pastor, but much smaller range of choices)
Del Sur (a few superb, inexpensive empanadas are filling, and the restaurant is beautiful)
La Cozumelena is now open until 5 PM and does lunchy or early suppery things very well
El Camaron Dorado has great seafood tacos for lunch or early supper (not just for breakfast)

A little less cheap:
La Candela (especially the daily specials - late lunch/early supper)
Parilla Mission (daily specials as above at lunchtime only. Unfortunately, they've been closed a lot lately when I've tried to go.)
El Coctelito (just around the corner from my house. Some really good stuff, especially the "mummy shrimp")
La Perlita *on Thursdays* when they have 2-for-1 lionfish dishes.

Check out my restaurant guide.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom